Digital photo frames - problems with Kodak SV811

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Just bought a Kodak SV811 digital photo frame from boots (was £199 now £99), should read jpegs, but having problems with files which have been edited & saved as jpegs, even when not very large <5mb, says "Bad File" ?. The Kodak support site offers no help, jpegs straight from the camera are ok, any ideas?
Anybody have any other digital photo frames you would recommend?
Many thanks Kevin

Hi, Just bought a Kodak SV811 digital photo frame from boots (was £199 now £99), should read jpegs, but having problems with files which have been edited & saved as jpegs, even when not very large <5mb, says "Bad File" ?. The Kodak support site offers no help, jpegs straight from the camera are ok, any ideas?
Anybody have any other digital photo frames you would recommend?
Many thanks Kevin

Sorry I can't help but in answer to your last question, I have this.

Hi Shak, thanks for your reply, had more time to play around with the frame today, tried many things, seem to have found the problem, the Bad File only ever seemed to occur when I tried to view files I had edited & saved as Jpegs, somehow in the jpeg option screen I must have selected something other than "Baseline (Standard)", ie, must have previously selected either, Optimised or Progressive, although this never made any difference before, it definately upsets the photoframe, today I've tried all file sizes & resolutions in jpeg & so long as "Baseline (Standard)" was selected I've had no problems, also found saving at Medium quality has no noticeable deterioration in sharpness, but significantly reduces file size & read time.
Hope this may be useful to others, I had checked the web found at least one other person with same problem, seems Kodak were very slow to respond & couldn't help hi, out.
Regards Kevin :)

Kevin - You the man. :clap: Thank you very much. I had the exact same problem and saw that many of my "edited" Jpgs were in Progressive Format and not baseline standard. Problem resolved. Kodak needs to send you a resolution fee.

Cheers!

I'm so pleased to have helped out, I know it was driving me nuts trying to sort it. Kodak customer service have never replied to my original question, so much for a large company. Anyway that said, I very pleased with my purchase, particularly as I got it for only £70 ish, Boots special discount day, etc. You will be aware the frame is a 16:9, any other format & I think the image is just viewed centrally, this may crop off parts of the image you want, what I do is crop my images to 180x100mm then save as Jpeg Med (5) qual, BASELINE, these show really well. I've semi automated the process, dragging each image off my no.2 monitor, to my no.1 monitor, then using automate, to place a marque of appropriate size, transforming the selection, then continuing with an action which crops, saves, & closes image, seems to work well for me.
Kevin (y)

Kevin - You the man. :clap: Thank you very much. I had the exact same problem and saw that many of my "edited" Jpgs were in Progressive Format and not baseline standard. Problem resolved. Kodak needs to send you a resolution fee.

Cheers!

I have the same problem and Kodak wanted to get me off the phone after I told them I had been editing my pictures (for years now) with Microsoft Picture It. Apparently the Kodak frame cannot actually read all JPG files. If they've been edited with something other than Kodak software, no go... So, with my limited knowledge of the issue, can you please expand on changing to baseline standard? What software can you do this with? Kodak? I hope? Can I edit all my "original" pics from whatever they've been edited with (Picture It) to standard format, or am I screwed at this point? Would I need the actual original picture (unedited), then make sure it gets saved to standard format? Thanks for helping a newbie.

Well done for sorting it Kevin (y)

Whats your knowledge of the wifi like, there's someone in another thread struggling with a pictureframe issue :D

I have the same problem and Kodak wanted to get me off the phone after I told them I had been editing my pictures (for years now) with Microsoft Picture It. Apparently the Kodak frame cannot actually read all JPG files. If they've been edited with something other than Kodak software, no go... So, with my limited knowledge of the issue, can you please expand on changing to baseline standard? What software can you do this with? Kodak? I hope? Can I edit all my "original" pics from whatever they've been edited with (Picture It) to standard format, or am I screwed at this point? Would I need the actual original picture (unedited), then make sure it gets saved to standard format? Thanks for helping a newbie.

Bump...

Any guidance on converting to standard format once I've edited to apparently something other that standard? Thanks in advance.

Hi, think you can either resave as jpeg (might loose some quality but worth a try) choosing Standard Baseline as the option. Failing that, re edit the original, then save as jpeg Std Baseline, I've had no problems at all since discovering this "fix", should only come across the problem if you've edited, then saved as jpeg, & something other than std baseline was used.
Regards Kevin, (repost if you still have a problem)

sorry for not getting back sooner, just noticed you originally asked for help on 281207, sorry missed your post, despite what Kodak say, think you can edit & save with pretty well any software, I use cs3, but sure most others will work, if you have a paricular pic you having trouble with you can always email it to me & I'll have a fiddle, pm me just to make sure I don't miss you posting.
Regards Kevin
ps, once sorted I think the Kodak frame displays pics very nicely.

Kevin... Much thanks. I previously tried to use the Kodak software to save the pics again that were trouble and that did no good. What I found was I had to edit the pics and save them again. I just used the kodak software to edit, no real editing of the pic necessary, just click edit, then save as. Worked like a charm. Duh, I guess. :amstupid: Thanks!

Does anyone have had success in playing video files that were edited on Adobe Premier or Proshow Producer on the SV811 ? I tried MOV, AVI, MPG files non worked, All I got were messages indicated "not a compatible format". The video file sizes I tried ranged from 500mb to 3.5gb. I loaded the files on a 4gb SD flash card from my PC, then inserted the card in the SV811. The frame seemed to be loading, but along side the moving bar graph, the incompatible file format message was displayed. I'm thinking the file size is a problem ? or perhaps the jpeg stills in the video file were not baseline files, would that make a difference in a video file ? ANY HELP anyone ?

I haven't seen any response to your video problem. Am having the same problem with playing a 30 sec. video on the SV811, even *** I have QT generated .avi and MPEG-4 transfered on a SD card. The MPEG-4 tries to load but breaks up. I wonder if anyone has had luck with the Compact Flash? Could it be a transfer speed problem vs. a file issue? Slideshows with audio work beautifully, but not video.

have had the same prob with avi files as above and get no help whatsoever from kodak:bang:..no wonder they're flogging everything off.

Hi there, I was just wondering if you could possibly tell me how i could change a bulk number of pictures to baseline without having to open and edit every single one? ive had the same problem with my kodak and it's saying some of my files are "bad" :/ thanks

Back