Beginner Different lens

Name
Gill
Edit My Images
No
I have been bought a early Xmas present a Canon EOS 100D DSLR. It has come with a EF-S 18-55mm II Zoom Lens. I was hoping that the lens would be smaller to enable me to carry it in a handbag, and a simpler one, is this something I can purchase or do they not exist? As you xan tell I'm a total beginner. It was very nice to have this as a present, but I was hoping for something a bit smaller.

Welcome to the forum Gill.

The EF 35mm f/2 is really small and very simple. Because they have been around for years there are lots around on the secondhand market. A really quick look found loads £250-£400.

I have the very simple EF 35mm f/2 and it's great, but is a bit buzzy. I suspect the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is very quiet, but probably bigger.

I like using this lens... but to be honest always disliked the EF-S 18-55mm lens. I felt it had rather poor image quality.

There is a Canon EF-S 40mm pancake lens which is quite slim - but you have a fixed length lens - no zoom function. If you want to put it in a handbag, a DSLR is probably the wrong camera, even a very small one such as the 100D.
What camara would you have recommended, I would like to carry it about. I have a 30 day return apparently.

What camara would you have recommended, I would like to carry it about. I have a 30 day return apparently.
Hi and welcome to TP

Can I ask what type of subjects do you wish to photograph, as you mention carrying it in your handbag, are you for example thinking street photography or travel photography?

Have you thought about future usage such landscapes?

Knowing what you would like to photograph will aid the advice of the TP members :)

A prime (single "zoom" length" lens might offer some saving in bult but I think one big decision is the focal length. I personally wouldn't be happy with either 35 or 40mm on an APS-C camera (which is what the 100D is.)

Maybe you can look through the viewfinder and zoom your 18-55mm in and out and make a note of the zoom length you like? That may be a good starting point.

I'd take a look at the Panasonic GX80 (this is quite small) and either the 14mm f2.5 or 20mm f1.7 (but read up on this lens as it has limitations) or even the 14-42mm G Vario which despite being a zoom lens is teeny tiny. I would personally stay away from the Panasonic 12-32mm as it doesn't have a focus ring.

I don’t know how much you want to get into photography, but a Canon G series serious compact may tick some boxes. When I’m on holiday in tourist mode, I’ll take one (or my phone). My DSLR is for when I want to take photos rather than snaps.

I have just bought (used) an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with micro 4/3 sensor. Mine is a MK iii but they are on to MK iv now with a denser sensor (20MP). I have combined mine with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (40mm full frame equivalent) and the whole package is really dinky and will fit on the flat of my hand without over-lapping. It will fit into a jacket pocket quite easily.

Wanting a camera to carry around in your purse I doubt you'll find a DSLR that will do the trick unless you have a really good size purse. But I'd hold onto the DSLR you got and go with a different lens that still won't carry in your purse well. The time will come when you'll probably want a DSLR but right now you simply want a camera to carry around with you. I have had several point and shoot cameras the past several years just to carry around with me. Have had Nikon, Canon and a couple other's And while I can't complain about the photo's, they simply did not hold up well. Recently I bought a Panasonic ZS 100. I carry it in a small pouch on my belt. The camera is 4 1/4" long, 2 1/2" wide and 1 3/4" deep. It has 20 MP and shoots photo's on par with my DSLR, Nikon D 7000. The lens in the Panasonic is a zoom from 25-250. Had a problem getting it going. Got it used and some guy turned it in probably because he also had the same problems. Another guy on here was kind enough to walk my through resetting everything to the way it came and now I love this camera! As I think I said earlier, it goes everywhere with me and if i find something I want to shoot with the DSLR I simply go back with it later. Truth be known, this Panasonic takes my Nikon right to the limit and to be honest, the only thing that is better on the Nikon are two extra lenses I have for it, a 55-300 Nikon and a 170-500 Sigma. Neither will go well in your purse. As I recall I paid $439 for the Panasonic used! Some might call it a draw back, the viewing screen on the back doesn't tilt. Guess what the viewing deal on DSLR's doesn't tilt either.

