DIY Car Rig

Name
Arron
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know of a decent guide on how to make a Car Rig?
I saw one image on Flickr naming the general main elements but no assembly instructions or what clamps etc. to use.

The rig I saw used the Quad / Dual Car Dent Puller Suction Pads and a Aluminium Telescopic Pole adapted from a 3m water fed brush for cleaning windows etc. just the camera attachment and clamps etc baffles me.

That looks like a good post.

Just looked at tjis set-up and it seems to be pretty much what everyone else uses, although he links through to some shops (Karlu, teamworks) that I've not heard of before but look like they have extensive stock.

I know viewfinderphotography does a super clamp for £14 and WEX has its own-brand version for about £16. Viewfinder also does a magic arm for about £60 - going to have a butchers at Focus2012 (they usually have a stand) and see what they're like in the flesh.... I have an idea about ditching the use of a metal pole and using a carbon fishing pole instead, providing the bounce isn't too much.

I have an idea about ditching the use of a metal pole and using a carbon fishing pole instead, providing the bounce isn't too much.

I've looked at this but I don't think the pole is rigid enough. They are designed to bend/flex for their intended use. There was a chap I spoke with and met from Pistonheads who was researching carbon poles using from a UK manufacturer but that seems to have died as it was getting too difficult to manage the joints. It's something I'd still like to resolve. It's the holy grail, getting a pole that's light, strong, rigid and comes in easily transportable sections.

Suckers - I wouldn't use B&Q type ones on my car, the rubber on them is a little hard/abrasive. I know some who have done, but I find the Manfrotto ones softer and come with protective plates, so the on;y mark left is a slight ring that removes easily with a microfibre cloth.

Excuse the poor 3D model, had to rush it in between doing the day to day stuff.
That's what I was thinking of in basic principle.

Items:
2 x Dual 60kg Suction Lifter (RRP around £7.50 each)
1 x 2 or 3m Telescopic Aluminium Pole
All necessary Nuts / Bolts and Clamps
Then have the arm on the end for the Camera etc.

Might seem crude but could be very effective and low cost.

CarRig.jpg

Don't forget there's other ways of getting shots also. I've seen journo's hanging out the tailgates of cars, but I've also shot with my camera suckered onto the back of another car, then just driven behind it and triggered the camera via wireless remote.

You can then position yourself where you want the shot etc.
140908143.jpg

I've looked at this but I don't think the pole is rigid enough. They are designed to bend/flex for their intended use......

I'll have a play. I have loads of poles at home that I rarely fish with, so there's bound to be one in there that I could hack up for use on a rig. Regarding flex, I get what you mean but if the butt sections (the thicker sections) are used, then the flex really is minimal because this part of the pole is designed to be as rigid as possible. It's from the No4/5 section where the majority of the flex starts to cut in as the elastic does its work. Anyway.... :LOL:

Three butt sections should work - that'll be about 4.5metres - but the major concern is whether or not the super clamps could fit round the sections; most butt sections on 13/14.5-metre poles are between 45mm - 55mm. If the super clamps can open up this wide then I reckon this could actually work.

Of course, I have all these sections for free but you could probably pick up an old pole for under £100 - providing the butt sections are intact then you could be sorted. An alternative option would be to get parallel sections - these are additional sections that are designed to be stuck up the arse of a pole to take it longer. No one really uses them these days because they make poles unwieldy because of the physics of 20 or so metres of carbon waving around.

EDIT: Just had a play with the two butt sections of a 14.5-metre pole and there really is no flex. Whether or not the clamps will fit round and if they do, whether they'll crush the carbon is another mater... :LOL::)

Last edited:
Back