Disappointing pro lab batch scans

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently bought a Mamiya 7 6 x 7. I have a digital camera but was really looking forward to getting back into film. So took my first roll of fp 4 to my local pro lab. They developed & printed the film and I was quite pleased with results. They handed me the scanned images but when i got home the lab only scanned at about 5mg.
Q. How much better more resolution can i get from film negs using a scanner like the epson 700/750 and am i better doing that or can the pro lab produce better results at reasonable money. Must say naively disappointed with their batch scan, i was hoping for top resolution.

There is a thread from the other day on this very subject, I'm on my phone and can't find a way to post a link but its called question about lab developing.

Recently bought a Mamiya 7 6 x 7. I have a digital camera but was really looking forward to getting back into film. So took my first roll of fp 4 to my local pro lab. They developed & printed the film and I was quite pleased with results. They handed me the scanned images but when i got home the lab only scanned at about 5mg.
Q. How much better more resolution can i get from film negs using a scanner like the epson 700/750 and am i better doing that or can the pro lab produce better results at reasonable money. Must say naively disappointed with their batch scan, i was hoping for top resolution.

Yeah, I've never been happy with the scans I've received back from any lab, so I myself have a Plustek 7400 for 35mm and an Epson 4490 for medium format. I'm not making enormous prints, so those are more than good enough for what I do. If you're shooting a lot of film, these quickly pay for themselves (I paid under £150 total for both of my scanners).

If I really wanted a big print I would consider sending out single frames for drum scanning, but I would likely ask the lab to do a raw linear scan, so that I can handle the inversion (if it's negative film) and colour balancing myself.

Back