Now if your sure you want to try the DSLR, on mine my everyday lens is a Tamron 18-200. I doubt a more expensive lens would do me better. Also you'd get every lens length between 18mm and 200mm and for every day carrying around I never find myself in a position where I never need to change lens!

Photo from my Nikon and 18-200 Tamron:

pv1GLJbh.jpg

Comparison photo from my Panasonic:

hFJJesxl.jpg

Last edited:
There is a Canon EF-S 40mm pancake lens which is quite slim - but you have a fixed length lens - no zoom function. If you want to put it in a handbag, a DSLR is probably the wrong camera, even a very small one such as the 100D.

The 40mm is an EF lens, the smallest pancake and more suitable for a crop sensor is the EF-S 28mm lens

It was very nice to have this as a present, but I was hoping for something a bit smaller.
The problem with asking this question of complete strangers is that you'll simply receive answers reflecting their prejudices.

If you'd like some helpful replies, why not tell us...
  1. Why do you want a camera in the first place?
  2. Have you already got a phone with a built in camera?
  3. If you already have a phone camera, what does it not do that you want?
  4. How big is your handbag and how much space is left for the camera?
  5. Are you an obsessive, picky sort of person or do you just want pictures you can share with your friends, etc.
With that information, we can start to give you sensible advice.

Canon make a 24mm 2.8 pancake lens, very thin and more usefull than the 35mm lenght on your camera. That said some compacts are great quality now, and have zooms
Or if camera size is an issue, check out the camera body with a body cap on it. Only a bit bigger than a compact, ok you have to carry the lens as well, but it's only a second or two to put the lens on when you need it.

Hi and welcome to TP

Can I ask what type of subjects do you wish to photograph, as you mention carrying it in your handbag, are you for example thinking street photography or travel photography?

Have you thought about future usage such landscapes?

Knowing what you would like to photograph will aid the advice of the TP members :)
Well I walk alot so things like buildings, wildlife, people general photos to remind me of where I have been. Example I took my dog for a walk along the shore, he was playing in the sea, and we watched a heron on a tree waiting for lunch at a local pond. That sort of thing.

The problem with asking this question of complete strangers is that you'll simply receive answers reflecting their prejudices.

If you'd like some helpful replies, why not tell us...
  1. Why do you want a camera in the first place?
  2. Have you already got a phone with a built in camera?
  3. If you already have a phone camera, what does it not do that you want?
  4. How big is your handbag and how much space is left for the camera?
  5. Are you an obsessive, picky sort of person or do you just want pictures you can share with your friends, etc.
With that information, we can start to give you sensible advice.
1 Well I walk alot so things like buildings, wildlife, people general photos to remind me of where I have been. Example I took my dog for a walk along the shore, he was playing in the sea, and we watched a heron on a tree waiting for lunch at a local pond. That sort of thing.
2 yes do have a phone but camara is not much good.
4 lol my handbag is not huge, but what I meant is something portable, nothing with a big lens.
5 I'm not obsessed, just want one that I can take pictures I can look back on.
Would like one with a preview screen on rear. Secondhand £175 max

Well I walk alot so things like buildings, wildlife, people general photos to remind me of where I have been. Example I took my dog for a walk along the shore, he was playing in the sea, and we watched a heron on a tree waiting for lunch at a local pond. That sort of thing.
Frankly you will not cover such a range of subjects with a 'fit on my handbag ' lens.

You will possibly get and maybe be content with one of the above mentioned compact cameras with wider zoom ranges but they are far from ideal for best wildlife photography.

Having said that, taking wildlife (birds & mammals) out of the mix the handbag/pocket sizes compacts will be AOK/good for buildings, people & general(?) photography.

Think of photography as a life long and learning journey........ whatever camera you have now/next will likely only be the first of many over the coming years. So, for now if the early Xmas present with its lens will not fit in your handbag (surely you could make a bit of room...... slightly bigger hand bag?) then a compact may suit you better for the sort of subjects I mentioned above?

Last edited:
To get something around £175, the two cameras, which I would recommend looking at, are the Panasonic and Sony Superzoom cameras.

They are tiny and will fit in most pockets. Within their limitations, they can handle almost anything; from getting most of a room into the frame to photographing a Robin on a tree. Here are two examples: Sony's HX90 and Panasonic's TZ70....

