Beginner Do i need a laptop

Name
James russell
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have a camera and I am taking pictures (if you can call them pictures) however I am st a loss as to how to go about effectively editing them.

I dont currently have a laptop so I am limited to what I can do with my phone. The question is, do I absolutely have to have a laptop or are there other options? My lad has a chromebook that I could use but I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough or if it is even suitable to run the programs needed to edit pictures.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as currently I am kind of stumped.

To be able to view your photos properly I would say yes. Editing, that depends on how far you intend to go. Some cameras have built in basic editing function, filters. If you need more, then a computer and a screen plus photo editing software is a must.

To be able to view your photos properly I would say yes. Editing, that depends on how far you intend to go. Some cameras have built in basic editing function, filters. If you need more, then a computer and a screen plus photo editing software is a must.

Thanks i thought as much. Would you say that a chromebook would do or would I need to invest in something a little more substantial?

Short version - if you can find apps & plugins to do what you want within the chrome browser, a Chromebook might do it. I suspect it is actually going to be a frustrating task though.

Short version - if you can find apps & plugins to do what you want within the chrome browser, a Chromebook might do it. I suspect it is actually going to be a frustrating task though.
I'm assuming the likes of the android editing apps such as snapseed and photoshop Express will work but will be just as limited function wise as my phone. I need to download some apps and see what it's like.

So I have a camera and I am taking pictures (if you can call them pictures) however I am st a loss as to how to go about effectively editing them.

I dont currently have a laptop so I am limited to what I can do with my phone. The question is, do I absolutely have to have a laptop or are there other options? My lad has a chromebook that I could use but I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough or if it is even suitable to run the programs needed to edit pictures.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as currently I am kind of stumped.

You do not "absolutely have to have" a laptop. It is up to you to decide if you would prefer a tablet, laptop, or desktop, depending on your lifestyle. Sometimes it is a case of how do you want to use your computer. Some like to sit laid back on the sofa and do some editing on a tablet, some may prefer to sit at the kitchen and work on a laptop, others may have heavy duty workload, so would prefer a proper desktop setup, with monitors set at eye-level, chair set at correct height. It's really all down to lifestyle, job, and hobbies.

If you prefer editing "apps" like Snapseed and Photoshop Express as you mention in post number 5, rather than a proper "application software" you install on computer. Then you could consider the idea of a tablet (i.e.: iPad or Microsoft Surface). Most tablets tend to feel like halfway between smartphone and laptop, you can do a lot of editing on a tablet. They usually use apps which are similar to the apps you use on your phone, but usually most of them will offer more tools to use, because of bigger screens.

Nowadays, many tablets, laptops, and computers are capable of editing photos. Back in the 1980s, you would be very limited, one person having a computer with an Intel 386 processor would be unable to use a software that needed a 486 processor, but nowadays nearly all the computers are capable of running the same software. Whatever machine you buy, it will be able to do photo editing.

It really depends on how do you want to work with your machines, sitting laid back on sofa or sitting at a desk, rather than how powerful the machine is.

Ultimately it depends what you intend to do with the photos.

If you're happy simply enjoying them yourself on your phone there's perhaps little need for the stress, if instead you have intentions of making it a serious endeavour then yes I'd recommend it.

I would suggest getting a desktop computer , then you are not limited to monitor size. The bigger the monitor the easier to see what can or needs to be edited in a photo.

Nope. This is not what it is about.

Granted, a desktop computer does have a bigger monitor than a laptop screen size, But laptop vs desktop is not about screen size, it is about work position and the time spend on the computer. Someone who hardly do much work on a computer, and prefer to work anywhere, even in the kitchen or bedroom would find a laptop suited for this, while someone who spend hours and hours a day, doing serious work, would find a desktop suited for this.

It's like suggesting the person should buy a 7 seater people carrier, even thought the driver lives on his/her own, and barely picks up a passenger only once every week.

And beside, with modern technology, you can always plug your laptop into a monitor or LED television to use a bigger screen size should you need it once in a while.

Thanks for all the replies. I only intend to have the photos for my own enjoyment so I dont really need an top of the range computer. I would like to be able to edit some in order to eventually get some printed, but again, only for my own enjoyment. I'm going to have a look into this over the weekend and I might very well end up buying a desktop as I think this would better suit my lifestyle.

