Diffusion material efficiency and effectiveness

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying out several different diffusion arrangements over the past few days. Two things I'm obviously interested in are how much diffusion different materials provide, and how much flash power they need. I did a little comparison today.

You need to use diffusers out in the field to find out whether they are any good or not, and I've been doing that. But it's difficult to get any meaningful "like for like" comparisons out in the field. So I used an artificial setup which allowed me to do a (more or less) "like for like" comparison.

I had my FZ200 on a tripod and took photos of this test scene. This is what it looked like using my pie tin diffuser with all the diffusion material removed.

0739 01 Bare bowl - no diffusion layers 1over32-- P1890523 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I used 13 setups and for each setup captured images with the flash power going up by 1/3 stop at a time. I started each sequence with it obviously too dark and finished when the blinkies on the camera LCD showed a horizontal band of overexposure along the battery. In each case the first overexposure was a tiny area (a dot, much smaller than in the above image) on the silver connector on the top of the battery. That got larger as the flash power went up and a small area blew out at the right hand end of the gold area. Finally the bright horizontal area shown in the above image blew out. For each setup I noted down what the flash power was when the first tiny blinky appeared and when there was a complete horizontal area blinking.

The setups I used are listed in the following table, and you can see pictures of most of the setups in this set at Flickr. This post has a description of some of them, explaining some peculiar names like "3.5 layer diffuser".

The orange lines in the table show the flash power for each setup from the first sign of over-exposure to the complete band of over-exposure along the battery. I suspect that shorter lines imply better diffusion, but even if that is the case, given the plus or minus 1/3 stop nature of the numbers I wouldn't want to make too much of that.

I wanted to compare the flash power needed by each setup so I tried to pick images from each set that had the same overall brightness, so I could see how much flash power each had needed. It turns out to be not so simple. The different setups throw out light of varying intensity at various angles, so which image is brighter depends on which part of the image you look at. So I had to make some judgement calls, and so this is a bit approximate, but give or take 1/3 stop here or there, I think it gives a good idea of how the setups differ in terms of the power they soak up (and hence the implications for the recycling time needed between shots). The "0" entries in the table show the flash power used for the images I selected for comparison. The selected images can be seen in this set over at Flickr.

0739 14 Flash power and blown highlights for various diffusion arrangements

Assessing the quality of the diffusion provided by these materials is more tricky. I wouldn't want to be too certain about drawing conclusions from this very limited comparison of a single, artificial scene. That said, it does seem to me that parchment paper is worth considering. I tried it out in the garden today, using just a single layer of parchment paper most of the time. As with most of the other test sessions I've done recently with different setups I haven't yet looked at them carefully on the PC, but on the camera LCD they looked quite promising, and parchment paper has the advantage of being very light. In contrast, the frosted perspex is rigid, 3mm thick, and heavy enough to unbalance the rig. It proved awkward and tiring to use, and somewhat limiting as I didn't feel confident about using it at some of the odd angles I sometimes use because the perspex sheet tends to slide around. However, it has the advantage that it diffuses well and does this without soaking up much light. A thinner sheet, if I can find one, is something I'd like to try.

Looking just at these test results, I felt my "4.5 layer" diffuser seemed to give the best results in terms of the diffusion (especially when comparing the most difficult area, the silver connector). It needs a lot more power than some of the other setups, but not so much as to make it unusable. I'll have a better idea of how well the different setups and materials work when I've gone through the several test sessions in the garden that I haven't worked on yet.

At the moment though I remain disappointed that none of these arrangements seem to handle subjects with shiny surfaces very well, especially curved shiny surfaces. It does depends a lot on the angle - some angles look fine but some look horrible. I'd like something that could more reliably give, at worst, diffuse and soft-edged highlight areas. Maybe I'm asking too much. I don't know.

Ah excellent. Good idea for a test and something we are all interested in. I looked at the flickr page, selected the one I like best and hovered over it. 4.5 layer.. so at least we are in agreement there. I'll need to study the power output chart more at some point.

I think there is a point at which there is too much diffusion, or at least so much diffusion that it removes any interest with regard to the light. It would be good to reach that point as you can then work backwards to get more creative.

Ah excellent. Good idea for a test and something we are all interested in. I looked at the flickr page, selected the one I like best and hovered over it. 4.5 layer.. so at least we are in agreement there.

Thanks for the feedback Tim. That is very helpful.

I think there is a point at which there is too much diffusion, or at least so much diffusion that it removes any interest with regard to the light. It would be good to reach that point as you can then work backwards to get more creative.

I suppose there may be a conflict/tradeoff here. I can't actually get enough diffusion at the moment to cure the shiny surfaces problem. But if I could the light may have become too flat/uninteresting.

Maybe a special high diffusion layer to add for difficult subjects? Would need to be quick and easy to get on and off.

I found a white nylon woven shower curtain to be an excellent diffuser, and like a white flash brolly, which material it much resembles, it's also a fair bounce reflector. And of course it's HUGE. You can hang it in a doorway and fire a flashgun through it, or hang it in a window to get a very soft light.

