Distance information for Canon?

Name
Glyn
Edit My Images
Yes
When I first got into digital with a 10D I noticed that the shooting distance formed part of the EXIF data but somewhere along the line (20D/5D) this really useful data seems to have vanished? :(

Maybe I have missed something here but it was useful not only to see for yourself just what the shooting distance was but also for earlier versions of programs such as DxO to pick up the info from the EXIF automatically to apply some distance related lens corrections etc.

Have I just missed something here...ie. not looked hard enough or is it really missing?

If it was a conscious decision from Canon to remove this info (why would they do that?) did they ever add it back in? :wacky:

It might be software related but I can't access most of my own photo library at the moment or else I could take a look to make sure I am not talking rubbish! :bonk:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

It's in the Exif, if the lens reports it. Distance data is used by the camera for exposure measurement in evaluative mode, and with flash.

For me as a bird-on-a-stick type tog I find it probably the most useful bit in the exif: Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't (referring to other peoples pics.) I have also noticed with my own pics that at longer distances certain distances crop up time and time again - do I take pics at 57m or 99m that often?

For me as a bird-on-a-stick type tog I find it probably the most useful bit in the exif: Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't (referring to other peoples pics.) I have also noticed with my own pics that at longer distances certain distances crop up time and time again - do I take pics at 57m or 99m that often?
The term implies that you're reading the actual distance that the lens was focussed at.....it's not.
Canon lenses return two values....near focus and far focus and these are chosen from a table of possibilities rather than an exact reading. The value returned to the EXIF is = (near + far) /2
When you review your shots, anything that falls within certain limits will only have a few possibilities. The limited number of distance value options from a lens are quite close towards the MFD end and only a few exist as you tend towards infinity.

Bob

Thanks Bob (y) I thought there must be something up as I only ever see either 56.7m or 98.3m for any long shots :thinking:

It is in the Exif, although I've read that a lot of the companies are no longer implementing it because it is so enormously inaccurate. It reckons that the subject in this image is 0.4m away!

LightPollution-3.jpg

It is in the Exif, although I've read that a lot of the companies are no longer implementing it because it is so enormously inaccurate. It reckons that the subject in this image is 0.4m away!

LightPollution-3.jpg

That could be 0.4 millenium :)

Time Space Compression? :naughty:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well in my case I used the same Canon lenses on the 10D than I did on later bodies and only the 10D showed the shooting distance embedded in the EXIF I believe.

Maybe it was because the distance info was so unreliable that Canon decided to hide it?

-=Glyn=-

What were the lenses?

From memory when I had the 10D I was using genuine Canon lenses;

17-40 f/4L
70-200 f/4L
50mm f/1.4

I can double-check when I am able to get the EXIF from those early digital pictures...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Back