Different model for backup DSLR?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I'm just wondering - why so many photographers have a backup DSLR thats a different (usually older/cheaper) model camera for their backup DSLR? I presume it's just because it's their old camera that they have kept as a backup but is there any other reason to have a different model as backup?

To me it would make more sense to have the same model as your main and backup camera. That way you use the same controls, same accessories, same batteries, same memory cards and they have the same little quirks.

If you were purposely buying a backup would you buy the same model as your main camera or a different model? If a different model, why?

Most people have a cheaper/older model back up as new features are introduced. The back up is still fully functional just that a new model has more features more fps higher iso etc. why buy 2 x 1dmkiii when a idmkii is still functional and a lot cheaper to only upgrade 1 body.

I have my old 30D as a backup to my 1D MKII...the only thing I can't swap over is the batteries but I have 2 for each so isn't a problem!!

Before that I used my 400D as a backup to my 30D...it'll be an ongoing story! Purely for the financial reasons latereg pointed out...I quite simply couldn't afford 2 of the same new models!

a lot of the accessories between 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D are all compatible. Most features are the same - although some thing like ISO and WB swapped control dials between the 30D and 40D.

There is a difference between a backup body and a 2nd body. A second body could be used along side an existing body - many wedding togs use a longer lens on one body and a short lens on another. Makes sense for the cameras to be identical.

A backup body is a reserve body and may get taken just in case but not used. Can be an lesser spec body provided it does the job.

I've always preferred to use two camera bodies rather than one as a backup, for this I've always used pairs: Canon AE-1s, T90s, F-1s, Mamiya 7s and now 40Ds. For me at least it makes sense to use the same cameras.

Interesting feedback. I hadn't clicked onto the backup/second DSLR difference. I guess I'm referring to a second DSLR then rather than a backup.

Does anyone actually use a second DSLR and take a backup? :D

I'd have thought the financial cost of buying the same DSLR as a second camera wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm sure most of us doing this seriously spend a lot more on lenses than we do on the camera, so surely the cost of a second camera the same as the main camera shouldn't be too prohibitive?

i was always under the impression most would be due to upgrading and keeping the older models as backups

i am planning it the other way, buying two the same (D200's) or maybe even strech to a 300 and 200 as a backup

If you're in a position to sell a less frequently used camera body at recent used value, after depreciation has been factored in, it makes sense to do so.

Otherwise it's probably best to keep it just in case, until you're in a position to flog it.

I don't see any reason why a second body shouldn't be one with a different main purpose to the other body/bodies. I use 30D's a 5D and a 1D2 and each has it's own merits but any of the others can cover it if required.

I would go for a second body that offers something that the first one doesn't and you'll get some value from your outlay.

Bob

Interesting feedback. I hadn't clicked onto the backup/second DSLR difference. I guess I'm referring to a second DSLR then rather than a backup.

Does anyone actually use a second DSLR and take a backup? :D

I'd have thought the financial cost of buying the same DSLR as a second camera wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm sure most of us doing this seriously spend a lot more on lenses than we do on the camera, so surely the cost of a second camera the same as the main camera shouldn't be too prohibitive?

Can you please give me £5K so i can buy 2 Canin 1Dmk3 that means i can buy the Canon 300mm f2.8 with my current saving's :D

I just got a 1Dmk2 at a silly low price, and tbh i have found the different crop sensor size was quite handy

I think i'll end up either getting another D80 as a second or upgrading my main camera to a D200/D300. Going to see how I get along with the D80 for a while first.

My main body is a 5D, but I specifically bought a 30D to use as a second body because of the 1.6x crop factor. With my 100-400L it gives me the same AOV as a 160-640mm f5.6 lens would on the 5D, and with a 1.4x converter it takes it up to 224-896 @f8, do you know how much a 900mm f8 full frame lens would cost.

I also tend to use the 30D more for macro work with the 100mm macro.

5D is best for portraits and landscapes!

I've tried a number of times to use different cameras and struggled. I've decided I need the same interface on both cameras as there are situations where I use them at the same time. I started digital with a pair of 10D and then moved to a 1DII and a 5D. The 5D had to go as I couldn't get on with the change in UI and so I then ran a pair of 1DII. I recently (earlier this year) swapped on of the 1DII for a 1DsII, which I think is pretty close to perfect. I have two cameras with the same UI but one for high speed and one for high resolution.

I've tried a number of times to use different cameras and struggled. I've decided I need the same interface on both cameras as there are situations where I use them at the same time. I started digital with a pair of 10D and then moved to a 1DII and a 5D. The 5D had to go as I couldn't get on with the change in UI and so I then ran a pair of 1DII. I recently (earlier this year) swapped on of the 1DII for a 1DsII, which I think is pretty close to perfect. I have two cameras with the same UI but one for high speed and one for high resolution.

This is the reason I chose the 30D as the backup to the 5D as they are almost identical except for size. Use the same batteries too which is handy!

Bit of a pain carrying all the kit around at the same time though. It is very, very heavy!

ever since i started making money from photography i hae always taken a second camera to any paying event and I've tried several combinations of backup/second body some worked some did not

canon 20d / fuji 609zoom (the fuji was a just a backup - all other combinations are second bodies)

canon 20d / canon 1d (the 8mp 20d was outclassed by the 4mp 1d in almost everything)

canon 1d / canon 1d (great pair!)

canon 1d / canon 1ds (bad combination that should have been great speed or quality)

canon 1dmk2n/canon 1dmk2n (best combination so far current set up)

My "backup" is a film camera, and always will be.

For me the camera is a tool, I have 2 D200s and an S5 Pro (based on the D200) it depends on the purpose of the job as to which becomes the backup and which becomes the 2nd body. The Dynamic Range on the S5 Pro definately comes in to its own at Weddings but it is painfully slow compared to the 5fps D200.

Of course I'd like it if I had 3 D3's (but who wouldn't) :D

I often wondered what is the best second body, one with the most interchange parts, grip, batteries etc , or upgrade the model and start again, but what about a len's like the 24mm-105mm L that is a full frame len's what other len's are interchangeable from cropped to full frame with out the expense of changing len's or are they all interchangeable from cropped to full frame in the EF Range , and does it effect picture quality.

Mark

EF lenses fit full frame and cropped. ef-s only fit cropped but not some of the older ones.(y)

Back