Do either of these improve life for the spectacle wearing photographer?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
As a newbie to the world of DSLR photography and owner of a 450D, I have a question regarding being a glasses wearer

- does either the Canon Camera Eyepiece Extender or the Canon Dioptric Adjustment Lens make life any easier when wearing glasses? If so, would using either of these compromise any other aspect of using the viewfinder in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help

As a newbie to the world of DSLR photography and owner of a 450D, I have a question regarding being a glasses wearer

- does either the Canon Camera Eyepiece Extender or the Canon Dioptric Adjustment Lens make life any easier when wearing glasses? If so, would using either of these compromise any other aspect of using the viewfinder in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help

Are you having problems as it is?

I'm a glasses wearer and have never had a problem using a viewfinder. You might be spending money on something you don't need.

Try before buying.:)

if your glasses are getting inthe way, there is a way to alter the viewfinder magnification to suit your eyes(dont know how much adjustment there is). but i would probably avoid doing it if your other half uses the camera as well

(i dont know whether the 450d has the option to do this though)

never really had a problem myself though either

nigpd

I wear glasses and have both the Eye Piece Extender and the Dioptric Adjustment Lens.

The Eye Piece Extender EP-EX 15.
The eyepiece extender extends the camera's viewfinder by 15mm; thus bridging the gap between your eye and the viewfinder. This allows operation of the viewfinder without the needing to press closely to the back of the camera, and is thus more comfortable to use. The viewfinder extender also reduces the image size (85% of normal). I found the size reduction to be unacceptable given the already small view finder. A number of people have removed the lens from the extender and used it as a simple 'tube'. I have tried this also and found the view finder slightly more comfortable to use than without it but the corners could be difficult to see properly without moving my eye position relative to the view finder. I don't use it at all now.

Dioptric Lens.
To use the dioptric lens you fit the lens and then adjust the dioptre setting to suit your eye without glasses. You need to remove your glasses to take a shot and it makes sharing the camera difficult. I found it frustrating to have to remove my glasses to use the view finder and don't use this now.

In my experience the downside of each of these solutions outweighs the benefits. The ideal would be an EP-EX 15 type solution which increased the dimensions of the view finder image by about 15%.

The only other solution I could come up with was laser surgery but that seemed a bit drastic for the purpose of looking through a view finder :)

John

Keep taking off my glasses to take a picture all the time would drive me nuts. I wear my glasses all the time, never had any problems (apart from my ability.... lol.) using the camera.

thanks for your prompt responses.

I've only had the camera for a couple of months and it's not too uncomfortable looking through the viewfinder with glasses on so I think over time I will get used to it.

thanks again for saving me the cost of buying either or both of those bits

Back