Do I have it yet??

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so you guys are sick of looking at my son but he is the most readily available subject. I'm really trying to do better with the post processing and I've tried a few different ways. Please comment freely!
1. A straight forward shot
KSF-30-09-06-3-resize.jpg

2. Is the shoe too distracting?
KSF-30-09-06-1-resize.jpg

3. Tried something different on PP (please ignore dirty fingernails!)
KSF-30-09-06-2-resize.jpg

4. Shutter speed ok??
KSF-30-09-06-4-resize.jpg

5. Eye contact a bit off I think
KSF-30-09-06-5-resize.jpg

6. difficult lighting what do you guys think?
KSF-30-09-06-6-resize.jpg

You can never get enough shots of your kids - I'd follow mine around all day with my camera if I could! These are lovely shots, you've captured some great expressions and a real sense of personality. A few comments if I may, constructive not critical!

1 -I think the background is a little distracting, could do with more blur ie shallower dof or failing that some photoshop blurring

2 - I would definately crop out the shoe

3 - lovely!

4 - the sky's way over blown - I'd replace it in PS

5 - Best of the lot, I actually like the fact he's really concentrating on the dog and the dog seems to be in his / her own world

They all look pretty good really. I'm no portrait expert but with my critical hat on and a couple of beers inside me my thoughts are..

1 looks technically the best but the background is too busy even if it is out of focus. His eyes are in focus and sharp which is good but its too bright for him to open them properly.

2 yes a bit to your question but main thing is the eyes are not sharp and same background as above.

3 Not bad but same general thoughts and looking at the hair focus is back a bit.

4 good idea :) grass is looking greener?

5 Good. Top of his head is missing and that grass is really doing well now ;)

6 Could be very good but the focus is again a touch off?

Great comments so far guys. This is exactly what I need. A few notes.

Replacing skies or bluring anything in PS is well beyond me. I do all colour stuff in Lightroom and I'll clone out a blemish but that is the extent of my post processing abilities!

I am a great gardner I can make my grass greener in a matter of seconds!

I am a great gardner I can make my grass greener in a matter of seconds!

lol :LOL: Tell u what, you do my gardening coz I hate it and I'll do your PS work! ;)

I'm not keen on the processing in Nos 3 and 5, but the rest are looking good. I'd have preferred both oof shoes in shot in No2. :)

#1 I'd crop close to the subject or have your son off centre/center ;)
#2 I'd have both shoes in if poss
#3 this is my favourite, just wish the light was in his eyes a bit more
#4 lovely action shot
#5 I'd crop to a square format
#6 love it but it lacks a bit of contrast

I would say that your getting there Renee...he looks a darling little chap too!

I would recommend Photoshop Elements if not Photoshop if you are going to take photos of children. I had a very quick go at these as I saw edit was OK.

Rough and ready about 10 mins the lot so some rough selections.
257533904_f1722ec514_o.jpg

257533988_c656b33656.jpg

257533936_499386f05a.jpg

257534045_5154c4af2b.jpg

257534080_61cb3b83a6.jpg

Background Gaussian blur and use of the history brush in Screen mode to lighten shadows and overlay mose to bring up detail with a little unsharp mask which really brought out the red in the last one. Worked on eyes in this one as well if I remember -

Come on you lot . . .shoot me down!

Back