Do I need a rangefinder?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
I also spent half an hour in Real Camera today.... And also looked at rangefinders, and also didn't buy anything but I loved the voigtlander R3s which has an amazing Nikon S fit 50mm pancake lens, luvverly.

You may have been there at the same time as me. It was packed at the time!

I still really like the Nikon SP they had in there. I am quite fond of the focus dial thingy.

Having owned Leicas I can certainly recommend them as cameras for shooting wider lenses on. My M6 metered and with a 35 or 50 mm the lines were usable. The camera itself was a joy to use- easy to load, lovely winding action and inconspicuous. The beauty of a rangefinder are the frame lines- they allow you to watch what is coming into frame and aid with composition.

Its a different way of shooting from an SLR, as others have pointed out, really suiting 50mm and wider. I am now back on SLRs with AF as my eyesight made life tricky but if you have to have a RF then either the Leica or Voigtlanders are the way to go.

You have to own a good RF at least once to know if you can shoot with them! ;)

The benefit of buying a classic camera, whether a Leica, a Hasselblad etc is that unless you don't do any homework at all and buy at a vastly inflated price you're not likely to lose money.
In actual fact if you decide after playing with it for a while that it's not for you and if you bought carefully you may even make a little on the deal.

Having owned Leicas I can certainly recommend them as cameras for shooting wider lenses on. My M6 metered and with a 35 or 50 mm the lines were usable. The camera itself was a joy to use- easy to load, lovely winding action and inconspicuous. The beauty of a rangefinder are the frame lines- they allow you to watch what is coming into frame and aid with composition.

Its a different way of shooting from an SLR, as others have pointed out, really suiting 50mm and wider. I am now back on SLRs with AF as my eyesight made life tricky but if you have to have a RF then either the Leica or Voigtlanders are the way to go.

You have to own a good RF at least once to know if you can shoot with them! ;)
The benefit of buying a classic camera, whether a Leica, a Hasselblad etc is that unless you don't do any homework at all and buy at a vastly inflated price you're not likely to lose money.
In actual fact if you decide after playing with it for a while that it's not for you and if you bought carefully you may even make a little on the deal.
the thing with leica's are they do just have a special something about them...

Not helping! :LOL:

I was quite happy but now I'm sat here wishing I'd got that M2 + 50 mm Summicron! Ha.

36 frames on a roll seems a lot though! :LOL:

They also had an M4 in but for the extra I'm not sure there's much more benefit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not helping! :LOL:

I was quite happy but now I'm sat here wishing I'd got that M2 + 50 mm Summicron! Ha.

36 frames on a roll seems a lot though! :LOL:

They also had an M4 in but for the extra I'm not sure there's much more benefit?

I would shoot with an M2 or jump up to an M6 for the metering. ;)

Yashica Electro GLE : awesome lens!

and when you get bored of that film stuff you can rip the lens off and stick it on some digital monstrosity ...

Prompted by this thread I got my Yashica Electro 35 G out for an airing today and shot a roll off HP5 around Oxford in the wet and gloom.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. And to be honest I'm not that fussed how the shots turn out LOL!

Well, I have finally given in and got myself one. A 1960 (according to the serial) Leica M2 with 50mm Summicron (rigid). Apparently the previous owner was someone called Ken Wilson, who is a rock climbing photogrpaher and has a few books available to buy.

Anyways, it has been fully serviced and everything operates as it should. They threw in a few rolls of something called Kentmere 400 which I have never tried before so will give it a go. Hopefully this will be my 'go anywhere camera'. Will see how that pans out! Right now though, I am really happy. :)

Kentmere 400 is a budget film produced by Illford, its pretty grainy compared to Tri-x or HP5+ but its perfectly serviceable and can add a "look" that you don't immediately get from more modern emulsions, its a bit tougher and better quality controlled than second tier brands.

Well, I have finally given in and got myself one. A 1960 (according to the serial) Leica M2 with 50mm Summicron (rigid). Apparently the previous owner was someone called Ken Wilson, who is a rock climbing photogrpaher and has a few books available to buy.

Anyways, it has been fully serviced and everything operates as it should. They threw in a few rolls of something called Kentmere 400 which I have never tried before so will give it a go. Hopefully this will be my 'go anywhere camera'. Will see how that pans out! Right now though, I am really happy. :)

I thought I added to this thread a few posts back but doesn't look like I did.

Congratulations on the purchase! I'm sure you will love the M2. Having used an M6, M2 and owning an M3, I personally prefer the feel of the M2/3. To me, everything just feels more solid and smooth.
I found the rangefinder patch to be clearer too whereas the M6 would easily flare. Manual metering isn't really a big deal either to be honest (as you probably know with the Blad)

Enjoy :)

It's easy to get 39 frames out of a Leica so it'll save you money in the long run. :p

Will see how I get on. Seemed to load the first one ok by myself.

Kentmere 400 is a budget film produced by Illford, its pretty grainy compared to Tri-x or HP5+ but its perfectly serviceable and can add a "look" that you don't immediately get from more modern emulsions, its a bit tougher and better quality controlled than second tier brands.

Thanks. Trying to get through it quickly to test the camera out really so will try and finish it today or tomorrow and get it developed. Then will decide whether to use the other two straight away or swap for Tri-X or HP5+

I thought I added to this thread a few posts back but doesn't look like I did.

Congratulations on the purchase! I'm sure you will love the M2. Having used an M6, M2 and owning an M3, I personally prefer the feel of the M2/3. To me, everything just feels more solid and smooth.
I found the rangefinder patch to be clearer too whereas the M6 would easily flare. Manual metering isn't really a big deal either to be honest (as you probably know with the Blad)

Enjoy :)

Thank you :) . Yes, I have been manual metering with the Hasselblad so don't mind it really. Although the chap in the shop had his own M@ with a meter on the hotshoe which looked pretty cool.

Good choice! It is also correct that you can usually get 38-39 frames out of an M once you are proficient at loading the film...

Back