Digital drawing tablets

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter is after a tablet with a drawing pen - something like the Samsung Tab A - does anyone have any experience with them or similar? (Not an ipad though!) looking at about £200 - she's 13 suffers with ADHD and is getting checked for autism also. She doesn't really look after her property very well so I am reluctant to spend loads. Would prefer something like a 10" screen Appreciate any help in finding something half decent

I have an autism kid too. My son do get a new piece of technology, anything like memory stick, mobile phone, GoPro type of camera, game console, or laptop, and they hardly lasted few months, if luckily enough to see a matter of some months, let alone a full year.

Could I suggest this: Buy only a lower end model on the second hand market, find the earliest tablet and pen model, and give it to your daughter. Encourage your daughter to try to make this last longer, and offer to upgrade if she managed to make it last more than a few months. The next time you buy another one, make sure it is still second hand, but a little more upper end model, give to her, encourage her to look after for as long as she could. By the time she is about 16-18 years old and if she did managed to keep the item longer than many months, then it is up to you to decide if you want to chance it by buying a brand new model.

For example: If a company had made a production, the earliest model a Mark V is can be found on the second hand market and still useable, their newest model is Mark X. You could buy Mark V, give it to your kid, if your kid managed to make it last like say 6 months or something like that, then it's broken beyond repairs, you could offer to buy a Mark VI on second hand price. If it lasted like 9 months, then buy Mark VII on second hand. When whatever is the next item you bought for her lasted like a full year or more, you could consider offering Mark X. If you see what I mean?

My son had a second hand mobile phone, one of those 3G models with keypad and SMS text messages, not a smartphone, it lasted a few months (the memory sticks I bought for him tend to last only a few weeks!), when it gets broken, I upgraded to smartphone, something like a unknown Brand-X low end model, and it lasted some months (longer than previous phone), so I upgraded to another second hand phone, this time an iPhone 4. Lasted some months, so upgraded to iPhone 5C on the second hand market. If he makes this one last much longer, like many months or even a full year, I may consider upgrading to iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 on second hand.

Also bought him a second hand laptop, it lasted him like a couple of months or so, then bought him another second hand laptop, but so far it had lasted more than a year. Although the HDD did get damaged, but it had been replaced with a SSD. If he can make it last a few more months, I may be temped to buy him a much more recent model on second hand or even consider a brand new.

Think of those low end models on the second hand market more as training wheels, until you are 100% sure your daughter could make them last more than a year, then it is up to you to chance it by buying brand new.

After all, second hand prices are cheaper than brand new.

Thanks for replying, I do usually only get her used equipment for the reasons you mention above, they sometimes do not last very long!
However for Christmas presents I like to get her something a bit more special. Only trouble is I have no experience of drawing on tablets, and want something that will keep her attention, but also wont upset me too much if she breaks it!

My daughter is after a tablet with a drawing pen - something like the Samsung Tab A - does anyone have any experience with them or similar? (Not an ipad though!) looking at about £200 - she's 13 suffers with ADHD and is getting checked for autism also. She doesn't really look after her property very well so I am reluctant to spend loads. Would prefer something like a 10" screen Appreciate any help in finding something half decent

I've got a Samsung Tab A and whilst it's a good enough performer I've found the touchscreen to be a little unresponsive and you have to press hard. I could just have a dodgy copy though.

I've had a Huawei M5lite recommended to me, it has a dedicated pen and pretty decent performance. Comes in at just over £200 for both at the moment - looking at the BF deals hoping for a decent voucher!

Back