DIY Modelling Lights

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas ( no pun intended) about this.
I have a set up comprising a couple of Light Stands ,Umbrellas and Godox Flashes but no modelling lights.
As a result I cannot see where shadows etc are falling until I have made the exposure which is a PITA.
I do not want to buy studio flash heads so I am casting around for some means of adding a modelling light to the system ,one thought is something like this
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/skurup-clamp-spotlight-black-10489962/ clamped into the light stand.
Any other ideas , suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chris

I'd save your money and put it towards getting a couple of proper flash heads.

Speedlights are OK for filling in here or there or for simple portraiture, but for anything else they are as you say 'a PITA'.

To my mind for an led lamp, you'd need one of 10 or 12 watts to replicate a typical modelling light , and I don't suppose that these are half of that. So unless you're working at very close light distances, I'd give them a miss.

I'd think about lamps of the above power that approximate the beam spread of the flash, and mount them in a similar position to the flash heads in relation to the brollies.

You could use led spots in lampholders and fashion simple brackets that adapt them to the stand spigots. You'd then set up the lighting before substituting the flashes. It gets more complicated if you're using the heads at different power settings ...

Last edited:
More test shots are necessary, unless you get some of the newer speedlites that have LED modeling lights built in. Some of these are quite impressive now, if your budget allows. The next option is studio strobes with modeling lights, some of which are now battery operated, if you need this.

Charley

Last edited:
Back