Disney World

Edit My Images
No
Should I take my DSLR to Disney World? I am torn lol. It will be just me and my 11 year old daughter spending 6 days at all the parks.

I would, but don't get too hung up on getting those great shots. Enjoy your time with your daughter, but don't let it get wrecked by the camera taking the focus away from what matters.

We went to Orlando in August and I made a decision not to bother taking my DSLR and got a cheap Casio compact instead.

Didn't want to spend the whole holiday looking through a viewfinder, so used the compact to grab memories instead and have a great time..

I agree with the point on carrying heavy kit around in the heat too, plus you'll maybe need to put it in a locker for some rides too..

Hope you have a great trip...

been several tims and not once with a dslr , i persume florida not disney land paris
were off back hopefully 2014 for a 50th birthday and will be taking the dslr even if the wife doesnt like it
however i wont be trying to set up shots and get the merfect jsut family photos and general one's as i walk around

these park are hard enough without speding time trying to get the photo 100% correct
one i would suggest is bush gardens very good for the animals and a few rides

been several tims and not once with a dslr , i persume florida not disney land paris
were off back hopefully 2014 for a 50th birthday and will be taking the dslr even if the wife doesnt like it
however i wont be trying to set up shots and get the merfect jsut family photos and general one's as i walk around

these park are hard enough without speding time trying to get the photo 100% correct
one i would suggest is bush gardens very good for the animals and a few rides

Kennedy Space Centre Ultimate tour. :)

Thanks for all your input. I think I'm just going to take my waterproof Sony instead of my big D SLR. I think the best statement was don't spend your vacation looking through the viewfinder.

i took my dslr over the orlando and the misses took the compact.... we came back with loads of photos and mainly used the compact for mini videos

They have pro togs around the parks they give you a card with a unique reference number and you can buy your photos online when you get home, we brought several. Can't recall what they cost.

Pictures looked good and some had digital special affects adding Disney characters.

As spoony suggested, use the photo card system. Take your own camera as well, but keep it light and simple. If your budget allows, take in a few character meals. Great thing about the photo section of wdw website is that you can upload your own pics and then make up a photo book using your pics, the photo card pics and wdw stock photos. Not cheap, but ours is very treasured.

I have the good fortune to go to Florida every year.

The light quality there is so good that a good quality compact camera / travel zoom returns excellent results - and certainly allows for a low enough ISO, small enough aperture and high enough shutter speed to allow for crisp, pin-sharp shots. with a decent depth of field.

This year I used a Sony HX9V along to the parks - which has got a 16X zoom (decent) lens on it - and the shots, whilst not quite in the same league as the Canon 7D, for example, were fabulous for what they were (ie great family shots of a fabuluos holiday destination.) It also has a brilliant semi - steady shot facility for hand held video which is remarkable for its size. (Check a few reviews on Youtube.) I think the HX20V and HX30V have replaced it now.

There's enough quality / detail in the JPEGs (no RAW) to recover dark detail when you're shot with heavy light in the background.

I took the 7D with me as well, in truth - though used it on leisurely walks around the villa where I was looking for the more artistic type shots during a time the family wouldn't be fed up waiting for me!

If anyone is looking to get shots that will win competitions in the local camera clubs - then that is, of course, a different story - though if that is the case - be careful you're not missing out on the core reason you are in that part of the world anyway - to enjoy the experiences, sights and sounds!

Have a great trip!

Going against the trend here I would take the DSLR.
I had an unexpected trip in October for 2 days to the Kissimmee area, to go and do the parks (people in south carolina freaked us out a little so we headed south for 9 hours) There was no issue with the camera in Disney, just incase your not aware they don't let you use flash photography for almost anything inside, you will see the occasional flash and people do get "told off" as it distracts everyone as most things are in the dark to hide the magic. Anyway no problems taking the camera in its bag on any ride at Disney just secure it round your legs or waist and your good to go.
Anyone remember Pirates before Johnny Depp?
385601_10151099021938387_1202782951_n.jpg

Next time I would even consider taking a gorilla pod for the fireworks, stick it in a locker in the morning and get it for the fireworks later. Yup it will be 2014 when we head back there for new fantasyland and the 50th anni, the best firework display I ever saw was the 50th fireworks at Disney Land an incredible 25 minute display set to music from all disney related films timed to perfection.

Universal was a different matter, they have installed lockers at most of the rides now and don't allow you to take bags or anything on, even asking for mobile phones and wallets to be left with a non rider or in a locker. Lockers are free for a short period which in october the parks are quiet so not really an issue but the lockers were still busy and some banks were unavailable due to being full. We were walking streight on to hulk, duling dragons and even had our own boat for jurrasic park it only got busy for Harry potter and we got 40 minutes free locker use and it took us about 30 minutes to get on and back out and this was a quiet period. Maybe the times change as the parks get buiser I don't know? Those who have been will have an idea how busy parks are but we did both Universal and Islands of Adventure (skipped Dr Zeuss) in the same day hitting some rides twice. Going in September and October is brilliant.

My thoughts are bassed on someone who has been 9 times so its not new and we know what bits we want to do and skip so I can play with the camera but to be honest its not about createing peices of art its getting nice photos of a holiday so a lot are snaps but it does give you the ability to get a little creative some times which could be difficult with some compacts?

I know it's a old thread but I'm due too go with family this year for the first time and I'm looking at taking my Fuji X-T1 so I've got the something like DSLR photo quality and control yet in more compact size and just use kit lens.. Would take 55-200mm for animal park stuff and I'd keep it all in smallest size bag i have :)

I take it the lockers are all going too be very secure that's my only concern leaving £1000+ gear in a locker...

