DIY (TTL?) Cable Please!

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I want a cable which is about 5-7m long, not a curly wurly one..just a 7m straight cable.

I've seen the Strobist 101 on making a PC to PC cord using domestic bits and pieces; but it uses all american parts which I can't get hold of.

Does anyone know what I need to make such a cable the cheapest possible way from UK suppliers? Want to hook a 5dmk2 to a 580 mk2 (both with PC ports)...will such a cable retain TTL function?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Buy a normal ttl one then cut it and splice in a standard cat5 network cable. Use male/female connectors and you can lengthen and shorten at will.

Many have done this without any problems.

Kris has given the ideal solution to your problem.
To retain TTL you have to connect to the hotshoe on the camera.
I say this only because you mention using the pc connection, this is for manual off camera flash only.
A pc cord and ttl cord are different leads.

Last edited:
To emphasise on Kris's already spot on advice, go for a better quiality cat6 shielded cable and it'll last longer :).

I have a Curly wirly cable 3m my arse lol

I POSTED THIS ON ANOTHER FORUM...STILL NOT DONE IT THOUGH...

I have all the bits now and dont even know if Ill use it as I try to shoot manual all the time now...I may pu it al up for sale...will look out the gear at the weekend and decide...Ill at least try and find the links for you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to think outside the box...as the cost of a new cable and the hassle of selling the old one are just that...costly and hassle...!

As I cannot afford poppers/wizards...this fix should hopefully surfice at least for the time being...for both my macro and studio shots...it also will save getting access to or moving the flash to change the setting......I also hope to control my 550ex and have it master over my 420ex slave...

RESEARCH:
So...searched about the WWW a bit...and saw these threads...on other sites:
www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh ...5m-for-a-fiver
www.diyphotography.net/the-st ...ttl-flash-cord

PLAN:
I have looked around a bit more and found that you can get some Cat 6a gear for only a little more expense...so...decided to get a 5m cable and a 1m cable...highly coloured...both cat6a...so also screened...my jack is cat 6a as well so screened and more robust...

I have ordered all the gear from eBay (sellers name) at a total cost of my list...

MATERIALS:
2 of - CAT6A Toolless Keystone Jack RJ45 Full Shielded
1 of - 5 metre CAT 6 Network Cable. RJ45 Gigabit Patch Lead Purple
1 of - 1 metre CAT 6 Network Cable. RJ45 Gigabit Patch Lead Blue

£15ish...

RESULTS...WHEN COMPLETE:
The setup should give me an off camera TTL cord that can be adjusted to 1 metre or 5 metres...at least thats the plan...I may even add a 10metre cable if it turn out well...

When the bits arrive and the time is available...I'll post photos of my endeveaurs...and hopefully photos taken with it...

I did notice that there are apparently three black cables...but will pair the cables back to reveal which is which before cutting...should think so too...as Im an electrician/design engineer/have an electronics hnc...so if it all goes pear shaped...Ill hold my head in shame...!!!

INPUT:
So...if anyone else has done this...feel free to comment/add advice...etc...!

Hopefully this wee mod will go okay...its the cheap mans popper/wizard...

STEVIER

Just a quick question. Can I connect to the flash using it's PC port as long as I use the cameras hotshoe? I need to avoid the flashguns hotshoe!

Joe

Back