do i need a tripod and a head?

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all

i'm very new to photography and have just got myself a sony a200.

i'd like to do some landscape shots and know that i need a tripod for this. please could someone explain in newbie terms exactly what i need and what my options are ideally for less than £100

thanks in advance
stu

Hi Stu and welcome,

Being faily new here myself i had a similar question.

I originally bought a cheap Hama tripod (£25) as it had quite good reviews (for the price), hwever, i found that it really wasn't sturdy enough for me to feel comfortable attaching my camera and lens to it. I had visions of it letting go of my kit and causing untold damage.

My budget was the same as yours and after looking around on here i came across reviews about the redsnapper tripod and head so i bought one (you get 10% discount by being a member here (y))

I haven't had a chance to use it as i only received it yestrerday but i can tell you it's a really well built and high quality bit of kit.

Others on here will have a few other comments to add, but if you do a search for redsnapper on the forum, you'll probably find that it'll suit you quite well.

S

The 2nd Redsnapper recommendation of the thread - get a Redsnapper tripod and ball head, and that should come in on budget!! :D

nice one, thanks guys...

so what model would it be and how do you get the 10% discount?

cheers
stu

think about the head. If you plan on panoramas or suchlike a head where you can turn the head without mucking up the position of the camera is useful. A Pan/Tilt head offers this, but some ball heads can do this as well.

with what i have heard on here - redsnapper seem the way to go with your budget - you will always enjoy a good tripod.

I dont see why you need a trypod for landscapes? if you are taking shots at night or low light then yes you will but for just mid day landscapes then no you dont need a tripod.

i find the best landscapes are evening and mornings so i think one is essential.

That Redsnapper is NOT budget! £49.99+£49.99=as near as £100 as damn it (Ok its £99.98 exactly)

I have a Sevendayshop.com £10.99 special. I'm happy with it, Though its only really used to stabilise my 300mm lens in low light.

That Redsnapper is NOT budget! £49.99+£49.99=as near as £100 as damn it (Ok its £99.98 exactly)

I have a Sevendayshop.com £10.99 special. I'm happy with it, Though its only really used to stabilise my 300mm lens in low light.

I've got one as well, it's a bit plasticky but superb value for money, they offer a 30 day money back if you don't like it :clap:

Direct Link

If you're talking about this one

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=99654

Then that's a bargain as it's identical to the Hama one i bought for £25, but in my opinion it didn't feel safe for my camera.

Hence why i personally chose to spend £100 for something i'm confident with.

I guess it's whatever suits.

S

i agree £100 is budget compared to what you can pay for tripods - i have just spent £180 on a tripod and head setup. Not because i have a lot of moeny but because with my future upgrades planned i know it will cope. i know it will last.

and besides what is £100 when you are putting housands of pounds of equipment on it?

The Redsnapper heads are not budget perhaps, but a set good quality of legs for £50 isn't exactly expensive???

Redsnapper are very good VFM............(y)

Buy cheap, pay twice, as I learnt to my cost about tripods......:bang:

With my limited experience, i already know that i wouldn't recommend that anybody put a few hundred pounds worth of kit on a £25 tripod (i know this because i did it). Exactly the same as if some one asked for ideas on a camera bag i wouldn't recommend a plastic carrier bag from the local shop (i haven't done this!).

Could i also try to bring this thread back on track? The OP didn't ask for a 'budget' tripod, he asked what he needed for landscapes, and what he could get for less than £100.

The less than £100 I could answer, but i'm too inexperienced to say what is actually 'needed' for landscape photography. Maybe you guys can let him know?

S

I dont see why you need a trypod for landscapes? if you are taking shots at night or low light then yes you will but for just mid day landscapes then no you dont need a tripod.

I would say the primary purpose of a tripod for landscape photography is to allow you to compose the picture more accurately. Keeping the camera steady is only really a secondary role. For that reason, I would strongly suggest using a tripod for every shot you take, only hand-holding where the tripod is really impractical. You're mileage may vary.

Just goes to show what a wide range there is to landscape photography. As far as I'm concerned, a tripod is a must for any photographer. Just a shame I broke mine about a month ago... two legged tripods just aren't as stable LOL. I'm seriously looking at the Redsnapper to. Yet to decide on a head (can only afford one, so want it to be the most versatile for me). Have been looking at secondhand pro gear to.

thanks for everyone's input on this... much appreciated

looks like i'll be ordering the redsnapper stuff come payday!

Hi Stu,

Firstly, welcome to the forums :)
Redsnapper gets my vote as well.
When you place the order with Joe, don't forget to mention that you are a member of TP and he will give you a 10% discount.

Its worth a look on here aswell: Ffordes as they are selling quite a lot of ex demo kit at the minute I got a Manfrotto 190XB + 390RC2 head for £69 (£76 delivered) its like new!

Back