DIY Camera Bag

Edit My Images
No
Wondered if anyone has adapted a bag (fishing for example) using a readily available camera equipment padded insert. Would be interested to see your efforts if you have.

Al

I've put a Lowe Alpine padded insert into a Belstaff 554 Shoulder bag. It works a treat and when I need the bag for non-camera activities (you know, make up, hairbrush etc :LOL:) then I just lift the insert out and Robert is your father's brother.

It's also a lot less obvious than the lowe alpine bag the insert came from and makes it less attractive to prying fingers (arguably).

no pictures sadly!

Thanks for that Tim - a great idea. In my case, though, I'm looking for a cheaper way out ;)

Al

I put a piece of kneeling mat in a Snowbee trout bag (Example link). I expect a padded insert could be fitted but I like it the way it is.

DSCF6612.jpg

DSCF6614.jpg

Food and drink can be substituted for flash gun and spare lens!

I bough a Crane Sports fishing bag from Aldi about 2,5 years ago. Made fixed dividers using thin Hardboard covering that with some leg padding from equestran shop. Since then it has carried my sons 50d with 28-105 attached a 70-300 lens and 430ex flash in the other compartments. It has a roomy hollowed zipped hard base for bits and pieces pocket on front and one on top. Has done him proud in all weather elements dont have pic of conversion but pic of bag http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261175772223?clk_rvr_id=461072778134 I used double sided heavy duty carpet tape to stick padding to hardboard. I have also done similar with a shoulderbag Hope this helps

It's my most used camera bag! It could be improved, but it's small, holds more than you might think, and doesn't scream camera bag. ;)

However, I have been considering a National Geographic bag in Wilkinsons.
Link.
It's looks better made than the Snowbee, bit looks a bit tarty for me!

Have found the Snowbee for £18 delivered so have ordered it! Well worth a punt at that price.

Thanks again Dave.

Al

I got one of these to stick in the backpack I take to work for me. My 7d or 5d2 with 24-70L and an additional lens or flash gun fit in it OK.

Have found the Snowbee for £18 delivered so have ordered it! Well worth a punt at that price.

Thanks again Dave.

Al

Can't grumble at that price. (y)

Thanks very much Stuart - once I get the bag and have the measurements I'll be ordering that or something similar.

Very grateful for all the very useful info on this thread - thanks again all.

Al

I've been looking for large padded inserts to fit inside a fairly large rucksack I've got but the only vaguely suitable products I've found all seem to be out of stock! Very annoying lol

There's plenty of smaller padded inserts around though :) some with 3 pockets or just individual padded pockets.

This was the idea looking one but the only place I found with 1 in stock was in NYC :(

http://www.domkebags.co.uk/163-297-thickbox/domke-propack-418-insert-system.jpg

I just bought one of these comes with padded insert and works a treat, I can even fit the Nikon 300mm F4.5 in one of the sections and there's room for an ipad too.. all for £23

I just bought one of these comes with padded insert and works a treat, I can even fit the Nikon 300mm F4.5 in one of the sections and there's room for an ipad too.. all for £23

Very nice and a great price. I prefer the understated look myself though ;)

Al

No problem, Im a little concerned about the height as my current bag is the same height and its very slightly to shallow.

Might be worth just buying a cheap backpack from Amazon or 7dayshop and cutting it up to fit out a larger bag.

Yeah I've seen a few that are cheap enough but also seem a little small. I found another cheapish alternative that's normally on ebay from Korea but this also seems to be out of stock as there isn't one on ebay currently :( only the smaller models lol

I'm in Canada for 3 weeks later this year so if I still haven't found anything by then I might order it from my parent's house there! Should be cheaper tax wise.

Thanks again Dave.

Al

Bag arrived this morning! Managed to find a foam camping mat (for putting under sleeping bag) and it's now well padded. I wanted this bag for the camera and 55-300 lens only and it fits perfectly. I could make it a double decker and keep things underneath, but there are plenty of pockets for SD cardss, battery, etc. So well pleased.

Cheers Dave! :)

Al

Good stuff, Al. Glad it's worked out well. :)

If you do go ahead and buy one it would be great if you could give a short review of it on the forum.

Al

I have had the larger of these for around a year. The inserts are of the "padded box with velcro dividers" design. In the main cavity, within the box and it's dividers, I fit, 55 -200 VR zoom, D3100 with fitted 18-55, 35mm prime, YN flash, (about the same size as a SB-800). The bag has small pockets at either end, a zip pocket inside and a single large side pocket. In one small pocket I have a Rocket Blower a lens pen and the usual half a dozen lens cloths, in the other small pocket lives a notepad and few pens. In the front pocket, (this is so hard to type - my nine month old son is trying to grab the laptop and attacking me), lives a couple of those cheap filter pouches, some wireless flash triggers, spare flash batteries.

The bag has no lining and is in no way weather proof. I have the box insert thing stuffed into a big John Lewis plastic bag, just in case I get caught in a downpour. It is fairly easy to carry in a gym bag way but the canvas strap does creak a bit.

I have had the larger of these for around a year. The inserts are of the "padded box with velcro dividers" design. In the main cavity, within the box and it's dividers, I fit, 55 -200 VR zoom, D3100 with fitted 18-55, 35mm prime, YN flash, (about the same size as a SB-800). The bag has small pockets at either end, a zip pocket inside and a single large side pocket. In one small pocket I have a Rocket Blower a lens pen and the usual half a dozen lens cloths, in the other small pocket lives a notepad and few pens. In the front pocket, (this is so hard to type - my nine month old son is trying to grab the laptop and attacking me), lives a couple of those cheap filter pouches, some wireless flash triggers, spare flash batteries.

The bag has no lining and is in no way weather proof. I have the box insert thing stuffed into a big John Lewis plastic bag, just in case I get caught in a downpour. It is fairly easy to carry in a gym bag way but the canvas strap does creak a bit.

Thanks (y)

I'm now just using an ICU insert from f-stop in a normal rucksack. Here

My gear feels just as well protected as it would in a dedicated camera bag, but I have the luxury of being able to use different bags and have lots of free room for other bits and bobs. I'm currently using it in an all day rucksack, which is just as well made, if not better made than most of the expensive camera bags and with the ICU it looks after my gear just as well. A heck of a lot more comfortable too, seriously - with the weight that some camera gear can amount to, why does every single camera bag manufacturer put on horribly thin or poorly padded straps. I've not found a single reasonably priced camera bag that even comes as close to how comfortable an average hiking / all day rucksack is.

Rucksack cost me £35 in a sale from a camping store, ICU cost me £60ish - for £95 I sorely doubt I'd find anything as well made, that's comfortable to carry all day and offers the same amount of protection for my gear.

Back