Digital cross-processing

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
How would people rate the digital cros-processing effects in Aperture, compared to the real deal?

Just thinking that as I do all my work digitally after scanning the negs it could keep my options open.

As with most things digital, when it tries to replicate film it usually does a passable, but ultimately (imho) unsatisfactory job of things. I personally would get it cross processed properly if that is the look you are after :)

Film doesn't respond in a uniform fashion - depending on the film emulsion, how that emulsion responds to certain lighting (and their performance characteristics vary depending on the light), how exhausted the chemicals it was cross-processed in, all of these variables can mean different results, and with lighting even on the same strip of negatives. In comparison, applying a uniform preset gets you some of the way there, but doesn't account for all those differences as much.

You can definitely replicate effects created by film in digital if you kno how. I've created a few photgraphs using high resolution scans of blank, processed negatives that had the scratches, grain, hairs, name whichever authentic feature within & using overlay layers could transfer them into digital. it was quite effective, but nothing at all like the real thing. Not to mention, of course, I did utilise an actual negative in there somewhere to create my digital cross-processed photograph.

An example of what I experimented with in Adobe Photoshop CS4 in November 2011 ➝

_MG_25712.jpg

Slightly over the top on the layer opacity & blending perhaps but you understand what I mean, it has the effects & it is effective, but can't replicate the beauty of true film photography.

Edit ➝ I hope I haven't gravely misunderstood this thread :blush:

Last edited:
Cross processing will give completely random results, as a base concept you will get a negative if you cross process slide film, but there is no way of predicting what the negative will look like. My point is that doing this digitally will be like applying a single template to the image, no 2 cross processed rolls are the same, so why treat the digital ones as the same?

Back