Do all cameras vignette to some degree ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Sony A6000 ( it's not my friend) which I have noticed in the past vignettes, I took it out today on some farm land took a few shots and noticed a vignette again is this something that is automatically going to happen at certain focal lengths ? I was using the standard 18-55mm lens. Exsuse the photo itself it was an experiment to see how the Sony compared to a previous Holga shot of the same subject ( it didn't work ) For some reason TP doesn't show the problem to the full extent as when I view it on my laptop.

TREE2.jpg

Last edited:
Something not quite right there. Not sure what has caused it though.

All lenses do vignette - it is a basic property of optics - but it should not be noticeable. Three common causes 1) cheap lens 2) DX lens used on an FX camera 3) wrong lens hood.

Your A6000 has an APS-C sensor so not the wrong lens and I doubt Sony are supplying a particularly cheap lens. The image looks to be produced at the wide end of the zoom range, is it as bad at the other end of the range? Did you use a lens hood?

It does happen quite often , Me and this camera have a bit of a love hate thing going on , it was brought new by myself but I have never really got on with it so have used it very little preferring my now dead compact. I thought i would try and get some use out of it as a knock about camera rather than it sit at the back of my cupboard I even brought a case for it !

I don't use a lens hood or any type of filter ! I have tried deliberately to get it to do this taking photos at both ends of the Lenses focal length and in lower light conditions and just cannot get it to do it, next time I take it out it's there again on a random photo ! It's not that I really mind the vignette I just wondered what was causing it.

Here is the Holga shot I was comparing it to , I had to take it from the other side because of the time of day but just wondered how the camera would do.

tree.jpg

Last edited:
That certainly looks like the sort of vignetting you get when stacking filters though which is very strange in your particular circumstances.

My boy sometimes shoots at 12mm on his A6000 & I've never seen anything like that on his photos.

Is that shot unedited?

Recently, some mirrorless camera/lens manufacturers have relaxed their design standards for distortion and vignetting knowing that they apply corrections when processing for in-camera jpegs - especially for their inexpensive kit lenses. If you shoot raw you can often see what appears to be unacceptable levels of barrel distortion and vignetting, especially at the wide end, and you need to rectify this with your raw processing software. Your second image appears to be typical, but your first seems a bit more than I'd expect - especially as it's very localised in the corners. As others have said looks like a filter/lens hood issue.

The second image has horrendous chromatic aberration. Could be a lens fault?

This was posted in another forum relating to A6000 vignette -

'Your photos have a strong vignetting in their corners. If you turn off autocorrection of the lens defects in the Assistant, it is really pronounced(especially in the upper/light corners, in the lower/dark corners it will disappear). '

There's an odd artifact close to the top edge, just right of centre - something is badly not right here.

Recently, some mirrorless camera/lens manufacturers have relaxed their design standards for distortion and vignetting knowing that they apply corrections when processing for in-camera jpegs - especially for their inexpensive kit lenses. If you shoot raw you can often see what appears to be unacceptable levels of barrel distortion and vignetting, especially at the wide end, and you need to rectify this with your raw processing software. Your second image appears to be typical, but your first seems a bit more than I'd expect - especially as it's very localised in the corners. As others have said looks like a filter/lens hood issue.

Funnily enough since having problems with poor dynamic range with .jpegs I have swapped to shooting raw only and under exposing a small amount ( trying to stop blow out ) I will try raw and .jpegs and see if the problem exists on both images. It is the kit lens that I use with the Sony and the second shot is from a Holga 120n so is expected to be a little rough.

This was posted in another forum relating to A6000 vignette -

'Your photos have a strong vignetting in their corners. If you turn off autocorrection of the lens defects in the Assistant, it is really pronounced(especially in the upper/light corners, in the lower/dark corners it will disappear). '

I will have a look through the menu and see if I have inadvertently turned it off !

I've never had this menu problem with the Holga ;););)

The second image has horrendous chromatic aberration. Could be a lens fault?

It's a design fault - that's shot with a Holga rather than a conventional camera - I've just realised that too. Holga images are a 'acquired taste' and deliberately sodded up.

It's not a horrendous fault - it's a horrendous (to some...) design feature.