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

Here's the Robin on a tree I mentioned, made with an earlier version of the Panasonic, the TZ40...

Robin singing TZ40 1000633.jpg

...and here's a wide angle shot of reflections in the windows of Exeter bus station, taken just a few feet away from a parked bus with the Sony HX90...

Exeter Bus Station HX90 DSC00129.JPG

I strongly recommend that you don't get dragged into questions of "quality" by the fanatical element. That is a rabbit hole, which leads only to great expense and often unhappiness.

Last edited:
Here's the Robin on a tree I mentioned, made with an earlier version of the Panasonic, the TZ40...

View attachment 407397

I strongly recommend that you don't get dragged into questions of "quality" by the fanatical element. That is a rabbit hole, which leads only to great expense and often unhappiness.

If the above picture is representative quality I strongly recommend that Alta thinks seriously about what level of quality is acceptable.

To me that picture is unacceptable for just about any application except one in which the subject is of great emotional attachment and any picture regardless of how bad it is is treasured. For any other purpose that picture should not be held up as any sort of quality to aspire to as sorry Andrew, it's awful quality.

1 Well I walk alot so things like buildings, wildlife, people general photos to remind me of where I have been. Example I took my dog for a walk along the shore, he was playing in the sea, and we watched a heron on a tree waiting for lunch at a local pond. That sort of thing.
2 yes do have a phone but camara is not much good.
4 lol my handbag is not huge, but what I meant is something portable, nothing with a big lens.
5 I'm not obsessed, just want one that I can take pictures I can look back on.
I think a walkaround compact will be absolutely fine for your use case.

A lot of reasonably priced options that cover a range of shooting scenarios competently for a budget friendly price.

I would caveat that you may need to manage expectations but as long as you're realistic, you'll be perfectly happy.

Last edited:
it's awful quality.
Thank you for your contribution, proving my point about the fanatical element.

The poster made it clear that her interest is...
I'm not obsessed, just want one that I can take pictures I can look back on.
I deliberately don't choose pictures taken to show every feather on a bird or every rivet on a ship, when answering such questions, because most people simply don't care. They want a picture that shows what they saw.

I wonder how many people come here looking for advice, only to be put off the whole thing by people talking about "quality" and trying to persuade them to spend money in order not to achieve their aims.

Thank you for your contribution, proving my point about the fanatical element.

The poster made it clear that her interest is...

I deliberately don't choose pictures taken to show every feather on a bird or every rivet on a ship, when answering such questions, because most people simply don't care. They want a picture that shows what they saw.

I wonder how many people come here looking for advice, only to be put off the whole thing by people talking about "quality" and trying to persuade them to spend money in order not to achieve their aims.

What we don't want is for people to follow advice on here, go on to spend their hard earned money and go on to get quality like that and be massively disappointed.

I'm honestly struggling to think how you managed to take a picture of such awful quality with a camera. TBH it looks like a truly massive crop from picture taken at high ISO and if it's anything other than that then it's doubly awful.

Here's a robin I took yesterday with a lens which cost £120 although you do need a camera to mount it on :D If that bird had been in a tree and I'd done a massive crop I suspect it would still end up better quality than your example.

1-DSC03744-C.jpg

The OP is free to make a choice and spend their own money but I personally would think very hard if looking at that example of yours.

As I've posted too much in this thread I'll make this my last.

Good luck choosing OP.

Last edited:
To get something around £175, the two cameras, which I would recommend looking at, are the Panasonic and Sony Superzoom cameras.

They are tiny and will fit in most pockets. Within their limitations, they can handle almost anything; from getting most of a room into the frame to photographing a Robin on a tree. Here are two examples: Sony's HX90 and Panasonic's TZ70....

@Alta I agree with Andrews suggestions given the limitations on size and cost and the range of subjects that you have listed.

Image quality is an issue - one of the reasons you are here is because you were unhappy with your phone images - but taking high quality pictures requires an investment of time and energy as well as money for equipment. It would be good for you to try a compact like those and then, if you found it limiting, to move up to something better.

Here's a robin I took yesterday with a lens which cost £120 although you do need a camera to mount it on...
Which has already spent most of Alta's budget and no camera.

