DIY 6 foot Dolly and Timelapse

Nicely done but feel it could do with some more movement in a couple of the sequences.
I have tried timelapse before but every time I try I get terrible flicker - how did you get rid of any in yours? I use full manual settings each time and cannot work it out!
Would also like to see a pic of the dolly as all my attempts have been static so far and have been toying with the idea of a dolly but not till I sort out the flicker!

Many thanks,

Here is the setup and a shot of it in action

Whats an "unscrew lens method", not heard of that

Mostly I fire a test shot in AV then change to Manual, the controller moves the cart then fires the camera,
Photoshop used to adjusts the curves etc on one frame, then Automate the same changes to the rest of the images
Movie then compiled in Premier Pro and Royalty free music added

I also have a telescope motor mount to track the skies which I hope to mount on to the cart for some night work

--
Vass
www.doubleyolk.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi Mark

Flippin heck thats impressive to say you made it your self, where did you source the materials,

The Lens Twist Method, I read about on Dustin Farrells website and watched his video about it, it illuminates flicker as it disengages the lens a little Clciky Linky

Did you make the controller yourself as well?
I can see the rail and dolly being fairly easy to make with the right kit but the controller could be a bit more of a problem.
Thats quite impressive for homebrew:)

the controller is the Arduino board (about £ 10 off the n'internet)

then you combine this with the MX2 board available in a kit you solder yourself from Dynamic Perception.
DP offer the Software to control the cart and camera FOC too and keep offering updates to flash your Arduino board.
all good stuff.

Thanks - I'd already looked at that kit and bookmarked it for future reference:)
I take it you just got the kit and made your own box for it all? Looks fairly easy to build as not many components at all. What about power - I presume a smallish 12v sealed lead acid (3Ah) should do it ok and a stepper motor from Maplin or similar?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks - I'd already looked at that kit and bookmarked it for future reference:)
I take it you just got the kit and made your own box for it all? Looks fairly easy to build as not many components at all. What about power - I presume a smallish 12v sealed lead acid (3Ah) should do it ok and a stepper motor from Maplin or similar?
Sorry for all the questions.

Lucky for me the Ali extrusion (the 6 foot track) came from a local imported in Waterlooville so I was able to pick that up with a few other bis
The battery, yes 12v from Maplins,
The motor was a real pain, I searched for ages (held up the project for a good 6 months) in the end had to buy it from the States.

the controller was easy soldering, no problems to do at all.

If I was going to make another, I'd go for the threaded bar option rather than the belt though.

good luck with your project !
(y)

Looks really good.

I thought it'd be much harder to make the dolly, but you make it sound pretty simple, and fairly cheap. I might have a look myself at making one.

First go since I completed the build of my Dolly
(virtually a direct copy of the Stage Zero)

hope you like

http://vimeo.com/34468737

Lucky for me the Ali extrusion (the 6 foot track) came from a local imported in Waterlooville so I was able to pick that up with a few other bis
The battery, yes 12v from Maplins,
The motor was a real pain, I searched for ages (held up the project for a good 6 months) in the end had to buy it from the States.

the controller was easy soldering, no problems to do at all.

If I was going to make another, I'd go for the threaded bar option rather than the belt though.

good luck with your project !
(y)

Nice going. Can I ask for some more specifics on the alu extrusion? Name of supplier and cost would be good :)

What about overall cost excluding camera/tripod bits?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Can you make me one? :D

The Stage Zero is £700 in the UK, so £200 for virtually the same thing is somewhat appealing!

I bought the 6mm aluminium plate off the web, the supplier cut it to size for me.
Same witht the Angle.

An absolute must is you need a Pillar drill, without this, I'd never have done it.
Clamping stuff in a vice and drilling hand held would not be recommended.

Don't suppose you have any more pics of the rig that moves on the rail? Are there wheels on it etc? I don't mind having a go at drawing up a template if I see some pics..

Thanks

Adam

Got to admit I am tempted to have a go as well so any more info you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that, where did you get the motor? Also what about all the wee t-nuts, clips etc on the dynamic perception one, where did you get them?

OK here is the final list folks, you have to do some of the work yourselves (its what I did!)

Motor and MX2 controller (kit) from DP

All Aluminiuim from the UK (Google it)
The 6 foot rail from Waterlooville URL: http://www.westgroup.co.uk

Pullys, belt, bolts, washers, screw, etc all sourced fom the web or local fixings suppliers.

thats it folks,
Good luck!

OK here is the final list folks, you have to do some of the work yourselves (its what I did!)

Motor and MX2 controller (kit) from DP

All Aluminiuim from the UK (Google it)
The 6 foot rail from Waterlooville URL: http://www.westgroup.co.uk

Pullys, belt, bolts, washers, screw, etc all sourced fom the web or local fixings suppliers.

thats it folks,
Good luck!

Thanks for all the additional info.

Tell you what.. who wants to buy mine?

offers ?

Tell you what.. who wants to buy mine?

offers ?

I know nothing about electronics or programming boards...can the controller change the speed in which the camera is moved along the rail?

yes you have a display showing number of shots, time between shots, rate of travel along the track, etc...etc...

its all in the MX2 controller.

That's very impressive. If you're still selling in a few weeks time then i'd love to make an offer. But i imagine it'll be snapped up by then.

Interested - how much would you be looking for?
Like the idea of building my own but if the price is right.

I would be interested in a price too, any more shots of the dolly & controller? does the controller look the same as the one on the website or have you made your own box for it?

Last edited:
it'll all get the photography and detailed description in the listing

if its allowed, I'll post the link to eBay when its up

thanks folks.

bugger, Ill do it tonight, that'll give it 5 days to get to the usual Sunday night busy end time. :)

You should make a few as it can't be that hard to undercut Dynamic Perception!

no, I'm waiting till sunday as its payday for most this week

marketing eh :)

Back