That is very severe vignetting! The lens appears to have a problem so can I ask if the one used was a dedicated one for digital or originally for film? Is the camera full frame or DX? I am not a Minolta user so I have no knowledge. I know with my Nikon 28/105AFD I never get any (noticeable} vignetting when I use it on either of my Nikon film cameras even at full aperture, but with my D700 it vignettes at all apertures, getting less as I stop down. I believe it is to do with the angle the light hits the film or a sensor which can be different.

PS I always use the D700 in the RAW setting never Jpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my mind that degree of vignetting is unacceptable, with or with out auto correct.
No modern lens should be that bad in the first place.
The Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 has virtually no visible vignetting, with out any correction.
In fact I often shade in the corners slightly to draw the image inward, this is better done with a clean image as a starting place.

It's hard to understand what's going on in that first picture as it just shows so many problems. I wouldn't expect that to be in any way normal but as to what are the causes... I think I'd have to be there and use the camera. It's hard to believe that's in any way "right" though.

Last edited:
In my mind that degree of vignetting is unacceptable, with or with out auto correct.
No modern lens should be that bad in the first place.
The Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 has virtually no visible vignetting, with out any correction.
In fact I often shade in the corners slightly to draw the image inward, this is better done with a clean image as a starting place.

Can you be certain the Fuji isn't doing something without letting you know? I think the days of getting images which aren't corrected in some way probably ended quite some time ago.

I had that same combination for a while and never noticed anything like that in raw. Something fishy going on!

I had that same combination for a while and never noticed anything like that in raw. Something fishy going on!

I have a sister who used to use the wrong lens hood on a lens because she liked the heavy vignetting it gave. That shot in the op reminded me of that.

I've never seen anything like that apart from when something such as a lens hood or a filter is obstructing the lens or possibly when deliberately trying to do this in post capture processing.

Can you be certain the Fuji isn't doing something without letting you know? I think the days of getting images which aren't corrected in some way probably ended quite some time ago.
They do indeed correct for vignette in jpegs and in lightroom and some other raw processors, however on the 18-55 even with out correcting the raw file, the amount of vignetting is acceptable.

If modern lenses did not do some of the correcting of residual aberrations in firmware, they would have to make other compromises, in both quality and cost.

The compromises that they do make, results in fantastic image quality.

They do indeed correct for vignette in jpegs and in lightroom and some other raw processors, however on the 18-55 even with out correcting the raw file, the amount of vignetting is acceptable.

If modern lenses did not do some of the correcting of residual aberrations in firmware, they would have to make other compromises, in both quality and cost.

The compromises that they do make, results in fantastic image quality.
That wasn't my point. My point was that it's highly likely that we don't get files that are "uncorrected" no matter what the badge on the front, not with modern cameras and their lenses. Fuji arguably being one of the worst offenders in this regard.

Apologies if I've misread this. I don't know Sony at all, but I know if I use the Toy/Holga mode on either Fuji or Panny, both apply a pretty hard vignette as part of the filter, regardless of lens.

That wasn't my point. My point was that it's highly likely that we don't get files that are "uncorrected" no matter what the badge on the front, not with modern cameras and their lenses. Fuji arguably being one of the worst offenders in this regard.

I do not see it as an offence at all. It does best those things that are done optically, and does best those things that are done with firmware. That sounds to be the optimal position.
I would suggest that Fuji gets this right, as they achieve some of the best quality images.

Last edited:
I once put a DX lens on a 35mm film camera and that thing vignetted like a mofo, I used it to great effect just to see what would happen

I do not see it as an offence at all. It does best those things that are done optically, and does best those things that are done with firmware. That sounds to be the optimal position.
I would suggest that Fuji gets this right, as they achieve some of the best quality images.

It depends how you measure best. If I have a complaint to level at Fuji it wouldn't be that they correct lens issues, use interpretations of ISO, colour balance and filter arrays that others don't. All that's fair game. My issue would be the obfuscation and extreme marketing speak that at times has looked like straying into falsehood. IMO. Fuji aren't alone in this of course and other manufacturers have sailed close to the divide between marketing banter between manufacturers and deliberate misrepresentation or falsehood.

On the specific lens correction issue sometimes I apply corrections in adobe CS5 and often I don't as the uncorrected image may be more characterful or even more pleasing. What I would like to see is manufacturers including the ability to turn lens and other corrections (heavy noise reduction for example) "off" or as close to that as practically possible rather than sneaking things in which can't be turned truly off or anything like off.

In fact no camera does vignette.
But all lenses do up to a certain point.