I've been a few times and never taken my DSLR, always taken a 'decent' compact that you can slip into your pocket (zipped...wouldn't want it coming out in a loop or something) for the rides and haven't had to bother with lockers in the past. Maybe that's a new thing. I haven't been for a couple of years, I'll find out in September.

Id rather just have a compact, or atleast something light. Find it hard enough standing with any kind of bag over my shoulder for the day, standing or walking around.
Even when been to comic con and have had nothing in the bag, just ready to hold it for items/gifts later on, always find just eats into shoulder, even if well padded.
Having a heavy DSLR would be hell around neck

I'd concur with most of the above. I've been to Florida countless times now mainly for fishing but when the kids were younger did all the Disney, Sea World, Universal stuff several years running. A DSLR is useful but a good compact in the theme parks, especially Disney & Universal is probably better. If you're going peak season you'll get crowds and the heat lugging that gear around will knacker you. A tip I'd give you is go early, come out before it gets too hot & then return late afternoon. At Disney make sure you do the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom and they also do an 'Electric Parade'. If you're doing the rides they normally won't let you take a large camera on for obvious safety reasons as 2-3+ kgs of camera flailing around will do someone/the camera or both some damage. Enjoy!

I'll consider the compact but I'm still likely too take the fuji and kit lens it's 712g and I have a small Lowepro streamline bag so it's under 1kg in weight and fairly compact so i can try it out and see how i go.. Could always buy a compact at a decent price there if needed i suppose ?

I'm going during first week of August.

I'll consider the compact but I'm still likely too take the fuji and kit lens it's 712g and I have a small Lowepro streamline bag so it's under 1kg in weight and fairly compact so i can try it out and see how i go.. Could always buy a compact at a decent price there if needed i suppose ?

I'm going during first week of August.

Could readily buy one out there just be mindful that it is likely to be US spec as regards connection leads and remember your warranty may not be accepted here.

We went last year. I did fleetingly think about taking the 7D, then quickly decided against it.
I took my Panasonic TZ8, and also bought a Panasonic DMC-FT20 to take too (with it being waterproof).
I used both cameras. Mostly the FT20 tbh because it was that little bit smaller (yes, theyre both compact P&S's ;))
I wore cargo type shorts every day so it was great having a small camera in a leg pocket, waterproof too, so I didn't have to worry about water rides etc.

I had absolutely zero regrets about not taking the 7D, I would have hated it. Sure I would have liked to have done some photography while there, maybe of the fireworks etc (Wishes was just amazing), but I'm more glad I spent the time with my family and like said above, not through a viewfinder.

Aside from the comfortability issues (especially in August), you're likely to miss most of the magic of Disney if you're too wrapped up in getting the perfect shot.
Think about what you want to use the photos for. Do you want actual artistically good, photographer style photos? (Ie, like of the animals), or do you just want a record of the trip to remember. Are you going to get them printed, blown up and framed like you would a Wildlife photographer would?

Also, we got Disney Photopass Plus. It was $140, and it lasted the two weeks we were there in all parks.
At your first park you go in, get a plastic card which hangs on a lanyard around your neck, and all throughout the parks are Disney photographers taking staged shots infront of alot of landmarks (The castle etc). You just rock up, smile, let them do their thing and they just scan the barcode around your neck.

At the end of the holiday you log in and order the free CD of full-res shots to be posted. All included.

Oh and all ride photos are included too, so you don't need to buy any of those. Just queue up at the end of the ride as if you were buying, scan your card and walk away. (Although printed photos arent included).

Well worth the money IMO.

I've done all the compact in cargo shorts pocket thing myself on different holidays and tbh i would never go too over the top taking photos i'll more try grab random ones of the moment, i wouldn't go too the extreme of making a perfect photo of everything :)
The buying a compact over there wouldn't bother too much about the non uk plug as now there either a 8 way style power lead that goes in the charger or micro usb.

I think i will take the Fuji and try it on a day out see how i go with it but im thinking about buying a decent compact beforehand if there's a good deal i spot too take along otherwise i'll get one there.. Ive already have had a few decent ones like the RX100 and sold that due too lack of use :rolleyes:

if its just you and your daughter leave the DSLR at home theres so much to do there

take it, you can always leave it in your room!

I've done both, sometimes the dslr was a pain in the ar** other times I was delighted it was to hand. There are also loads of people around the parks just employed to take pics... you can be very cheeky (and they really don't mind) if you ask them nicely to use your camera and take the same shot... ;)

you'll have a fab time, and don't forget to book ahead for the disney dining experiences, try the crystal palace for breakfast (pooh & friends!) and if you can get a reservation, cinderella's castle for dinner is awesome (but the disney princesses are a bit freaky tbh... especially the ones with turquoise contact lenses!)

I take it the lockers are all going too be very secure that's my only concern leaving £1000+ gear in a locker...

They use fingerprint recognition to lock and unlock, I had a 1Dmk4 with 24-70 on the front no problem with security :) I wasnt on a family holiday with little people and have been multiple times so it wasnt a huge issue for me and the camera was with me becasue we had been through the smokey mountains and a few other places on the trip but it was a holiday not a photo shoot Weight wasnt an issue either but I am used to a bigger bag with more weight so it was nice to have a lighter bag on my shoulder.

On the other hand I did take the 70-200 to new york along with the 16-35 and a 580EX2 and an 8-15mm that bag nearly killed me carrying it round for most of the week, left the 24-70 in the room safe. But to be honest I was glad I took the 70-200 just love shooting with that lens.

I would still take the DSLR on holiday though but not with all the lenses.

Back