different lighting methods for coins

Edit My Images
No
This is an attempt to show different lighting effects for coins. I think you'll agree there's some striking differences. But which one do you like best? I think I'm leaning towards #2 myself. :)

Ring flash only
Ring_only.jpg

Ring flash set to 1/16 and slave flash low and to the right
Ring_right.jpg

Ring flash set to 1/16 and slave flashes low left and right
Ring_both2.jpg

Onboard TTL flash
OnboardTTL.jpg

Onboard + slave to the right
OnboardTTLSlave.jpg

I don't like the last two as the lighting is far too harsh. Perhaps using a diffuser would help.

Last edited:
I prefer number one, looks brighter without being over bright. Don't like the shadow on two, three not as sharp as one, four and five look to dull. What ring flash do you use?

I prefer number one, looks brighter without being over bright. Don't like the shadow on two, three not as sharp as one, four and five look to dull. What ring flash do you use?

:agree:

Can you confirm it is the same coin in every shot?

Thanks all for comments. I'm under no illusions that these are great shots. It's just an experiment. ;)

Can you confirm it is the same coin in every shot?

Can you see a dirty blob near the rim at 12 o' clock and 4 o' clock on each one? Yes they were all shot this afternoon, hand-held with the very minimum of PP. Just all sharpened to 5 and WB changed to flash in Nikon ViewNX

I haven't optimised for colour. (or even exposure) The main idea of the exercise was to observe the effect of different lighting.

To have done it better, I should have used the tripod and focus rail, but I wasn't shooting for optimum sharpness, just to see what lighting works best.

As it happens, ringflash works quite well. I do prefer a bit of side lighting though as it brings out the texture better.

I completely agree that the background should be black or a dark/contrasting colour. I was mainly concerned about the lighting effects. Very much a quick and dirty experiment.

Another thing to try would be diffusing the ring light a bit. And also a light tent of some sort would give a more even light.

Wendy the ringflash I'm using is an old Sunpak DX-8R. Using it in manual mode. Camera was Nikon D100 and lens Sigma 105mm EX DG.

I am tempted to get a focus rail, do you find it helps?

I shoot mostly insects so it's not much use for that unless they're dead. For things like coins it can make getting the exact magnification you want much easier. And great for focus stacking. The ebay ones for about 40 quid are OK.

I can't say I've used it a lot though as it is more effort and one more thing to set up. Would have been perfect for a less quick and dirty experiment though. Slow and clean. :LOL:

The other thing I should mention is that none of these were taken parallel to the lens - all at a slight angle. So some error could have crept in there too. I find for reflecty things like coins, shooting them straight on to the camera gives really harsh highlights (but so does having slave flash on both sides as I found out this afternoon :LOL:)

Last edited:
I think that number one is the best for me, though I agree with those saying that a better background would help significantly.

No.4 as it seems more natural and shows details and colour range. The others look washed out to some degree.

Thanks, it is not on my shopping list, I am sure I can find something slow and clean to play with lol

I like #4,it shows a better contrast.

A good range of opinions. At least we can all agree that 3 and 5 suck. :LOL:

Two people prefer #2
Two people prefer #4
Eight people prefer #1 but half of them want a better background. :LOL:

I'm really surprised by the result. It seems as if the harsh, flat ringlight wins out. Perhaps that's why they sell them for macro work? :p

I think the result would be even better with a light tent, but that wasn't an option in this quick quiz. Thanks all for playing - I will endeavour to improve my backgrounds for future lighting experiments :bonk:

Last edited:
Back