Dilemma, should i take my camera skiing to Austria?

Camera to the Alps?

• yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • take your son's D200 :)

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Every year i go skiing somewhere nice, generally in the alps. Every year, when i look back through my iPhone photos i say to myself, I should have taken my camera. I don't have a fancy case which would protect it, I would probably only take a 35 or a 50mm lens, 18-140 at a push. I could also perhaps borrow my lad's D200 at a push, as i would not feel so bad if something happened to it, knowing i could replace it quite cheaply.

So this year, I'm asking you for your thoughts.

Off to Austria on Sunday and this year, rather than just taking my camera which I do every year, I'm going to make a conscious effort to take it out with me every day!

I pretty much always use a backpack and just wrap the camera in my bobble hat which has worked so far. Will force myself to take it out of the backpack this year and actually take some photos.

I was a competant and confident skier.
The last time I went, about 1/4 of the way down a fairly long red I fell onto the Nokia in my jacket pocket, contusing my ribs.
It hurt quite a lot to sky down the rest of the slope, and was painful for about 3 months if I recall correctly.

I'd hate to have fallen onto something larger!

Just sayin'

I was a competant and confident skier.
The last time I went, about 1/4 of the way down a fairly long red I fell onto the Nokia in my jacket pocket, contusing my ribs.
It hurt quite a lot to sky down the rest of the slope, and was painful for about 3 months if I recall correctly.

I'd hate to have fallen onto something larger!

Just sayin'

Yeah, but a bit of pain is worth it!

Alpe d'Huez in the mist by Jon, on Flickr

Tignes by Jon, on Flickr

Oh Narbs, you are teasing me. I think i will have to ask the boy nicely if i can take his with the 18-140 on it.

When are you off by the way? We're heading to Obergurgl and it's chucking it down at the moment :banana:

I wouldn't dream of going to Austria without a camera. Mind you, though we've visited many times we don't go in the winter - far too cold and too much snow for us! We love the mountains on a sunny day after a good walk up's made room for some tiroler gröstl or kugel. :)

12523242123_d49f0b823e_b.jpg

I always took my camera skiing, though I haven't skied for a few years.
Long lens in a hard case and camera and standard lens wrapped in a small towel, all in a cheap Salomon rucksack.
I was a black run skier and was prone to the odd fall. You tend to land on your side or front so your camera is unlikely to be damaged.

Wrapping your camera saves it from the cold and condensation. Only filter I took was a polariser, always attached for daytime.

Always take mine :) no point having the gear if I'm not going to use it. Usually take the 24-70 and 100-400 plus 1.4 TC just in case.

Op asked if he should take his camera skiing. This made me smile, the thought of a camera on specially made skies with little stick to push with going down a slope,say no more

Sorry could not resist posting my thoughts

I'd take my DJI Osmo and my GoPro Hero 4 Black and make a lot of use of my iPhone 7 Plus.

Just do it! Maybe you should get yourself something like a Fuji X-T10. Do you really need to carry a DSLR and lenses on a ski holiday? It's not a photo-shoot.
Now I use my Leica on holiday and wouldn't dream of carting around the big Nikon and lenses. Just get it insured.

We're off skiing to Megeve in the french alps in March. I was wondering the same thing, I'm a very competent skiier but still would be worried to damage the camera. But as someone said above, what's the point in having it if you don't use it.

The alps in the winter are one of the most beautiful places on earth in my opinion, why wouldn't I take the camera!!

Always take mine :) no point having the gear if I'm not going to use it. Usually take the 24-70 and 100-400 plus 1.4 TC just in case.
Take it - be insured.. Or you will spend the week muttering as I did when we went to Maspalomas and there was a bird reserve about 400 metres from the hotel! Spare batteries and more spare batteries.

The heaviest gear I've taken is my hasselblad with a couple of lens and tripod as it was a stunning day for landscapes. I find it ok to ski with in a backpack, weight is not really an issue. As my daughter pointed out to me today when they were young I'd being carrying lots of their stuff so I've had training :). I'm lucky to be living near the mountains and the chance to ski every week so I've had plenty of practice.

The heaviest gear I've taken is my hasselblad with a couple of lens and tripod as it was a stunning day for landscapes.
I took a Hasselblad to Austria about thierty years ago and never repeated the experiment, Even a single body with a standard lens is a lot to drag up and down the mountains and I only got a few pictures that were worth keeping, like this shot of the train leaving Achensee...

15110312198_00e1aea78e_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a keen skier and on a very few occasions I've taken my DSLR, I've barely used it, and then only really for the odd snap. Plus even on the trips I did take it, I found I left it behind in the chalet most days - it was heavy, and I didn't like the risk to it or myself, though neither ever came to harm. I now take a travel compact and find it meets my needs. I'm typically there to ski, have a laugh and a holiday. For me it's not a photography trip and my ski buddies soon get impatient with added photography faff on top of ski faff!

I've just been through the pics |I took on our first ski holiday, back in 2009, and it was really good to look through them, even though they were shot on compact.

Frustrating! More apres ski in that case...Maybe ice skating or sledging instead?

Every year i go skiing somewhere nice, generally in the alps. Every year, when i look back through my iPhone photos i say to myself, I should have taken my camera..
I'm taking my camera this weekend skiing. The problem is, it might hold you back from going full whack and enjoying the slopes. But you do get shots that you would otherwise miss. Having a CSC, an Oly EM5ii helps too.

Good weather and being above the clouds is amazing!
P4100356RT by ianp5a, on Flickr
And if your accommodation is up on the mountain, you get more opportunities at dusk:
P3160379_v1 by ianp5a, on Flickr

Be good if you could do some video on the way down.....:banana:
I can never resist that. You have to ski your best when you're doing it. But I rarely look at the results.
A friend into videography would always push himself to the limit trying to make the footage look more dramatic. But he would have to edit out the sound of himself panicking under his breath.

Last edited:
Back