Dipper on the River Dove.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Having waited in a fairly sunny area with only a fleeting sight of a dipper, we moved further down stream and managed to see a couple of birds.

Unfortunately the area was in shade and not having my thinking head on, forgot to increase the ISO leaving the speed at 1/40.

A big thanks to Don (Lammie) and Ken (Stifler) for all their help and the great company. Shame about the cornish pasties though.

Last edited:
Wow what a great image, as perfect as you could expect in a natural shot, if I was wicked I would clone out the twig behind the tail

Great effort!

I myself have been caught up in the excitement of things and forgot to change previous settings...at least your image is useable and still shows geat detail (y)

mike you have done well as these where taken in shade (y) the whites are a bit blown but at least we manage to get a few shots of them, it was nice to meet you and i did manage a few keepers ;)

Wow what a great image, as perfect as you could expect in a natural shot, if I was wicked I would clone out the twig behind the tail

Good idea Peter, I'll give it a try.

Great effort!

I myself have been caught up in the excitement of things and forgot to change previous settings...at least your image is useable and still shows geat detail (y)

Hopefully I can learn to take my thinking head with me next time.

mike you have done well as these where taken in shade (y) the whites are a bit blown but at least we manage to get a few shots of them, it was nice to meet you and i did manage a few keepers ;)

The pleasure was all mine.

Nice Dipper shot Mike.

Not the easiest bird to get with a good background.

Believe it or not, I enjoyed the wait.

A lovely shot!

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciated.

This one has turned out quite well Mike, think i'd clone out the light circle in front of the birds chest. I know who ate all the pies.;):D

Probably the first shot of one I have seen with the bird perched on a branch, nice image, I like it (y)

A really good effort Mike, these are certainly not the easiest to capture at the best of times, and flying off into the shade did you no favours :( I remember the excitement when I first came across one and all you read and learnt about goes out the window :LOL: Pity about the highlights but hopefuly you will get your chance again, had a quick play just to try and reduce it down a bit using the highlights and mid tones, not sure what you think :shrug: and will remove if you wish.

Dipper_Web_filtered.jpg

Hi UFO, thanks for the help.

Can you expand on what you did to make the changes, I'm still learning?

Hi UFO, thanks for the help.

Can you expand on what you did to make the changes, I'm still learning?

Apologies Mike, tbh I am still learning myself. In some cases the obvious stands out in a picture, it might for example look too saturated or under or over exposed. Those things are quite explanitory even to a newcomer, so with a bit of adjustment to colour or exposure in PP it can be corrected.

With your shot I opened up the shadow/highlight options and made slight adjustments one way or the other until I was happy with it, also experimenting with levels and curves will benefit. As I have mentioned in the past, I dont want to know the science behind what each slider does I just move it about and see visualy what it does. I really wish I could explain it better for you Mike :shrug:
Regards
Rich

Thanks for the help Rich.

Luckily, I just found a copy of the latest Digital Photo magazine and there is a feature about using the Shadow/Highlight options in there. I'll give a good read and see how I get on.

Back