Beginner DIY florescent Ring Light or, the time you saved me from electrocution

Edit My Images
No

Well hello there! Forum Newbie (Larvae?) here with my first post.
I am looking to build a DIY Ring light. Having looked at a million different versions my favourite is the fluorescent tube version which I saw here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xmmZFb5r4 Typically, there is little guidance on how to actually make it. Has anyone in the UK tried this approach and managed to rig one up to operate via a 3 pin plug socket? The plan?

Crompton Circular 40W 16" Cool White 840 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ADYWN3LZJQX9

Is connected to the 40W Ring Tube Fluorescent Lamp Electronic Ballast AC 220V 0.19A http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008LTJY9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A50DZI580G3JX – Electronic to remove flickering issues. I think this connects to the four pins on the bulb with the two wires out going to a UK power lead. I can only see ballasts with two wires which is a “could fry me” concern. Is there a normal way to Earth the connection in this sort of case?

Is connected to the power cable. Current thoughts are 1) cut one from an existing lamp or.....Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Replac...id=1436086730&sr=1-1&keywords=lamp+cable+plug. I could either cut off the end and wire to the ballast or maybe there is a way to keep the connector and somehow link that to the ballast. The latter sounds safer to me if it’s possible.

I would mount this onto half of a wire fan casing, cut to allow me to shoot through but, make it detachable for versatility.

Grateful for anyone’s thoughts or experience with this type of project. I will post a walkthrough of the project as it materialises as a reference point for the future.

My warmest regards!

This had the potential to be very dangerous. If you are unsure about any aspect then you shouldn't be doing it!

Ideally to use a florescent tube with a digital imaging system you will need a high frequency ballast to stop 50hz beating making images dark/bright. However playing with mains electricity really isn't to be recommended. You also have earthing issues to consider as you intend to mount it onto a metal frame, how are you going to stop that becoming live in a fault scenario??

I would recommend going for a low voltage solution, either using a 24v tube or an LED solution.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. All my instincts told me I may have been working towards a Darwin award. I think I will opt for one of the neewer ones from amazon and see how that pans out. Just love the cool lighting look.

I may seek some sparky advice to look at some cheap strip lights in a similar vain in time.

Maybe the reason there is little follow through with the "how to do it" on the videos is they blew up on the following shoot!

Last edited:
Thanks for people's comments. I did a bit of digging last night and ended up going for the orbis modifier. It pains me to pay for a piece of plastic (although on sale at the minute) but I think it will suit me more. I was looking at the other options for continuous but I think I will get more control from my flash in the end. Would have loved a decent one to over power the sun but couldn't justify it for what is a dabble. It will be a useful addition though I am sure.

Amanda, I couldn't find enough evidence of how the neewer ones perform in the end. I had the concerns that Paul raised above that they would not be powerful enough to be flexible.

Back