Directional mic in hot shoe - will a metal base short out the contacts?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Panasonic G90, and a Rode videomicro directional mic which came with a metal base that fits the hot shoe so that the mic sits on top of the camera.
I'm concerned that, if I activate the built-in flash, that metal base will create shorts between the contacts and do damage.
The base came with the rode mic, and I'm probably being paranoid here, but can anyone please reassure me?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Last edited:
Are you sure it even touches the contacts? Usually the springs under hotshoe rails will raise accessories a little above the contacts, but I haven't seen how this works on a G90.

Thanks all. I did put a bit of tape on the foot that attaches to the mic, but it seems such a crude thing to have to do. I've searched in vain through eBay and Amazon for the obvious solution - a plastic end for the microphone - but for some reason they are all made out of substantial metal.

I'll also take a closer look at the hot shoe itself, and see if foot actually does make contact.

Based on Canon's hotshoe connections then I don't believe that there is anything to short out as the mounted flash provides the power for any signals and the camera simply has opto-coupled outputs.

I don't think it will or there'd be warnings not to use the hot shoe mount in a hot shoe, and tales of woe about the terrible consequences all over the internet.

Back