Digital to film negative

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for someone to copy a digital file to film negative.

So far I have only found www.gammatech.com in New Mexico.

Anyone know of any brits out there providing this service?

Please note. I am looking for a digital file to film negative service and not film negative to digital file.

Many thanks
Sam-D

I guess an easy way is to get it printed (or print it yourself) and then get a film camera shot of it ???

tell us more (at least I am curious :) )

what is it ?

Why do you want film ?

I have done it the other way - digitize a print ... but the theory is the same, just use a film camera :) ... cheap enough too !

If the negative can be 10x8", take the digital file, apply a negatives correction curve in CS4, then print it on an inkjet printer onto OHP Acetate ?

I know that this procedure can be used for printing B&W palladium prints - you take a digital file, make a negative at A4 or A3 on the inkjet, then produce a "Contact Sheet" print using the negative, exposed with a UV lightbox.

Hmmm... I found somewhere not long back that did this in the UK... I'll have a rummage, see if I can find it

Thanks for your replies so far chaps, much appreciated.
However, my client (who doesn’t trust the longevity of digital files!!?) will be paying the bill. Therefore I am looking for a quick, reliable and professional service, rather than me spending time faffing around with no guarantee of top quality results.

Sam-D

CCimaging in Leeds do it, or at least they did.

They have a new Website, and the text describing what they do eludes me, this could be because its in a different place, or they didn't include it on the new web pages or they just don't do it any more, but they definitely did do it less than a year ago..:)

you could give them a call and just ask - 0113 244 8329

Last edited:
My local photocopying place in Loughborough does this but they're not an online company. Why not try a copy company near you?

ebay ... slide zoom duplicator

just a thought :)

ebay ... slide zoom duplicator

just a thought :)

They're for converting film to digital, the OP wants to convert digital to film.

Out of interest Sam how is you client going to get the image printed or are you doing it? Is it a negative they want for archival purposes or a silver gelatin print for archival purposes?

If it's a negative then forget my idea about printing on acetate, I've no idea how long they'll last. The only way I can think of getting a proper negative would be to make the acetate copy (which would probably have to be a positive) and then make a copy under an enlarger using an enlarger and some sheet film.

If it's a silver gelatin print then be careful who you send it to for printing, a lot of the companies that process film and make prints scan them and print them digitally. If it's B&W you can send the digital file to Ilford who can make a silver gelatin print for you.

You could have a digital interneg made (acetate as Kev mentioned) and then make a sheet film contact print onto ortho film under a very dark red safelight. You can then develop by inspection to get the neg you want.

This could then be used to make silver contact prints, or if you have enough room, enlarged prints. There are a few options in Ortho sheet film around, but you need a lot of time to experiment, and probably a lot of darkroom experience as well

You're welcome Sam.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Nevertheless my client, who was convinced they needed a film negative copy of a digital file for a long term archival purposes, has now dropped the idea and has decided that a copy on CD is fine for the time being . However, if anyone is interested, gammatech.com in New Mexico appears to be the only outfit currently offering a digital to film neg service.

Once again, thanks to all.
Sam-D

Last edited:
There are flyers for this guy in Sliverprint and Process Supplies in London. I haven't used his service before but they are both reputable suppliers so I should imagine he is OK. I know what you mean about the site though ;)

Back