Divine inspiration

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm new to photography so all the usual take it easy with me stuff and all that......Any constructive critique and comments welcome! :D

Chruchbw.jpg

To much haloing around the church and I personaly would have placed the tower off centre.

I tried to suppress it but i'm not very good at using HDR toning. :(

Is there anything you can suggest to stop this from happening?

thanks for the comment. :)

Last edited:
What's all that halo shizzle?

Just means there's a glow around the subject. In this case, it's the white glo (halo) around the church tower.

HTH

After looking in to this it is down to the HDR toning i used in PS, the edge glow gives this effect. I'm aware of this now. :)

Any other thoughts on the pic on a whole?? :D

I like the image looks like a great location, I love churches, not a big fan of the processing,

I think it is leaning a little, when I level a church I look at the corner of the tower closest to camera as my point of reference and have found that to be the best option unless of course you have a liquid horizon visible i.e. The sea

I agree that off centre composition would have been better, I would also like to see the colour version

Matt
MWHCVT

I like the image looks like a great location, I love churches, not a big fan of the processing,

I think it is leaning a little, when I level a church I look at the corner of the tower closest to camera as my point of reference and have found that to be the best option unless of course you have a liquid horizon visible i.e. The sea

I agree that off centre composition would have been better, I would also like to see the colour version

Matt
MWHCVT

I see what you mean about the level and position of the church being new to photography i didnt think about this at the time of the shot. :(

This is the shot b4 i put it in PS for HDR toning.

5644512483_9b382a8040.jpg

Prefer the B&W version, looks cleaner and less cluttered and suits the subject well - well done in cleanly getting rid of the sign ... but you left its shadow!

I did prefer the B&W myself, but i did do a skool boy error not getting rid og the shadow oops!

Thanks i remember that in the future. :)

I certainly prefer it in B&W however now that the cloning out has been brought to my attention I just keep getting drawn to the window and the lump of floating stonework in it, that really needs some tidying up

There is so much detail on the photo and when you look at it again you see things you didnt notice before hence you only just noticed that the window had floating brick work. I will revisit the photo and make the improvements. Already i've learnt so much. :)

No it won't fix it because of the HDR toning it is meant to look like that, in fact it gives it an heavenly glow. :)

ah ok. It looks easy to do though. I'm sure you could manage it with a little practice. :)

Your right i could do that. I've not seen any of your work why dont you post some to give me an example of what you mean? :)

Picture before. Please notice the halo.

201503_2043606167010_1150023978_32557897_1469441_o.jpg

And after editing using the link provided. Notice no halo now.

204739_2043595206736_1150023978_32557890_2348538_o.jpg

Easy peasy :D

Nay, as they dare. I will bite my thumb at them; which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it.

Ahh i see excatly want you mean, thats a perfect example. thanks for passing on your wisdom.

i think for someone new to photography you have a great start,

you have done very well getting rid of and minimising the signage outside the church ( inconsiderate councils! lol) the halo has already been pointed out as has the leaning, always check your buildings for lean and CV's ( converging verticals) which CAN work in some images specially when shot with a very wide angle .but it doesnt here.

what bothers me most about this is the composition, and that is key to any good image no matter how good the processing.

the whole image leaves me feeling somehow cut off from the rest of the church, i dont mind so much that the steeple is central, BUT it would have been so much better if the whole church had been captured instead of a part of it,

It's very easy to get into the habit of over-processing an image when you are new to photography, I'm sure most of us have been there, done that! Try to develop your skills with your camera to nail the "look" you are after without much more than a White balance tweak! :)

i think for someone new to photography you have a great start,

you have done very well getting rid of and minimising the signage outside the church ( inconsiderate councils! lol) the halo has already been pointed out as has the leaning, always check your buildings for lean and CV's ( converging verticals) which CAN work in some images specially when shot with a very wide angle .but it doesnt here.

what bothers me most about this is the composition, and that is key to any good image no matter how good the processing.

the whole image leaves me feeling somehow cut off from the rest of the church, i dont mind so much that the steeple is central, BUT it would have been so much better if the whole church had been captured instead of a part of it,

Thanks for your feedback its good to get proper feedback like yours. :D

Due to the road being so narrow and its being a road which i cars are still going down at time. It was the best i could do with my limited skills and lens in my bag. :D

But i shall look in to this CV i dont even know what it means. :thinking: LOL

Thank you very much. :)

Back