Disappointing Pole Vault Shots

W

whiteflyer

It was county championship weekend today in track and field, so we went to Blackpool for the Lancashire event. As everywhere is was a hot day, and I managed to take a few hundred shots, but I'm very disappointed in what I've got.

OK so it was my fault I moved from av to p mode by accident:bang:. I wanted to try to get something different from running and spent quite a while at the ladies pole vaulting, but these are about the best I came away with :( :(

pole_vault.jpg

pole_vault2.jpg

Is the first one a crop? Looks under exposed and brightened in processing. Exif says spot metering so i was wondering if you had metered the sky and under exposed the subject.

Caught the action well in both of them just a shame the first isn't exposed as well as the second. Guess that was a situation where manual mode would have been best so you could forget about metering once you had a decent exposure worked out.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I must try to learn and use manual mode much more often.

I think the main problem is the backgrounds are too fussy - you were trying - with wide apertures but if only the lens had been longer - 200mm? That would have thrown the bg right out at these apertures.

My advice and this is serious would be to consider covering the next event with a step ladder. Use this to get to the faces and the expression, but don't shoot too tight as you will loose the context of the shot.

Also, perhaps get as close as you can or get a wireless remote and shoot very wide from underneath the bar with the camera propped up on a small tripod. Finally, use flash.

Hope this helps.

Back