Do highstreets apply exposure correction?

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I got my first film developed (a few pics here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=297801 ) and I'm left wondering about something (please excuse my terminology which is probably wrong).

I am pretty sure that I didn't get all the exposures right (sometimes it was beyond the capabilities the ISO200) yet it looks as though some of the exposures have been forced to give a 'better' level, but just as with digital this has resulted in more noise.

So, my question is, do the highstreet stores (Boots in this case) apply some sort of image dependent exposure control to try and level out user 'error'? If so, can you tell them not to?

That explains it :)

What if you've intentionally under/overexposed

then you can scan your negs, or choose a frame and send it to a pro lab with instructions as to how you want it printed

So the negs are processed to a standard and the prints are adjusted?

This'll sound daft to you lot but the parallel to digital photography is unreal!

That said, I don't think I've ever got as excited about plugging in a memory card as I did today when I was handed a package of prints :D

Yes - all the neg's are on a single strip, and get dunked in the same chemical for the same length of time, and therefore get the same process. In most modern minilab setups, the film is then scanned, exposure corrected and chucked out of the same machine as the images shot on dijikal. Think of it as an extension of how the film camera treats ISO - you set it per film, rather than per shutter depresssion

This'll sound daft to you lot but the parallel to digital photography is unreal!

Not daft at all - it's definitely a different vibe

That said, I don't think I've ever got as excited about plugging in a memory card as I did today when I was handed a package of prints :D

Just wait 'till you pull your first roll of E6 slides out of the developing tank in your kitchen sink :woot::woot::woot:

The hybrid process (scanning film negatives for digital post-processing) is bringing a lot back to film.. myself included. It's the excitment of film (waiting to see the results after developing) combined with the best bits of digital workflow (ease of processing).

You're hooked now..

That explains it :)

What if you've intentionally under/overexposed

You can't if you are processing in the high street, because they will not offer push or pull processing, a lab however will.
You can push film by shooting it at a higher iso than it is rated at, eg, shoot Delta 100 at 400 and either do it yourself or instruct your lab to push process the film by 2 stops.
Push processing under exposed film will provide an infinity superior result after scanning than duff negs rescued by software.

Back in the old days, I often used to get my local Boots to push Fuji 400 by a couple of stops, so that I could shoot indoor sports and the like. They were really helpful, and it got to the point where they would ask me what I would like doing with it, rather than just going through the motions.

That depends on the individual shop unfortunately, some branches will have really knowledgeable staff who will be able to do things like push processing whilst most will just know how to run it through and charge you.

From what I can gather my local Boots has one guy who knows what he is doing and I've no doubt that if I asked he'd do it, my first roll wasn't done by him. That would require me knowing what I'm doing though :D

Whilst we're on the topic, does £8.50 sound about right for 36exp, 6x4 prints and a CD with scans on? Is there anywhere online that makes it worthwhile saving the rolls up and sending them off in bulk? I was kind of thinking of just getting the negs and a CD but this isn't cost effective at Boots (only about 20p cheaper than getting the prints too).

edit: or what about buying a neg scanner - they seem to start at around £50 but are the cheap ones any good?

Last edited:
From what I can gather my local Boots has one guy who knows what he is doing and I've no doubt that if I asked he'd do it, my first roll wasn't done by him. That would require me knowing what I'm doing though :D

Whilst we're on the topic, does £8.50 sound about right for 36exp, 6x4 prints and a CD with scans on? Is there anywhere online that makes it worthwhile saving the rolls up and sending them off in bulk? I was kind of thinking of just getting the negs and a CD but this isn't cost effective at Boots (only about 20p cheaper than getting the prints too).

If you can find a good Tesco or Asda superstore with staff who know what they are doing, they will develope and scan to CD for £2.98, Asda will do it in 1 hour while you shop (Tesco now send them away) but I think the machines are not used much so the shots on the CD show spots which have to be touched up with something like Photoshop.
Anyway I don't mind the above as most of my shots are not winners so why pay to have them printed, so what I do with anything decent and need prints is to download to Aldi photo service (as recommended here), and am pleased to say what I saw on my screen is what I got in prints.

Back