Do any of the manufacturers have a model that JUST takes photos...?

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
What I means is, one without all the gimmicky stuff. None of this 'picture styles' or 'print directly from the camera'.

So it'd basically just have say 3 modes (AV, TV, M), adjusters for Exp Comp, Shuterspeed, Aperture and maybe white balance. Press the button and it spits out a RAW file. Then it's upto you to process, resize, do what you want with.

Do the so called Pro bodies (1D etc) have all these 'extra' features? And do people use them?

The 1Ds ( and therefor the 1D ) should be right up your street. You've Av, Tv, P, M ,and bulb. That's it. No little icons of mountains or running men. You can select the file format you want RAW or JPEG or a combination of both. Picture styles are available if you want but I generally don't bother

1d series. no gimmicks just pictures. how good they are is up to you of course...!

Oh, I'm not looking to change. Was just wondering if such a thing existed as reading through my manual briefly this afternoon I realised just how many so called 'features' I don't use and dont think I'd ever use.

1D series has less gimmicks but also masses more custom functions.

From the 1dmk2N onwards they also have picture styles but they can be ignored easily :)

You know all the gimmicky stuff you're talking about? You don't have to use them. I don't and haven't got into trouble for it either.

Any picture styles you choose won't be applied if you shoot in RAW anyway.

Well if you only want a camera that take photos, no stupid sceen modes or such like and you like to think about the shot then the camera for you is the Sigma SD14 or if you need a compact the of course the Sigma DP1

Nikon D200 D300 and up dont have these scene modes either, but is yours has these modes, a little judicious use of a black felt tip pen ( permanent is best) or a little black paint will do the trick

Allan

My D50 only had Aperture, Shutter and Manual modes. Come to think of it, there were some funny icons on the dial I never bothered to find out about, but hey-ho:)

No one is going to make something as basic as the stuff you are asking for.

As others have said the pro-end of the market tend to dump the video modes, mp3 player and sat nav, but they still have plenty of other things instead to fine tune how the camera will perform... but they aren't mickey mouse things, these are the fine tuning settings the low-mid range stuff doesn't have....

Tha Leica M8 meets the OP's criteria, not sure it'll meet their budget though.

:LOL: As I read down the thread I was about to say I bet the Leica's are pretty bell and whistle free, then arrived at your post! ;)

Certainly higher end cameras have less 'auto' modes and the buttons and dials will be very relevent to manual shooting, but within the menus you will find stuff you might never want. For instance the D200 does multiple exposures, or image merging or some such - needless to say I never used it, I just know you can stick two or pics into the same frame in camera :shrug: Mind you, my D70s has lots of pretty pictures on the dial, moons, peoples heads, someone running....no idea what the hell they do though. ;)

bear in mind that all of these features are implemented in software. There would be no change in the hardware whether the cameras had them or not - in other words, the features don't provide a compromise.

Back