Digital rev problem

kestral

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a lens from Digital rev 3 days ago.I was told it had been dispatched from Hong Kong yesterday.Today Fedex want a purchase receipt from me as the item is due into Stansted Airport for delivery by Fedex? does anyone know what this is about? why should Fedex be contacting me?:thinking:

Customs & Duties?

Did you order it from their website or their ebay shop?

As long as it wasnt from the HK advertised ebay site, their main site includes all charges.

At checkout.....

No Import Tax/Duty to Pay:
Any import tax/duty charged will be billed directly to us.

The end result is still the same no matter how complicated you want to make it. This thread will go the same way as every other import thread.

At checkout.....

No Import Tax/Duty to Pay:
Any import tax/duty charged will be billed directly to us.

The end result is still the same no matter how complicated you want to make it. This thread will go the same way as every other import thread.

Read the terms & conditions, CAREFULLY.

Alternatively you could always just tell HMRC:

"It's OK Chaps, I paid all of my duties to a website in Honkers."

I am just wondering if this a new system adopted by HMRC/ Fedex that has caused Pro Camera shop to disappear.:puke:

I bought a lens from Digital rev 3 days ago.I was told it had been dispatched from Hong Kong yesterday.Today Fedex want a purchase receipt from me as the item is due into Stansted Airport for delivery by Fedex? does anyone know what this is about? why should Fedex be contacting me?:thinking:

I wouldn't panic.

I ordered from Digital Rev on Sunday of last week and got an email from Fedex on Tuesday asking to confirm the value of the item.
I emailed them my receipt and the lens got delivered yesterday (y)

I wouldn't panic.

I ordered from Digital Rev on Sunday of last week and got an email from Fedex on Tuesday asking to confirm the value of the item.
I emailed them my receipt and the lens got delivered yesterday (y)

The tax/duty demand could still follow, I know of someone who only got the demand about a month and a half after the parcel was delivered.

Fact of Life is if you Import,there alway a chance if you go over the limit,you might get hit with charges.

A couple of place do say if this happen,they will reimburse you and Digital Rev being one of them.

:)

This is also why some sellers supply a VAT receipt after the sale so if it does get caught in customs there are not 2 different values. Shipping label says "old camera £34" and the receipt says £600 no VAT.

The tax/duty demand could still follow, I know of someone who only got the demand about a month and a half after the parcel was delivered.

I've had an invoice for tax/duty a couple of weeks after delivery a few times. I'm sure that's what happened the last time I got something delivered by FedEx.

I'm interested to hear if they do actually cover the import charges. In their terms and conditions of sale they state that aren't liable for them..

In no event will DigitalRev Limited be a party to the import of such products nor will it be responsible for any liability arising under the laws of any country other than Hong Kong Special Administrative Region for the import and sale of products available on the site..

I am just wondering if this a new system adopted by HMRC/ Fedex that has caused Pro Camera shop to disappear.:puke:

Why don't you ask Digital Rev on their thread on here and then update this thread - may put yours (and other) people's minds to rest ...

Digital rev have emailed me and said when Fedex get a copy of the purchase receipt they will release the item.If there are any import/tax charges they will cover all costs.:love:

Hope you don't go through the ball ache I did. Ordered a month ago, customs seized and hours wasted trying to get DR to sort me out which has ended up with a Paypal claim and me still waiting for a refund.

Presumably they want a purchase receipt in order to check that the declared value on the parcel is the same as the ammount actually paid. a couple of people on here have said that HMRC are cracking down on misdeclaration of value in general

so long as Drev refund the full ammount of duty actually due based on the purchase receipt it should be no problem for you other than being out of pocket for as long as it takes them to sort out the refund

Last edited:
Well! as it happened I got the lens and there were NO other charges.But the lens was really poor image quality(Tokina 12-28 f4).I contacted DigitalRev and they accepted it back giving me a full refund. All it cost me was the return postage to Hong Kong £23.20. :)

So, you ordered a lens, got scared by potential import tax issues, found it to be duff and have to send it back at your cost, but it's still worth a 'happy smilie'?

I think that counts as 'jumped out of aeroplane without checking parachute. Guy on the way down offered me a spare for a cost. Grabbed it with both hands'.

Sometime ago I got an expensive lens from WEX and others told me how much cheaper it would have been form DRev. I don't want these issues.

Sometime ago I got an expensive lens from WEX and others told me how much cheaper it would have been form DRev. I don't want these issues.

What issues? He didn't like the lens and shipped it back, the exact same thing would have happened with WEX.

