Dinton Pastures with my 40D

Name
Steffan
Edit My Images
No
Hello guys, my first piccy that I'm brave enough to put up for critique.

I recently turned 30 and treated myself to a 40D. Took it to Dinton Pastures with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and tried out some HDR.

Here's my first effort, tried really hard not to over process it!

All feedback welcome.

Tempted to crop out the wider bit of grass at the bottom and the twigs top left. Don't think my cloning skills are upto much though!

Dinton Pastures with my 40D by Steff Parry, on Flickr

The two lines coming out from the right of the lady are very distracting. No use of rule of thirds. And the bit of tree top left is distracting too, either include the tree properly or remove it.
JMO

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about the branches top left. The lines to the right were caused by a single duck that I wanted in shot but by the time I was ready, he was being obscured by the wife and kid! I suppose a skilled person could clone them out, need to learn PS I suppose.

Out of interest, how would you have composed the shot for rule of thirds? A lower/higher angle to move the horizon up or down a bit? I cropped it to move the family a bit off centre, they were too dead on before.

Clouds are a strange colour, is this the HDR. I've never tried it so I don't know. I think this picture falls between a scenic and a family day out shot and succeeds at neither very well.

I think the HDR has worked ok here - I bet the original looks pretty flat and lacking in comparison.

I think cropping out the branches works here. Also brings the horizon onto the top third line. Cropping a bit off the right puts the people on a third too and leaves their direction of gaze clear.

The duck trails can be easily cloned out, the lady and child benefit from sharpening - (where was the focus point?).

I had a quick edit - (also removed the grass to left of small jetty - tried cropping up but that didn't look right - left the jetty too short).

I'll post it up if you're happy - or PM it to you first.

And I think it does succeed as a shot of a family day out - with a new camera. (y)

Thanks for that, just what I wanted- ideas on how to improve.

And feel free to post your edit, would love to see it. You're dead right that it was a candid family snap with a new camera!

Last edited:
Hi steff -just sent you a PM (y)

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about the branches top left. The lines to the right were caused by a single duck that I wanted in shot but by the time I was ready, he was being obscured by the wife and kid! I suppose a skilled person could clone them out, need to learn PS I suppose.

Out of interest, how would you have composed the shot for rule of thirds? A lower/higher angle to move the horizon up or down a bit? I cropped it to move the family a bit off centre, they were too dead on before.

All you need to know on how to clone objects out using several methods

Back