Do I need a new router? - Current Asus RT-AC68u

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been having issues with dropped connections and sluggish behaviour from my router over the last month so am thinking about buying a new one. My current router is an Asus RT-AC68u (which I bought off here) and I don't think it is a coincidence that the issues started shortly after a firmware update.

In addition, it may also be linked to me recently adding about 10 smart bulbs and a firestick to the existing network. I've tried a few powerlines but they don't seem to help either.

My question is simple, is it worth buying a new router and if so can anyone recommend one around £150 mark that can deal with 30+ connections (mostly smart items) and also strong enough to get through an old style house with internal brick walls.

I know this probably isn't as straight forward as I make it and there is more to it but need a simple solution. :)

Thanks in advance.

If you are with BT they are advertising a router and mini hubs they guarantee connection throughout even a large house

I have had a similar issues since moving to fibre and have been through a number of router and still have the issue.

My ISP made a change two weeks ago and the connection has been stable. So keeping any eye to see if it drops again. Fingers crossed.

Before you buy a new one, do you have the router provided by your ISP?

If you do, plug that in and see if you are still getting drops. If you are, it may be an issue with your line?

Other things to check are:
Do you have any extensions running from the main socket?
Does the connection drop at a certain time in the day?

And I believe you can revert the firmware on your router to what it was before the update.

Thanks for your input both.

I'm with Virgin for close on 20 years and never really had a problem until now. My Virgin superhub 3 is pretty poor to be honest and when I've used that for wifi, I lose the signal to most of the house, which is why I bought the Asus router.

No extension leads to router as it is plugged straight into the wall socket
The connection drop is at all times of the day including a laptop that is only about 8-10 ft from the router and in the same room. I think I'll give Virgin a ring to double check there aren't any ongoing issues in my area.

If they say that there are no issues I'll look into the firmware. Would it be worth implementing a custom firmware? What are the benefits as it isn't something I've ever looked into?

Thanks for your input both.

I'm with Virgin for close on 20 years and never really had a problem until now. My Virgin superhub 3 is pretty poor to be honest and when I've used that for wifi, I lose the signal to most of the house, which is why I bought the Asus router.

No extension leads to router as it is plugged straight into the wall socket
The connection drop is at all times of the day including a laptop that is only about 8-10 ft from the router and in the same room. I think I'll give Virgin a ring to double check there aren't any ongoing issues in my area.

If they say that there are no issues I'll look into the firmware. Would it be worth implementing a custom firmware? What are the benefits as it isn't something I've ever looked into?

Ahh okay, all the issues I have mentioned are mainly for non VM ISP's. A friend had issues recently and had a VM engineer out to check that the cable coming into his property was not damaged. In the end the issues was with the VM services in the area. So worth downgrading the firmware and checking if that works fine, if not, still worth using the VM hub to see if you are getting any drops before you decide to spend a lot on a new router.

Ahh okay, all the issues I have mentioned are mainly for non VM ISP's. A friend had issues recently and had a VM engineer out to check that the cable coming into his property was not damaged. In the end the issues was with the VM services in the area. So worth downgrading the firmware and checking if that works fine, if not, still worth using the VM hub to see if you are getting any drops before you decide to spend a lot on a new router.

Thanks. I'll give that a go tonight.

Try the Merlin software which isn't radically different from OEM but focusses on stability and missing features. I used it with my RT-AC68U and use it with my current RT-AC86U.
I suspect your problem is due to the smartbulbs, etc. swamping the 2.4GHz band so try sticking to 5GHz and see if that helps.

strong enough to get through an old style house with internal brick walls.
Increasing the wireless "strength" the router is sending (and wireless connectivity is not a core function of a router, my router doesn't even have wireless networking) doesn't help when you consider that the devices connected wirelessly to the router are still replying with the same power that they always did. Routers don't broadcast (well, technically they can, but not in this context).

OFCOM limits the transmission power of unlicensed devices on the frequency ranges used in wireless networks so they will all be the same power.

Virgin super hubs are pants, I use mine in modem mode and connect it to a Netgear router. Very few if any dropouts and everything from my cctv to a WiFi cat feeder ( yup cat feeder ) connected to it.

As a quick update, I tried the Virgin hub and still had dropouts. I phoned Virgin Media up who confirmed that there were no issues at all at their end. However, within 5 minutes of ending the call my internet is back to normal with steady speeds of 100Mb+ and Wifi speeds back in the 50-60Mb. I'm not sure what they did but they obviously did something. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Chris H, I couldn't agree more regarding the Super hub being pants! Everyone I've ever had has failed to reach most of the house. The last 3 Asus routers that I've had have been much better and have far more features. It's a shame that most internet providers supply sub standard routers.

We are also with Virgin, the Superhub by itself was fine for wired connection but absolutely dire for wifi around the house. My solution was to buy an ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D
It's very simple to set up with the Superhub. Simply requires putting the Superhub into modem mode and connecting the 2 together. The wifi signal around the house is now excellent.

@Shadow

The internet drop out at my friend's house re-appeared. The VM engineer came round plugged in something near the router and the signal was low, did the same at the point it enters the house and it showed the same. So he went to the main cabinet and it was shown a better status. Turns out the connector at the main cabinet was too old.

Replaced that and all has been good, no disconnections.

Well a week later and still no issues so going to stick with my trusty Asus AC68u. Xbox one and Firestick (both in different room to router) now wired with a couple of powerlines and everything is faultless. Thanks to everyone for your comments.:ty:

Back