That picture above though, it looks as if it's been processed to show vignetting in the worst way possible.

There are a few Axxxx cameras in my family and I've never seen anything like that picture.

Brad.
You seem to have had a string of issues and all I can hope is that you can find some fix or some hardware you're happy with.

He's happy with his Lomo.

It depends how you measure best. If I have a complaint to level at Fuji it wouldn't be that they correct lens issues, use interpretations of ISO, colour balance and filter arrays that others don't. All that's fair game. My issue would be the obfuscation and extreme marketing speak that at times has looked like straying into falsehood. IMO. Fuji aren't alone in this of course and other manufacturers have sailed close to the divide between marketing banter between manufacturers and deliberate misrepresentation or falsehood.

On the specific lens correction issue sometimes I apply corrections in adobe CS5 and often I don't as the uncorrected image may be more characterful or even more pleasing. What I would like to see is manufacturers including the ability to turn lens and other corrections (heavy noise reduction for example) "off" or as close to that as practically possible rather than sneaking things in which can't be turned truly off or anything like off.

I have seen very little of Fujis marketing material... nor anyone else's come to that. I prefer to look at the detailed specifications, and always read the handbooks (on line) of any prospective purchases. I also read the test reports from authors that I trust. And as I am never a first user I have the opportunity of reading real life users comments and any problems that have come to light. Fuji is famous for its colour interpretations, and they are extremely well liked. however if you process from raw you have the option of using Photoshop standard colour, if that is what you prefer. If you do not like the filter array do not buy Fuji. but for me that is one of it strong points.

The colour we see on either X Trans or Bayer filter arrays, are not what is directly captured, as algorithms must be used to re assign the 6X6 pixel arrays into arrays that have a unique calculated hue and brightness at each pixel site. (demosaicing) This also involves the interpretation of all detail contained within that 6x6 matrix. While not all vertical or horizontal lines in a Bayer filter array contain a blue and red pixels, they do do so in an X trans sensor. this and the slightly more random nature of an X Trans sensor array reduces the need for a low pass filter.

However the demosaicing of of an X trans array is more resource intensive, so rewires a more powerful processor.

The residual aberrations corrected within in firmware such as fringing and vignetting. are largely changes to the numerical values of these particular pixels and have no visible affect on subject detail. and can be very accurately determined.
The geometric residual aberrations concerning flatness of field and Barrell and Pincushion distortion do affect the drawing of the image. but again have precise values that restore the incorrect drawing of the lens to a close relationship to reality.

As none of the pixels that are moved in this process are in any sense themselves real, ( they were approximated in the demosaicing process) There is no discernible loss of quality.

Nothing in a digital image is other than an approximation. detail finer than a 6x6 matrix has all been recalculated approximated and redrawn. Pixel peeping is in reality absurd, as it is looking at the unreal.

An interesting little program PTLens can correct otherwise uncorrected lens almost perfectly compared to photoshop and the like, it is based on the original math of Helmut Dersch
You can find it and see it in action here https://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/example.html.

You can even supply samples of your own unlisted lens to him and he will do the calculations and add it to the list. I did one many years ago for the early Minolta G600

I must admit I do like my Lomo ( Lomo from Leningrad/St. Petersburg ) cameras rather than Lomography. But I have always been impressed with the photos from these very basic cameras despite their limitations and other basic digital cameras I have had. I think I probably expect too much from the Sony as it's supposed to be so advanced in comparison.
I must say the Sony produces some really great images but really hates mid to high contrast. As my £9 eBay point and press gave up recently I have took to using the Sony as a replacement

Does all this lens correction in camera mean that the lenses are able to be poorly/cheaply made ? In comparison does this also mean that a good Film lens is far superior in mechanical quality ?

Does all this lens correction in camera mean that the lenses are able to be poorly/cheaply made ? In comparison does this also mean that a good Film lens is far superior in mechanical quality ?
It means they can be made smaller, lighter while offering a good zoom range. Film lenses will likely be much heavier, bulkier, with narrower zoom range and often reduced optical quality, however they may contain more robust mechanisms. I'm taking of consumer grade lenses, rather than professional kit.

Nah! All cameras and lenses are absolutely fine. It's only the photographer that makes a difference.

49324249727_f39112d3c6_c.jpg

;)

I'd say it was a Holga My Cosmics/ Smenas don't have the Lens distortion that one does !

Back