Do I need an FM3a

David I share your NAS but I have keep it a bit real and to be fair I could also go bananas and have one of everything but it would give me a nice bit of satisfaction with one piece that gets used a lot and was designed to do so like the F3 so I am going to have a think.

Given the prices you can pick them up for I would aspire to own both. Each has its merit's & strong points compared to the other & they are both outstanding camera's IMO.

Absolutely - I think I mentioned this earlier, seeing as I was shooting with an FE2 and an F3 together recently. Both wonderful cameras. I prefer the slightly lower profile of the FE2 (I have the HP viewfinder on my F3, which juts out a tad), but the F3 is still great.

David I share your NAS but I have keep it a bit real and to be fair I could also go bananas and have one of everything but it would give me a nice bit of satisfaction with one piece that gets used a lot and was designed to do so like the F3 so I am going to have a think.

If you shop around you should be able to pick up decent examples of both bodies for not much over £200. This is a lot less than the prices that the FM3 that you mentioned originally go for hence why I suggested it. Ebay prices that I have seen lately are £300 for a beat up one, £700 for a mint one & £1000 for a brand new one.

If it helps with the decision, here is probably the best resource on the F3 on the web: http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/

They also have a page for the FE2 that you can get to through the links as the bottom, but it is nowhere near as detailed.

You can find the instruction manuals for both (as well as the FM3) for download here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon.htm

They may help also....

NAS is bad indeed & a bit expensive, but I have stopped short of having one of everything. Once I said to myself that I would have an example of every 35mm SLR Nikon ever made. Then I saw sense & said just the manual focus bodies as most of the plastic AF bodies did nothing for me but after getting the F2 recently I think that my buying is at an end body wise. The only thing that I can see me adding is an 85mm F2 AIS Nikkor if I can find one at the right price. Sticking on 10 bodies & 16 Nikkors lol.

I think I am now leaning towards an FE2 it looks like it will do everything I want, cant think of an negatives on it and better pricing to be had, seeing some realy great ones for £140 mark which is ok for me ish.

Back