Dipper.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
First proper image this year, a (very) local dipper. The light wasn't great, so ISO 1600, which actually made exposure tricky as I didn't want to blow the white bits but underexposing would have resulted in a more noisy image than it is, so ended up compromising between the white bit and the shadows. The whites ended up bright but not blown, according to LR, so I'm happy with the result.

I tend not to take images unless I think I'll get a result but yesterday, I fired quite a few off as I was a little rusty. I checked the file number on my 5D and this was file number 6483, so that many images since 2017. It was just good to be there though.

5Div, 150-600 C,
250/sec,
f6.3,
ISO 1600,
600mm.

Dipper. by Dale, on Flickr

Excellent still and the video likewise, very good quality which says a lot for the 5D1V. I have the 150-600C too.

Love capture Dale- Not a bird I see often. Thank's for sharing mate

Les :)

Nice shot Dale ,the Dipper has eluded me on my local known stretch but hopefully will catch up with them pretty soon.

Love capture Dale- Not a bird I see often. Thank's for sharing mate

Les :)

Thanks Les.

On a 4 mile stretch, I must've seen 8 dippers yesterday on my bike ride and now I've located a nest too, they really are jam packed here, territories must overlap, unless it was the same bird following me. ;) :LOL:

Nice shot Dale ,the Dipper has eluded me on my local known stretch but hopefully will catch up with them pretty soon.

Thanks. They're suprisingly difficult to spot at times but once you see that white bit, they can't be unseen.

Last edited:
"Cracking" wildlife shot Dale.

Nice one Dale (y)
I am lucky enough to have them nesting a short distance from our back gate.
I'm leaving them in peace now and hopefully I'll manage to photograph the young fledglings next month.

Thank you Mike. Wow, mine are close but not that close, cool.

I spent a couple of hours with this pair on Tuesday, a respectable distance from the nest itself, I know exactly where it is. The birds were hanging around, the male was out and about and he'd call the female out now and again. Both would perch on rocks anywhere between 40 and 60 feet away at first. I let them do their thing and come to me, eventually, the male was very close. I actually got one of him closer than the image above but blew the whites. It's amazing how quickly they settle in human presence, something I've always found with dippers.

Yes, totally agree.
According to MemoryMap they are 700ft from our back gate so not exactly "at" our back gate :rolleyes:
Dippers are one of the most common birds in our part of the river, probably Mallards outnumber them.
The River Don is a really nice area with lovely wooded banks but these Dippers are nesting in the most awful part where rain water from road drainage empties into the river via a huge pipe, but they seem to be happy enough ;)

Yes, totally agree.
According to MemoryMap they are 700ft from our back gate so not exactly "at" our back gate :rolleyes:
Dippers are one of the most common birds in our part of the river, probably Mallards outnumber them.
The River Don is a really nice area with lovely wooded banks but these Dippers are nesting in the most awful part where rain water from road drainage empties into the river via a huge pipe, but they seem to be happy enough ;)

700 ft, that's pretty close. Mine are probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile, literally at the top of our street, cross the park and you're there.

Your comments about the drainage remind me of a nest I stumbled upon when I used to live in Wales. It was under an old weir that was crumbling, the dippers would actually have to pass through the falling water at times to get to the nest. They had 2 successful broods there.

A few years ago, one of our local pairs were nesting under a waterfall.

Last edited:
Back