Digital photography "newby"

Name
HELEN
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

Back in the '80's I used to have an entry level film SLR (automated light metering if I remember rightly) but it was stolen when my house was broken into. I had some good pictures though. In 2003 my second hubby COWASAKI bought me a Canon EOS 300V film camera but I never really got to grips with it apart from "point and shoot" mode as I'd forgotten all I'd learned about setting up a shot. Because of the costs of developing film we decided to go digital. As you know, he has just bought the Nikon D200 and wanted to share his new hobby with wifee so he also bought me a Nikon D40X. I am determined to learn how to get the best out of this camera and get creative with it rather than just using its "point and shoot" mode. Any advice you can give on the best approach to learning photography would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Helen Hill:D

Welcome to the forums Helen :D

My biggest tip to getting back into the swing is just to take your camera everywhere with you and keep firing away (also read the manual so you know what button does what). I am sure it will all come flooding back to you :D

Hi and welcome :wave:

Heellooooo :wave:

Welcome to the forums Helen :)
Keep snapping, twiddle, tweaking, and most of all, enjoy it! (y)

Anything you need, just ask :)

Welcome to the forums Helen :D

My biggest tip to getting back into the swing is just to take your camera everywhere with you and keep firing away (also read the manual so you know what button does what). I am sure it will all come flooding back to you :D

Hi Jimmy, Thanks for the welcome message. I looked at some of your pictures - they're lovely. As for reading the manual, I'm plodding through it in small chunks but they're quite heavy going. You realise after a while that you've taken nothing in in the last quarter of an hour, then I have to put it away. I hope I'll get there.
Helen

Hi Helen and Welcome - what Jimmy L said really, keeping snapping and twiddling and having fun!!! :D

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your message. I'm gonna have trouble juggling two forums. I make silver jewellery and am a member of a jewellery forum which sends me about 50-70 emails everyday and now I've joined this one. I'll have to try and make sure that the forums are not taking up all my time, such that I have no time to make jewellery or take pictures!!!

Helen

Heellooooo :wave:

Welcome to the forums Helen :)
Keep snapping, twiddle, tweaking, and most of all, enjoy it! (y)

Anything you need, just ask :)

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your message and offer of help. I may take you up on that offer as I'm having a hard time with all this photography jargon. I want to do more than just point and shoot but haven't got a clue where to start taking pictures manually.

Helen

Welcome to tpf,

May your pursuit of photographic enlightenment be perfectly exposed.

Cheers digitalfailure. BTW is the tache real or photoshopped? It's very distinguished either way. Sorry I'm cheeky.

Helen

For now, I'll leave that to your imagination....If you find yourself starring into space wondering if I have a lead roll with the village people or if I'm a regular attendee of the Blue Oyster bar, feel free to ask again :LOL:

If you find yourself starring into space wondering if I have a lead roll with the village people or if I'm a regular attendee of the Blue Oyster bar, feel free to ask again :LOL:

Blue Oyster bar eh? ... seems you know the right places to hang out your tash ;)

Oh! sorry, my bad .... welcome to TPF Helen :wave:

For now, I'll leave that to your imagination....If you find yourself starring into space wondering if I have a lead roll with the village people or if I'm a regular attendee of the Blue Oyster bar, feel free to ask again :LOL:

Well, yes the Village People did spring to mind. Hey, I'm not making a very good start on this forum by insulting a staff member! Although maybe it's not an insult.

I'd better get out of my pit and go and take some pictures!

Helen

Blue Oyster bar eh? ... seems you know the right places to hang out your tash ;)

Oh! sorry, my bad .... welcome to TPF Helen :wave:

Hi InaGlo,

Thanks for the welcome. Saucy pic there on your gallery! I'm gonna go and take some pics.

Helen

Well, yes the Village People did spring to mind. Hey, I'm not making a very good start on this forum by insulting a staff member! Although maybe it's not an insult.

I'd better get out of my pit and go and take some pictures!

Helen

Nah he's not insulted. The tache may be fake, but he secretly harbours a desire to grow one like that. He's told me so. :D

It'll take more than you to insult me chuck.......only my pay advice slip can manage that feat in under an hour.

:)

Hi Helen

As previously said keep snapping and having fun.
I am new to this myself but have found these forums a godsend and learn something new every day :D

Back