DIY Softbox flash mount....

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
For some time i've been concerned over how my flash is mounted in my softbox. Also being attached to a rf602 receiver, it's pretty top-heavy and unstable, as well as firing the flash pretty high up in the softbox which i'm sure make the light uneven.....

the other evening I was catching up with how the guys at lightenupandshoot.com were going on and came across a product they were selling and decided to produce my own take on it....

I have a knackered old cobra flash sat in the cupboard, but fortunately it has a removeable hotshoe mount. After butchering the internals and attacking it with a file, I had a nice, rigid mount...

IMGP1176.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

IMGP1177.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

I then trimmed a nice thick piece of persex to size and glued it to the mount with hot-melt adhesive

IMGP1178.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

attach a big piece of self-adhesive velcro and it's finished!

IMGP1179.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

I alread have velcro on the top of the flash as I also use a DIY bounce card with it! could maybe do with a strap of somesort but it seems safe enough for now. Feels a lot more stable and the light is directed more centrally into the softbox :) So it's gone from this...

IMGP1180.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

to this...

IMGP1181.jpg by dobinio, on Flickr

not exactly groundbreaking, but just thought it's nice to share :)

Back