Disaster! Lesson learned?

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Just scanned a roll of T-Max. The whole roll is covered in spots to the point that it's ruined IMO.

I've never seen anything like it before but I think I know what has caused it and I'd like your opinion on it please.

I hang the negs to dry over the bath from the shower rail. Earlier today I cleaned the bathroom using the usual spray type stuff. The bleachy smell is still there.

I think the cleaner still hanging in the air has attacked the emulsion.

Does that make sense?

A couple of examples.

EPSON scanner image
by simon ess on Talk Photography

EPSON scanner image
by simon ess on Talk Photography

Well they're not ruined. It will just take half an hour or so of spot removal clicking.

Well I've seen it but it was dust spots...anyway the shots can be salvaged using Photoshop.

Morrisons dev

after I rewashed the neg and spot healing

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes, I could spend time fixing them but the main objective is to prevent it happening again.

Nah.........its just snowing

My opinion is, you need to dump the pinny and rubber gloves and partake in more manly pursuits....:D

I've seen worse, I had a roll of Pan F that had so many microspots you couldn't actually spot heal but, however I'm not sure I'd bother unless there was somthing your very attached to.

It could be stuff flaking off the camera, what camera did you use? I'd be surprised if it was containments in the air the damaged areas are too large (assuming this isn't a micro format).

It could be stuff flaking off the camera, what camera did you use? I'd be surprised if it was containments in the air the damaged areas are too large

Hmm...interesting.

I used my Nikon FG which I've already put half a dozen rolls through. I don't think anything's happened to it.

Are you in a hard water area? I've had a few come out like this (admittedly not as severe) and they improved significantly after a re-wash with bottled water.

I would try rewashing the neg firstly.

Then next time hang it to dry somewhere dust free where you have not been spraying chemicals.

Thanks for the continued input folks.

Just to be clear - this is the first time I've ever had an issue like this so I know it's not hard water (I final rinse in distilled anyway) and I know it's not more dust than usual.

The only thing different is the cleaning of the bathroom just before hanging them. Steven's suggestion that it could be a camera issue is worth thinking about, but it seems too much of a coincidence given I've used that camera a number of times with no issues.

I may try re-washing if I can be bothered. There are no particularly good pictures on the roll, as usual. :)

Thanks again.

Back