Thanks for all the replies. I only intend to have the photos for my own enjoyment so I dont really need an top of the range computer. I would like to be able to edit some in order to eventually get some printed, but again, only for my own enjoyment. I'm going to have a look into this over the weekend and I might very well end up buying a desktop as I think this would better suit my lifestyle.

In that case, sounds like either a tablet or a laptop. Either of those two would suit you, so suggest you look at either of those two and think about how you would feel using either one.

Remember that either way, tablet or laptop, they both are capable of what you want. You only think about where and how you would use them.

Does your camera produce RAW files or just JPG. RAW are bigger and require more storage space & processor power.

I would agree a desktop is better for working at and one or more larger screens a bonus, facility to add additional HDs but then that is my personal opinion. I have never liked laptops, I can't see the point of getting a laptop and using it plugged in on a desk with additional full size keyboard, mouse and monitor. For me laptops are for use out of the home environment. I personally prefer a desktop with 2 monitors minimum.

ps, my photos have for a long time been purely for me and despite having photo printers rarely printed any.

One thing to think about is the colour of the screen. I have a Chromebook which my kids use for homework. Put one of my photos on it and it looks awful. Very blue with little contrast. You can calibrate your screen but again how well this works depends on the quality of the screen. An iPad has a surprisingly good screen and the colours are not bad. Editing on a iPad is slower than a computer but as long as you are not doing hundreds at a time it is very easy to do. Look at the 2nd hand market but try to get one with the latest operating system. Failing that, with the size of some smart phones they can also be a good place to start.

I would suggest getting a desktop computer , then you are not limited to monitor size. The bigger the monitor the easier to see what can or needs to be edited in a photo.

to say on this....a lot of laptops (I'm using one) you can plug external monitors in. standard DVI or HDMI cable

SSD in a laptop,,,it'll probably be faster than most 5-10 year old desktops?

If I were recommending a laptop it would be an Apple - the screens are very good both for resolution and colour. Then you'd have to think about editing software so you're talking Lightroom/PS or Affinity etc. As someone else said how would you prefer to edit and what are your goals? I personally wish Snapseed was available on desktop as a plugin to PS as Nik Software used to be - Snapseed is such a good app it makes Lightroom and PS feel antiquated in my opinion. I'm sure if you'd like to continue with Snapseed there's solutions with iPads or other tablets, but outputting files for print etc would be my concern

Thanks for all of the advice. I have been playing around with snapseed on my lads chromebook and the below is what I have been able to do. this picture was quite dark to start with and I am surprised with what I have been able to do with it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/186993184@N02/0pq01c

That's a lovely picture :D and I think seeing what it's possible to do when post capture processing will maybe make you want to go down this path a little more.

One thing I don't like about desktops is that I think they can dominate a room and make a home look like an office. I much prefer a computer that can be put away out of sight when not in use :D

Whilst Apple makes lovely kit, its not cheap. If you have little requirement for a computer, then a basic desktop or laptop will suffice. If you decide to take it further you can then buy more suitable equipment.

in terms of value for money a PC is more cost effective. you can get an very suitable one for under £500.

I can understand if you do not want a desktop PC, James but I agree with the above advice.

Pound for pound you will get more and future upgrading on a desktop is a piece of cake.

Dave

On this site an admin once said my pc has a screen of 20" and ever after that I wanted one but I could only afford a 16" screen laptop and my photos now are superb ( to me ). If you go visiting family or on holiday take your laptop. They are priced reasonable now. I have Corel photo edit package and basically that's it. Remember to have an external portable drive to store your photos and that's all you need.

Laptop with dock and screen and separate keyboard and mouse is a good alternative.

Usually as I use a desktop it has to share my home desk with my work apparatus (see above)... normally working from home means crouching over a small tiny keyboard and screen and your posture goes awry... Thanks to the virus my office stuff means I have a 23" screen at eye level. Conveniently I managed to acquire my old HP laptop from work which actually fits the docking station.... win ! win!

do laptops still use docks, ? I've got an 8 year old Fuji Lifebook A531. wireless usb mouse + keybd. 19" monitor (quite old for a monitor). I'd never use my laptop regularly if it was the built in keybd+trackpad+screen. wireless kbd+mouse leaves me one usb port free for a hub for more drives

the only thing with a laptop is yeah I haven't had the need to plug in two monitors - I do have the laptop screen+external monitor

I use Polarr on Android. It's pretty powerful for an app and in my opinion is better than LR mobile. I use it for all my edits as my laptop is a dated Dual Core x86 and not many photo apps will run in it.

Back