The vast majority of people using cameras, as Alta wrote "want one that I can take pictures I can look back on". If we seriously wish to help, rather than boost our tawdry egos, then we have to meet their needs and not try to show off.

I went from phones, to compacts, to a 12 year old APS-C DSLR to a Full Frame Mirrorless.

I don't think it's obsessive or fanatical to enjoy high quality images but I'm also very aware it's not the be all and end all and is overkill for most people.

Budget, skill levels and willingness to learn along with the expectation of what results you can get are all important things to take into account.

I couldn't have got this shot on my compact I used to use for snapshotting friends a decade ago but again, at the time, I wouldn't have even wanted to.

Both approaches are valid but there needs to be honesty around just what can be achieved and what is 'acceptable' to some might not be to others.
P1018990 (1).jpg

If we seriously wish to help, rather than boost our tawdry egos, then we have to meet their needs and not try to show off.

Having known Alan online for some years, it's definitely not an ego thing, much more borne out of wanting to help.

I bought a superzoom compact and took it on a trip to Zimbabwe - the pictures were profoundly disappointing but convinced me that it was worth spending time and money for something that did please me. Sometimes you have to try a thing to find out what you want, and that may well be the case for Alta.

Sometimes you have to try a thing to find out what you want, and that may well be the case for Alta.
This is so.

When attempting to advise someone about a subject, in which you're deeply immersed, it is very hard to put yourself in their shoes. I discovered this when I was first involved in training. I found it fairly easy to train other experienced programmers and analysts in a new language or technique, because they understood the basic concepts and could relate the new ideas to their own experience. I found it many times harder to teach newcomers, because I had to slow down to their level and remember that they simply didn't understand what I took for granted. Once I learned from them how to be at their level, I achieved much better results for the trainees.

This is one reason I'm a little intolerant with people who recommend "better" kit or show their "prize images" to newcomers. To really help, they should think back to when they knew little or nothing, in order to view the question from the newcomers' point of view.

View attachment 407396

View attachment 407397
Is that robin a cropped photo?

I have been bought a early Xmas present a Canon EOS 100D DSLR. It has come with a EF-S 18-55mm II Zoom Lens. I was hoping that the lens would be smaller to enable me to carry it in a handbag, and a simpler one, is this something I can purchase or do they not exist? As you xan tell I'm a total beginner. It was very nice to have this as a present, but I was hoping for something a bit smaller.

the simple answer is to get a bigger handbag :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 407396

There ya go. I'd suggest the Panasonic because I have one and am very happy with it. I hesitate on the Sony because I have no experience with a Sony. But I have to admit that I have read a lot of good comments about Sony camera's and in your position I'd grab the one I could afford. if we were still in the film days what would suit your needs is something like a Kodak instamatic. All it did was take picture's to remind the user of a time and place. As I said earlier, hold on to your DSLR too. You may come to a point where it would service you well and it's already paid for!

I thought so. It might have been worth pointing that out in the first place. JMO

I don’t know how much you want to get into photography, but a Canon G series serious compact may tick some boxes. When I’m on holiday in tourist mode, I’ll take one (or my phone).
These are very capable cameras. As is the Nikon P7800 - sadly scarce to come by.

I thought so. It might have been worth pointing that out in the first place. JMO
Perhaps.

I was trying to show the original poster what is possible, warts and all, as she mentioned wildlife. While a few may well see it as a failed image, I'm happy with it and a few others have indicated the same.

There's another image from the HX90, just as cropped, here:

...again, some people seem to like it.

Last edited:
Perhaps.

I was trying to show the original poster what is possible, warts and all, as she mentioned wildlife. While a few may well see it as a failed image, I'm happy with it and a few others have indicated the same.

All the cropped photo suggests to me is that a phone can do as well - or better. But if you're happy with it I guess that's all that matters. :exit:

All the cropped photo suggests to me is that a phone can do as well - or better. But if you're happy with it I guess that's all that matters. :exit:
I imagine it would be an odd phone which could get that shot: the bird was about fifteen feet away from me.

With the TZ40's lens racked out to the maximum, equivalent to 720mm, that was less than 1/10th of the frame.

Back