I don't want the possibility of:
1. The courier playing football with my box (I drove to Norwich and tested it before buying). It was an £800+ purchase.
2. I don't want UK customs holding my new toy for ransom until I pay more than I thought I was going to.
3. I don't want to be wondering if my lens is going to have a nasty charge that I would have to pay, then wonder if DRev will refund.
4. I don't want to pay return postage to Hong Kong and wonder if it'll get repaired - or get stung for duty. Without proof it has been paid previously you don't know.

I may have saved 10%

So, you ordered a lens, got scared by potential import tax issues, found it to be duff and have to send it back at your cost, but it's still worth a 'happy smilie'?

Just to be clear no one in the UK had the lens for less than £570.DigitalRev had it for £399 delivered!

Also the point of the post was to inform people that I had NOT had to pay import charges and to demonstrate the level of customer service(A full refund with no handling charges at all) from a company that is in Hong Kong and is not bound by the Distance Selling Regulations.Also the lens was not "DUFF" if you read my post it was of poor quality which is out of the control of DigitRev.So yes my friend to me it is worth a happy smile face and here is a few more for you.:clap::love: :LOL: :wave:

I wonder what Digital Rev would do if someone obeyed the law by voluntarily declaring the import to HMRC and then claimed on Digital Rev's "guarantee" for the VAT/import duty.

I wonder what Digital Rev would do if someone obeyed the law by voluntarily declaring the import to HMRC and then claimed on Digital Rev's "guarantee" for the VAT/import duty.

I asked them that once, they didn't reply :cool:.

I've wondered about that. (I think I asked the question somewhere on TP a few weeks ago.) I'm very tempted to give it a try.

If it works, I might save a lot of money. I'm VAT registered, so if I make a voluntary declaration I can just claim back the VAT anyway and I can't really lose out. (Except for a little bit because HK prices are a bit higher than UK prices, ex-VAT.) But as I understand things, DR can't actually refund my VAT because I won't have paid them any VAT. All they can technically refund is an amount equal to the VAT I pay. (A bit like some car adverts you see when their special offer is that they'll pay your VAT; the small print always says that it’s actually a discount equal to the VAT amount, but VAT is still payable on the reduced price.) So if the plan works, I'll get a big refund from DR and I still won't pay any VAT and it will all be 100% legal.

What do you reckon? Worth a try?

I've wondered about that. (I think I asked the question somewhere on TP a few weeks ago.) I'm very tempted to give it a try.

If it works, I might save a lot of money. I'm VAT registered, so if I make a voluntary declaration I can just claim back the VAT anyway and I can't really lose out. (Except for a little bit because HK prices are a bit higher than UK prices, ex-VAT.) But as I understand things, DR can't actually refund my VAT because I won't have paid them any VAT. All they can technically refund is an amount equal to the VAT I pay. (A bit like some car adverts you see when their special offer is that they'll pay your VAT; the small print always says that it’s actually a discount equal to the VAT amount, but VAT is still payable on the reduced price.) So if the plan works, I'll get a big refund from DR and I still won't pay any VAT and it will all be 100% legal.

What do you reckon? Worth a try?

No. Apart from the possibility of proving a point, not too much to gain is there?

I orded a Canon 7D 2 months ago. I got an e-mail from Fedex asking for a reciept/confirmation of the value of the produce. After sending them the documentation i got a bill for nearly £200 pounds 2 weeks later for tax/duties......

I orded a Canon 7D 2 months ago. I got an e-mail from Fedex asking for a reciept/confirmation of the value of the produce. After sending them the documentation i got a bill for nearly £200 pounds 2 weeks later for tax/duties......

Did you apply to get money back from DR?

In my experience DigitalRev are well priced but the customer care is crap

My partner had her credit card scammed and the criminal ordered an expensive camera from them. The credit card company failed to stop the payment in time but contacted them immediately to tell them it was fraud and to not send the goods.

They still sent the goods which we got a week later at our house, despite numerous emails they refused to admit any liability and would not pay for the return claiming they didn't have a UK based courier (well how did the goods get to our house then!!). Even hinted that we where somehow at fault as well!

Eventually the credit card company had to send someone to pick the item up

I've bought quite a bit off them in the past but won't be doing again based on their 'not interested' attitude after a sale

In my experience DigitalRev are well priced but the customer care is crap

I've bought quite a bit off them in the past but won't be doing again based on their 'not interested' attitude after a sale

Ain't that the truth. I am still awaiting a resolution to my issue.

This is right, Fedex invoice after delivery.

Rightly so. Foreign companies can't pay VAT, that's the purchasers charge.

Back