1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. dclutter

dclutter

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've done a little bit of night sky and landscape photography, but often its a bit cold. I'm fine with jackets/gloves/etc, however I struggle to find the right trousers. Did some research and ended up confused as there are so many different materials. Anyone have any advice here on what works well? (Water/wind proof, etc)

2. Nod

Nod Ethel Prescott

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I wear a pair of Rohan Dry Explorers when golfing at this time of year. Look like (relatively) normal trousers but have a waterproof liner. Plenty warm enough at -4°C and windproof enough for golfing. Keep the rain out, although the outer does get wet the liner keeps my legs dry. In colder weather, I have worn thermal leggings under them but got too warm!

dclutter likes this.
  3. philoldsmobile

philoldsmobile

Name:
    Philip
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    About 10 years ago I bought some leather jeans from a shop in Camden. Carefully chosen they do not look odd (don't go too tight / loose or too shiny) and are extremely comfortable. I haven't worn them in ages but they were awesome in winter when worn with a chunky jumper, would be ideal for cold night shots. I used to practically live in them in my late 20's early 30's but haven't worn them much recently.

4. dclutter

dclutter

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks, these sound like just the ticket! Will have to have a look into them.

5. dclutter

dclutter

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not so sure I could buy leather jeans and ever hear the end of it from my wife :)

6. Ian W

Ian W

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

philoldsmobile likes this.
  7. Tringa

Tringa

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    dclutter likes this.
  8. BBR

BBR

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Another vote for Craghopper. I use the thin ones, they are flexible comfortable and ideal for walking ( fairly waterproof) if they do get wet they dry quickly. If sitting still in hide or fishing etc then wear a pair of thermals underneath.

dclutter likes this.
  9. philoldsmobile

philoldsmobile

Name:
    Philip
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yah, they aren't for everyone! I'm a biker so everyone is used to seeing me in leather (though normally a one piece suit)

Interestingly if you spend proper money to get good quality (my pair was £100 nearly 10 years ago) and go to an expert to get a proper fit for your body type they look a lot less dramatic than you would think. In all the years I've worn them I've never had a negative comment or (obviously) odd look, but have reviewed a few positive comments from a couple of ladies

dclutter likes this.
  10. Nod

Nod Ethel Prescott

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I find leather jeans that look half decent in normal wear very restrictive/crushing on a bike and leather trousers that are comfortable on a bike have a really baggy arse off it!

philoldsmobile and trevorbray like this.
  11. Faldrax

Faldrax

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have a pair of Paramo Cascadia, not cheap, but very comfortable and warm (so much so that they have 2-way zips down the side so you can open then as vents when you're too warm)

12. zendog

zendog

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    and another vote for Craghopper. I use the unlined ones down to about 3C and add a pair of merino long johns for colder.

dclutter likes this.
  13. dclutter

dclutter

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks everyone - definitely a couple of options to look into now! Lots of votes for Craghopper.

14. zendog

zendog

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  15. Madmoggy

Madmoggy

Name:
    Graeme
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yet another vote for the Craghopper Kiwis. I wear them at night and also when out all day doing motorsport as my local track is very exposed and cold. I just got a couple of pairs of the unlined ones for the warmer weather.

Thanks for that zendog, might have to grab a pair for me, and maybe even for Mrs Moggy, as that's the best price I've seen them at

16. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just wear long johns under my normal trousers. Surprisingly warm.

17. Eloise

Eloise

Name:
    Eloise
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    +1 for Craghoppers. Have a reasonable wind proof factor and the lined ones for winter (or wear thermals under).