Digital Medium Format Thread

@TimHughes
With the adaptor - I assume its the lenses that are wider (radius in mm) that work better?
Just thinking that the smaller lenses will not be worth keeping on it - eg voigtlanders and lomography.
But the R lens / m42 might be wide enough to be used...

Many lenses 'work' but they can have hard or soft vignetting. You also have to remember that those full frame lenses that do cover the GFX sensor are operating outside their initial design criteria, and so distortion/bokeh can get a bit unruly. Also some technically can't resolve the pixel density of a high resolution sensor but they can make up for this with some lovely colour rendering.

I have experimented with a number of 'legacy' lenses (posted images in this thread), but to me they all have a certain novelty value and unless I want some specific I always come back to native GFX glass.

I'm also fairly certain that the current promotion on the GFX50SII and GFX100S are because these models are about to be replaced, there are a lot of rumours of a replacement GFX100S II but it looks very unlikely that there will be a replacement for the 50MP variant. This isn't to say that they are a bad buy, its more of facilitating awareness!

Something else to note is that the field of view can be very different with a 4:3 sensor to a 3:2 sensor, I shoot quite a bit in vertical format and crop to 5:4, My Leica Q3 on a 3:2 sensor had the same angle of field of view as my GFX c/w GF45mm lens (28mm 3:2 v 45mm GFX 4:3). So you may want to think about lens focal lengths depoending on how you shoot.

The are lists around it’s not a simple thing. For example the canon 40mm f2.8 pancake works remarkably well.

This is true and it works well, and a very cost effective pancake solution, even if a decent AF adapter costs quite a bit more than the lens!

Last edited:
I have experimented with a number of 'legacy' lenses (posted images in this thread), but to me they all have a certain novelty value and unless I want some specific I always come back to native GFX glass.

I agree I’ve ended up getting the GF lenses I need

They werent as helpful or jolly as the belgium bloke. And offered less for the m10 in exchange...
So now its down to whether to bother to change or not.

Hi, I would recommend renting a FUJI GFX with a lens equivalent to your favourite FL for a week, at least. And then you can decide ---

In my film days, I had two MF cameras (I still have somewhere) I rarely used because my other cameras (Leica, Minolta, ROLLEI 35) were more convenient.

Really like those Quarry shots, they and Dinorwic are on my list of places to go this year.

If you want a wingman (guide :D ), drop me a PM, what I would say is that slate looks better when the weather is crap, bright sunshine does it no justice!

That is very tempting, however, I am terribly unfit plus I would probably moan, I mean moan a lot (famous amongst my friends for it) so much so that you would probably throw me off the top or push me down a mine shaft :ROFLMAO:

That is very tempting, however, I am terribly unfit plus I would probably moan, I mean moan a lot (famous amongst my friends for it) so much so that you would probably throw me off the top or push me down a mine shaft :ROFLMAO:

There can be as much or as little as you want.

At Dinorwic you can enter the quarry part way up (drive and park to get there), then you can choose to go up or down. Beacuse its level based, often you only have a short ascent/descent before being on the level.

Cwmorthin has a short hill to get to, then its flat for the best part of a mile, before the steep :ROFLMAO: climb to Rhosydd !!

Back