Disappointment lead to this... Bass Rock Sunset.

Edit My Images
Yes
It looked like a great sunset so I headed to Seacliff beach for a pic looking over to Tantallon Castle... I got there at 9pm... However the gate was closed over to the private beach with the "beach shut" sign up! So a quick replan and I thought... "Bridge to Nowhere" at Dunbar... However I got there and the tide was out! Yes... Id not checked my tide and sunrise app so I felt like my luck was out.... But it was a beautiful sunset in the making so I crossed the "bridge to the beach" to find a composition.... There was no foreground interest at the beach so had to just go for open seascape...

What one do you prefer? For me I think im drawn to the simplicity of no 4. But nice to hear others opinion and critique. It was the first time I'd used my new 10 stop filter.

1. Bass Rock Sunset 2 by Captures.In.Time, on Flickr

2. Bass Rock Sunset 1 by Captures.In.Time, on Flickr

3. Bass Rock Sunset 03 by Captures.In.Time, on Flickr

4. Bass Rock Sunset 4 by Captures.In.Time, on Flickr

I like three with the way the light is catching on the edge of the water. Also like 4 too, very nice. I think 2 is leaning to the left a little. All in all, a lovely set

I like three with the way the light is catching on the edge of the water. Also like 4 too, very nice. I think 2 is leaning to the left a little. All in all, a lovely set
Ive just checked... its about a quarter of a degree out! LOL but ill change it! The pursuit of perfection!

Lack of foreground interest as you say is a clear negative. Usually you can make the sea and the wave motion into very dynamic foreground, but obviously then you can't use 10stop filter and you have to get up close and personal.

The sky was clearly an absolute spectacle. In the photographs - with the exception of 3 - there is quite pronounced highlight clipping. It may just need a little bit more recovery. You have to be aware that in particular in Lightroom you are editing in ProPhotoRGB space and histogram may appear perfectly fine, however if and once you export to sRGB without proofing you are very likely to find yourself in this situation and not even be aware of it. Either you have to proof it or use a broader colour space which may limit where it can be displayed and used.

If the gate is closed at Seacliff then head down to Canty Bay. It is just as good and although a bit of a hike it is worth it. Park just at the top on the grass. At this time of year the sun sets behind the Bass Rock so may be one of the best viewpoints. Might head down tonight if any clouds appear.

Tough choice with your images. I like 4 but would take some sea away at the bottom. It looks a wee bit soft on Flickr but it is maybe the heat haze or atmosphere. I think 3 would be my pick as I like that it has NB Law and teh Rock and that line of the wet sand reflecting the glow of sunset is really nice and leads you through the image.

Lovely sunset! No. 3 for me, love the light catching the edge of the water and the line this creates and also the intensity of the sunset against the slightly cooler tones to the left where the line leads

Last edited:
Lack of foreground interest as you say is a clear negative. Usually you can make the sea and the wave motion into very dynamic foreground, but obviously then you can't use 10stop filter and you have to get up close and personal.

The sky was clearly an absolute spectacle. In the photographs - with the exception of 3 - there is quite pronounced highlight clipping. It may just need a little bit more recovery. You have to be aware that in particular in Lightroom you are editing in ProPhotoRGB space and histogram may appear perfectly fine, however if and once you export to sRGB without proofing you are very likely to find yourself in this situation and not even be aware of it. Either you have to proof it or use a broader colour space which may limit where it can be displayed and used.

There was literally nothing at my location to use for the foreground... sand, sea then the background and sky.

Can you tell me what you mean by highlight capping!? I only use canons DPP04 to process images. I recently bought Afinity photo but have not even had the time to play with it yet. I think I'll still keep it simple and use DPP04 for most of my processing bar using affinity for specific issues like focus stacking etc. Im very much not really into doing too much on the computer in PP though... I much prefer being out taking pictures with the time I have. Cant say I've ever bothered to much about my colourspace... histogram yes but not colourspace. Im half hoping I don't need to as the colours look ok to me! Im not overly fussy I guess in that regard as long as the image is pleasing to the viewers eye.

If the gate is closed at Seacliff then head down to Canty Bay. It is just as good and although a bit of a hike it is worth it. Park just at the top on the grass. At this time of year the sun sets behind the Bass Rock so may be one of the best viewpoints. Might head down tonight if any clouds appear.

Tough choice with your images. I like 4 but would take some sea away at the bottom. It looks a wee bit soft on Flickr but it is maybe the heat haze or atmosphere. I think 3 would be my pick as I like that it has NB Law and teh Rock and that line of the wet sand reflecting the glow of sunset is really nice and leads you through the image.

Is it ok to just park up the top on the Grass and climb over that gate and head down. The last time I parked there just for a look I got a right grumpy look from the guy in the big house at the top. When it's dry I actually thought about parking in the field opposite obviously not damaging the crops as there was a bit of space at the end.

I'd love to come down tonight also but not sure the wife would be too pleased... Promised we would watch a film tonight.

4 possibly a bit soft due to camera/ tripod shake to be honest... 300mm lens for a 90 sec exposure... and there was a bit breeze... did take the strap off and do what I could.

Lovely sunset! No. 3 for me, love the light catching the edge of the water and the line this creates and also the intensity of the sunset against the slightly cooler tones to the left where the line leads
Hey thanks.... Yes I liked that line too... I just wish it had been a little broader... tide going out would have made this work even better I guess as it was coming in at the time.

Hey thanks.... Yes I liked that line too... I just wish it had been a little broader... tide going out would have made this work even better I guess as it was coming in at the time.

I think it stands out pretty well - it'd certainly stand out enough printed big and stuck on the wall! ;)

There was literally nothing at my location to use for the foreground... sand, sea then the background and sky.

You can actually get very effective foreground by using long exposures (well no more than two seconds usually) together with wave movement, especially if theres streaky leading lines created by stones, rocks or sand. You would have to get right up to the water though

fwiw I think #4 is closest ... as the sky was the main interest it may work better with less sea and more sky, sometimes a portrait orientation also works with this type of minimal shot, and don't overlook a square crop either.

I agree with the truth teller (@LongLensPhotography ) there does seem to be some highlight clipping but that should be relatively easily sorted ... highlight clipping is when the brightest parts of an image are blown out - either at capture (so exceeds the sensors dynamic range) or at output (exceeds the display media dynamic range - e.g. monitor, paper etc). It may be the way you have output to jpeg. It can be caused by pushing the image too hard (increasing exposure & contrast for example). It is always a fine balance when photographing scenes with very bright and very dark areas. Careful selection with brush tools and other such editing selection tools can help rather than global adjustments. Not sure what is available in DPP.

tbh in some scenes you just have to accept that some areas will get blown out unless you get into the proper use of hdr or use filters such as ND grads etc. :)

Back