Digital Rev price rises

Fozzybear

Suspended / Banned
Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Just noticed huge price rises on various Sony lenses.

18-105 f4 up from £329 to £361.90.

55-210 (white box) up from £139 to £174.90.

70-200 f4 up from £769 to £845.90.

50mm OSS from £169 to £196.90.

I wonder why? Have Canon and other prices gone up as well?

I thought it was just Nikon having price rises. Obviously not.

Could be genuine price rises or could be they are going on 'offer' soon and the price will come down again.

They've upped their prices on the Canon 70-200 f4 as well. Now up to £429. That's only £9 cheaper than UK prices. I think it was previously £369.

A lot of places usually creep up prices in January (if memory serves Nikon themselves will often do this in the New Year), presumably just the natural inflation cycle.

I guess things like lenses are a bit unusual in that they remain on sale for many years without change, so can't benefit from 'hidden' increases when they are refreshed, unlike say TVs which receive incremental model refreshes all the time.

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is now £735.90 after having been available at around £100 less than that the other day.

Their overall prices do look to have taken a hike. I seem to remember Panamoz doing similar a while ago (probably enforced).

Given Nikon's prices have just gone up to adjust for value of currency against whatever they base it on (the dollar I suppose) maybe other manufacturers have done the same.

Nikon 70-200 was £789 for months before Christmas, now it's around £850.

Thank God I got it for about £680 on Black Friday!

Someone's got to pay for all the production, advertising, posh premises. The way they see it is that they are still cheaper than UK retailers. They've built their reputation/brand.... can always buy elsewhere.

Last edited:
Everywhere's prices are creeping up slightly by the looks. Don't think the Pound's recent collapse against the Dollar and Euro is helping.

Sigma 60mm f2.8 dn - £152.90. £119 in the UK. Daft.

Sigma 60mm f2.8 dn - £152.90. £119 in the UK. Daft.

You often find that with cheaper gear (on Panamoz too), I guess the mark-up is much smaller everywhere, so with mailing it half-way across the world there is no way they can match local prices.

Back