DIM4 - invaluable free application

S

Steve

I don’t know how many other people hate the fact that Canon (and probably other manufactures) have a directory structure in their cameras that sub divides your images into separate folders each time the counter rolls over a 100. This makes it more time consuming and difficult to download your pictures via a card reader to your pc, often resulting in you having to open several folders to copy all your images.

I have been looking around for an application that would aid in this process, there is an excellent program called Downloader Professional that combats this and many other issues but it of course costs.

Me being me I decided to continue my search and today stumbled across a free program called DIM4 that does everything I wanted. Hopefully it will help out some of you guys too.

This is what it says on the site..

DIM4 handles the copying of images from your digital camera's memory card to your computer.
If you take more than just a few pictures with your digital camera, you will quickly realize that you will need to come up with some sort of organization scheme for the hundreds (and eventually thousands) of digital image files that you will accumulate. Once you come up with this scheme, you will want to be able to quickly and automatically get the files onto the appropriate directories on your hard drive. That is where DIM comes in.

DIM only does one thing, but it does it well: it copies files from your camera’s memory card to a destination directory determined by your storage scheme. If any directories need to be created in the process, it will create them. In addition, the file can be renamed while it is copied to a more “useful” name than your camera might have provided.

DIM does not provide for browsing, viewing, modifying, adjusting, printing or any of the other functions of the many fine image browsing and processing programs that are available.

DIM is a 100% pure Java application. As such, it should run on any reasonable system with Java runtime support (e.g. Mac, PC, Linux, etc.)

For more information, a manual, instructions for setup etc and off course the download, go here

Hope that helps ;)

Is this why I currently have about 12 folders showing and only one with any images in? :?

CT said:
Is this why I currently have about 12 folders showing and only one with any images in? :?

on your card or on your pc?

If on your card then it's probably due to the way you have moved your images from the camera to the pc. You have probably used cut and paste in explora and then just put the card back into the camera. The camera will then just keep adding in any new photos to the last folder until it hits a muliple of 100 when it will again create a new folder and continue.

I have previously copied all my images from the card and the returned the card to the camera where I format it before beginning to shoot all over. This removes the mulitople empty folders but means I still suffer with mulitple folders though as I tend to shoot more than 100 pics on any one outing. This is where DIM comes in as when I upload them to the pc it takes care of all the pictures from all the folders saving me time and effort.

On my PC Steve - both in RSE and in Canon Digital Photo Professional. I suppose formatting the card would cure that. I hadn't thought about it much apart from it's an unholy nuisance. DIM4 sounds like a good idea to me.

I always format the card on its return to the camera and if I get any major issues (read once) I will format it in the pc's card reader.

IanC_UK said:
After a few teething problems with java and my display drivers causing the machine to reboot every time i tried to do anything ! lol Its all working perfectly !

Best thing since sliced bread ! ;)

I am glad you like it and the best thing is that its totally free :D

Hi,
Can anyone mirror this on their webspace? The site seems to be down, and I want to grab a copy :)

Matt

I am not on my main rig currently but if the site is not back up or nobody else has been able to help in the mean time I will host it for you later tonight.

Not ideal but better than nothing.

IanC_UK said:
It seems to be working ok now !

Thats good news, saves me a task later :D

If you still have any problems getting it though feenster, let me know.

Yeah, great stuff, it's back up and running. Ill give it a try.

I downloaded the demo of Downloader Pro and that seems pretty good. Free is better though :)

Matt

feenster said:
Yeah, great stuff, it's back up and running. Ill give it a try.

I downloaded the demo of Downloader Pro and that seems pretty good. Free is better though :)

Matt
This is much simpler than Downloader Pro but you would expect that from a free application. It does everything I needed so fits the bill for me, Downloader Pro may have spoiled you and this might feel a little under featured.

Back