Do i fold to photoshops presence everywhere?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11790
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11790

I currently use corel paint shop pro X2 for my limited and inexperienced photo editing via my laptop

but....

everywhere i look all there seems to be is adobe world dominance. every magazine, tutorial guide etc all is based on this format. so do i fold and follow others in getting adobe (in one form or another) or stick with my current programe. I want to learn more about photo editing etc but think that corel and abobe do similiar things

thoughts please ............

You've shown you have more sense than money by using a K-mount camera. (y)

As a fellow user, and user of PSP (though currently stalled at v9) I encourage your free thinking and hope you will maintain resistance.

:tumbleweed:

TBH, I don't see any valid reason for going over to Adobe for photography processing.

I've been using Paint shop pro for years now, and I have not come across any real drawbacks with regards to processing my shots (and yes I have tried Adobe Photoshop). I think Adobe Photo Shop is an all rounder bit of software. Not only for post processing images, but also for creating images, art and what not. You can do those extras in Paint Shop Pro as well but maybe don't have quit so much to play with.

With regards to tutorials ... I've tried quite a few PS ones in Paint Shop Pro, and they work just the same. It's just that certain steps might be slightly different, or use tools with different names. But if you play around along the lines of the tutorial you can usually pull it off. Plug-ins are a different matter. But I think you can buy some for Paint Shop Pro .. or even create your own actions.

All IMO of course ;).

WH Smith sell a PSP magazine all to do with editing using the software. I believe it's monthly.

Download the trial and run through some of the tutorials using some of you photos - if you like the edited images and produce something you could not of produced using your current software (due to lack of functionality or knowledge) then perhaps a change is necessary - why limit yourself by sticking to you current app ?

I use both....just to be awkward:D

I was an avid fan of paintshop pro and I resisted the temptation Adobe photoshop with a vengeance.

Now I must admit that Photoshop has the edge for me in terms of RAW conversion and plug ins etc.

For some reason I could see the end of me using Painshop when Jasc were bought out by Corel....Big multi national buys out small company all innovation goes out the window.

Actually I think photoshop is becoming just a generic word for photo editing software like Hover is for vacuum cleaners, so I'd stick with what you have.

Photoshop is good, but it's also about 10 times the price of Paint shop (for the full version) if your working ok with PSP I'd recomend you stick with it, I doubt you'll find any real advantage of changing, and you'll have to start learning from scratch again. Wayne

Don't fold - stick with what you have, Paint Shop Pro is a very capable package.

everywhere i look all there seems to be is adobe world dominance. every magazine, tutorial guide etc all is based on this format. so do i fold and follow others in getting adobe (in one form or another) or stick with my current programe. I want to learn more about photo editing etc but think that corel and abobe do similiar things
Photoshop is Photoshop; nothing else comes close to what it can do and the sheer versatility it offers. And it's as simple as saying that if you needed it, you would be using it already.

PSP is more in competition with Photoshop Elements, which has really started to become a viable alternative to the 'proper' version in recent years. But you'll still find that PSP has the slight edge in a few situations, where as PSE has the edge in some others. Some people like Photoshop and some people prefer the way that PSP works. Only you can make that decision.

As long as your photography is heading in the direction you want it to, there's no reason to change. But if you did, you'd probably want to go down the Elements route before you even considered the full version of Photoshop.

thanks for the encouraging comments. Am now planming to stay with corel, and ignore the adobe world takeover plan.

I am more than happy with the programme and may even try and sneakily try and convert people to corel

viv la revolution

If you learn how to use photoshop then nothing will get close to it

No need to bother with cash: how about two of mine for one of yours? I'll throw in a copy of Paint Shop Pro 3.12 (16 or 32 bit, your choice).

Photoshop 2.5 too, but that took five floppies instead of one and a bit.

I think we've got a deal here........... Get your bag packed sis.....

:bat:Watch it Bro!

Sorry I forgot to get back to you photon, I had a better offer. ;)

Apologies for these two boys hijacking your thread schrismonkey.

STICK WITH COREL !! :love:

I have used Corel software since v3 for the CorelDraw suite and v10 for PSP - I now have CorelDraw suite x3 and just got PSP x2 and they are fantastic. I use them for both professional and personal work.

I have used Adobe image software and personally don't find the difference that much that it warrants the price or the learning curve. I was at a trade show years ago when Adobe were banging on about ps5.5 or 6 (can't remember with version exactly) and how great it was that it now handles text within the working area, and other stuff... that Corel Photopaint had been doing for ages, and a lot better.

About 3 years ago, I was at a print and software show, again Adobe were banging on about stuff that Corel could already do, and then one of their sales chaps drops the bomb to me and my printer chum... "Adobe don't like the fact that non-professional or home-users use our 'flagship' product Photoshop, that's why we keep it dificult to use." :bonk::bonk:

I recently tried again to get into PS, because as you say, industry pressure and all that, and quite frankly, it's a pain, particularly when you consider that Corel products do a fantastic job, for less money, with IMHO the same (and sometimes better) results, and they can use all the plugins too...

Stick to your guns - I have and I've never looked back. ££££ & $$$$'s of marketing and advertising doesn't make it the best product, it just makes it a well marketed product.

I have PSP v8.1 but since moving from film to digital I decided to try out PSP x2 Ultimate and am finding that it will probably be more than adequate for my purposes. I honestly don't think I could warrent the financial outlay for Photoshop, but there may be a free alternative in GimPhoto which is supposed to be a Photosop clone.

I tried the trial of Photoshop cs4 and wasn't really struck by it, and I also read about some intrusive snooping when its loaded up, licence checking, useage etc.

Stick with what you know and perhaps buy or subscribe to the magazine mentioned previously (see http://officialpspp.com/index.php).

Just my personal tuppence worth. Hope you get as much out of these forums as I do and enjoy your photography.

The only potential problem I see with Paint Shop Pro is that it's been taken over from Jasc by Corel who in the past have bought out competing packages and junked them or tried to turn them into their own versions of what they think they should be. So far though, they seem to be realising that it's a winning formula and are leaving it alone, apart from just adding to it. Later versions are getting a bit icon and graphically intensive for my tastes, which is why I tend to stick with my earlier version. I also prefer the way the thumbnail browser opens in a new window with older versions, rather than opening in the same window.

For me as a designer and photographer - I like the interactivity between elements of the whole CS4 suite - lightroom / photoshop / dreamweaver / fireworks / flash / bridge etc.. its a proper joined up package. Once you have to process 600 images from a wedding, knock them into a web slideshow, and faff about with some flash all on the same day, you will begin to appreciate the comon interface, the way you can bonce things between programs etc. etc..

Im not saying I dont use any non-adobe products - It's just the adobe products seem to streamline my day

For weddings - I would say esspecially Lightroom. Im using PS less and less since lightroom came allong

I started with psp 11 and liked it, but it didn't support raw from my 40D when I upgraded, so I switched to photoshop, at first I was resistant (despite my other half being fluent in adobe speak) but I've persivered and now can't imagine using anything other than bridge and photoshop. (Though I would still like to be able to personalise toolbars the way I want them, Mr Adobe!!)

I use both but I have used Paintshop for the longest and still have a soft spot for it.

One think I wish it had is the tab on the image window with the image size (as an option) like you do in Photoshop. Find that very useful, but if I remember right PainShop had a browse function (which still works a lot faster and easier than photoshop) long before photoshop did

Back