Do Clipped Wings Work?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I have to say that I'm enjoying my 150-500, and having a lake at the bottom of the garden is great for popping out and practicing getting to grips with it.

I managed to spend a good 20 minutes watching what I think is a Juvenile Grey Heron doing a spot of fishing.
I've a few more shots of him, but before I post them, could I canvas opinion on this one.......

...... does the shot still work even though I've not managed to get all of the wings in?

Juvenile Grey Heron 005
by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

I like the shot, but is cropping wings a no no for bird togging?
Sadly I was zoomed in too much when he suddenly took flight stretching his wings out of the frame!

Thanks for looking and the comments.

Neil

Nice and sharp. Clipped wings don't detract too much
It's a western reef heron grey morph.

I sometimes crop in to a bird and clip the wings if I want to show the bird in closeup or make the image more dramatic. In this image I think it would be better with the wings fully in the pic however it isn't a bad image as it is.
Thanks Mark.
I tend to agree that the compete wing would be better, but I'm happy with the image.
I've only been photographing birds for a few weeks now so still getting used to it and not sure what the rules are for composition and cropping, other than if I like the image.

I also intensionally crop wings off at times, for example concentrating on the more important impact areas, say if the image is of an osprey, getting that yellow eye correct, the fish, the water splash..sometimes it works, sometimes it dosnt, some judges will like it, and some wont,
For the heron there is less than 5% of the bird missing, what would that extra 5% bring? Probably nothing, would I keep it? No, I have plenty of heron in flight shots with all the wings in tact..but if it was the only one I had, Yes I would be keeping it. I can see why the author likes it.

I actually think that is a cracking picture, no problems with the missing wing tips.
My only critisim if any would be the positoning of the bird, but that said and having the same lens myself,
you did really well to get it in frame at all, moving birds aren't the easiest to track at full stretch are they ;)

Back