Last edited:
I found a white nylon woven shower curtain to be an excellent diffuser, and like a white flash brolly, which material it much resembles, it's also a fair bounce reflector. And of course it's HUGE. You can hang it in a doorway and fire a flashgun through it, or hang it in a window to get a very soft light.

Interesting that it reflects and transmits. Presumably a substantial reflection must cut down the transmitted light significantly. Mind you, for closeups/macro if you used a small piece of it in a diffuser with a reflective bowl then presumably a lot of the light that got reflected back into the bowl by the diffuser would bounce back off the bowl and (a fair proportion of it) out again, in nicely jumbled directions, especially if the surface of the bowl was a bit crinkly.

So many materials to try!

My choice would actually be 3.5 layer diffusion I think with 4.5 layer you may struggle with underexposure as flash can't increase power enough. Of course somewhere between the 2 would be ideal.

I'm getting close to being completely happy with mine and using on a recent soldier fly. (y)

Though the MP-E twin flash design is my actual choice.... :D

My choice would actually be 3.5 layer diffusion I think with 4.5 layer you may struggle with underexposure as flash can't increase power enough. Of course somewhere between the 2 would be ideal.

Interesting you should say that Bryn. Because I preferred the look of the 4.5 layer I went out today to test a slightly adjusted version of it. This was a 5.5 layer setup. This actually has the same amount of diffusion material as the 4.5 layer version. The difference is that the top layer in the 4.5 version was in fact two layers thick, directly on top of one another. This version separates out the layers.

I only did a brief test. This was because I quickly found that I was working at around 1/2 flash power, and for one of the scenes, I think it was the third one in the examples below, I had to use full power. This didn't seem sensible and so I took the top two layers off, reverting to the 3.5 layer version. I was then working at around 1/8 power, which is much more practical in terms of repeated shooting, which I do a lot of. I thought I'd carry on and see if that seemed good enough in terms of image quality. (The few examples I tackled with the 5.5 layer version also showed that it gets in the way more than the 3.5 layer version, and the outer diffusion layer gets significantly closer to the subject than with the 3.5 layer version, with a greater risk of frightening off the subject.)

I didn't carry on for long with the 3.5 layer version. There wasn't a lot around and a lot of what I did find were rather smaller than I usually deal with (and I'm not very good at), and blowing around pretty much continuously in a quite strong breeze. That was silly, but I tried anyway, and I did then find some subjects that were on firmer surfaces and/or a bit bigger. Still, there really wasn't much to be seen, and in any case I already had examples from a 3.5 layer session that I haven't looked at yet.I lost interest quite quickly and wandered off to trim a hedge.

When I read your comment I decided to have a look at today's images. There are 8 examples here, but please bear in mind I'm showing these as technical examples, from the point of view of the hot flash areas. For one reason and another I would regard almost all of them as rejects in my normal selection process.

The first example was definitely captured with the 5.5 layer version, and probably the second one. I think the rest are 3.5 layer. I think the third one is the subject I had trouble illuminating and that I captured #3 after I had stripped the diffuser back to 3.5 layers and tried it again.

I have done my best to control the hot areas in post processing with Highlights etc, but ...
  • I don't like the highlights on the legs in #2 and #4 and on the body in #3.
  • #5 and #6 look ok to me from the hot flash point of view - both are rather easy subjects though (there is some peculiar greenery on the subject in #5, but that is a different issue)
  • #7 has hot areas I don't like on two of the legs and on (I think) one of the palps
  • #8 has a hot area I don't like on the fly's back. It isn't blown to white, but the colours are really messed up.
The one that interests me most is #1. I suspect this is a bit better than I normally get with this sort of subject. I think I'm going to have another go with the 5.5 layer version. Perhaps it was just the angle I captured #1 with - that can make a huge difference. But it's just possible that the 5.5 layer version is significantly better. If I could get rid of, or significantly reduce, some of the hot spots then the slower repeat rate and bigger setup might be worth living with, at least some of the time.

0740 01 2015_06_18 P1900310_DxO LR 1300

0740 02 2015_06_18 P1900315_DxO LR 1300

0740 03 2015_06_18 P1900319_DxO LR 1300

0740 04 2015_06_18 P1900323_DxO LR 1300

0740 05 2015_06_18 P1900327 LR 1300-2

0740 06 2015_06_18 P1900332_DxO LR 1300

0740 07 2015_06_18 P1900341_DxO LR 1300

0740 08 2015_06_18 P1900377_DxO LR 1300

I'm getting close to being completely happy with mine and using on a recent soldier fly. (y)

It's looking good that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how it pans out for the sort of issues I pointed out in the examples above.

Though the MP-E twin flash design is my actual choice.... :D

Not sure I follow. Are you now preferring the twin flash to the single top down and perspex combination? Or are you using a different flash rig with the MPE and the Venus?

Last edited:
Back