Dilemma

Edit My Images
No
I’m taking a 16day trip to US and Canada over the Xmas period, flying out next Sat 17th.

Itinerary includes New York (4days), Dallas (2 days), Vancouver (4 days, including Whistler), Toronto (2 days) and back to New York (4 more days including NewYears Eve).

Probably mostly street (so definitely Leica M), urban and rural landscapes.

I am unsure whether to go through the pain of taking LF for snowy Whistler and other landscapes. If I do commit to LF (defo with Cooke PS945, probably also Schn110, Rod180-S, Fuji450-C), I’ll take 4x5 plus 6x17 back (8x10 a heavy step too far).

Am I being too romantic and ambitious lugging that sort of gear around North America? Will I regret the decision on day2?

Alternative (more practical and sufficient?) supplementary systems in addition to the Leica (35, 50 and 90) are Hassy 203 (60-120, 120, 150, 180) and/or Contax 645 (35, 55, 140).

What would you do?

I don't know how strong your back is, but if it's like mine, you'll regret it! I'd take the Hasselblad with 60-120 and the Leica as a back-up/street camera.

This has got to be RF country
I wouldn't even want to take an SLR, just too much stuff.
I realize this is no help at all since only the Leica makes the cut
My Bronica stuff, which will be pretty close to the Hassy, is 20kg on its own......bugger that.
If I was going it would be an MF RF for the good stuff and a 35mm back up.....that back up might even be a compact..:)

If I was going it would be an MF RF for the good stuff and a 35mm back up.....that back up might even be a compact..:)

That would be my approach too.

I'd take my Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 and my Olympus XA.

Yeah, I've got a lot of time for the idea that a trip like this for some people is a rare event, it would be for me anyway, but I'd just have to let that go, I wouldn't want to be smashed to bits by the ball and chain of camera gear, but some may be prepared to go the extra mile, I dunno.

If I didn't have the gear I wanted, for this particular trip, I'd look in to renting some in NY...:)

Well I would think a digi compact or something like a Nex or even a compact film camera (or Leica) for general shots........ and for scenery etc the Contax 645 if more convenient or lighter than the Hassy

The Hasselblad and lens shouldn't be more than 2.5kg (unless that model is a lot different from my 503?) Definitely a good compromise in terms of size and weight.

Also @joxby 's idea of renting something specifically for the trip is a good idea. Personally, I'd buy a Mamiya 7ii with 80mm and 43mm lenses and flog it after the trip if not required. About 1.9kg all in including spot meter for some lovely chromes :)

Your guidance is much appreciated.
Whilst my back is ok, my knees are on their last legs!!
So I'll take either 203 or Contax 645.
Probably also take Sony a7r for low light (esp for New Years Eve) which, with adapter, takes same Leica lenses.

Your guidance is much appreciated.
Whilst my back is ok, my knees are on their last legs!!
So I'll take either 203 or Contax 645.
Probably also take Sony a7r for low light (esp for New Years Eve) which, with adapter, takes same Leica lenses.

A Sony A7r with Leica lenses and the Hassy or 645 is a great combo, enjoy your holiday and don't forget to post your film shots.

Back