Do I need another flash?

djs

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, a bit of help needed.

My current setup = Bowens 500/500 Kit

I've been getting away with using just 2 lights for doing Portraits, 1 on the backdrop and 1 on the subject. But it does require a fair bit of editing because using 1 light on the backdrop isn't always enough to fully light it. So part of the backdrop ends up grey, while the rest is blown out white.

Now in a couple of weeks I'll be doing an "all dayer" at the local church-house.
On Thursdays the church-house holds a parent and toddler day, which is the same day I'll be doing the shoots.
So there will probably be between 2-4 people in each frame.

I'm wondering whether it will be worth me paying out for a 3rd flash head.
So it would be...2 lights on the backdrop, and 1 light for the subjects.

If I was just doing 1 shoot, then I'd stick with what I've got. But let's say if 5 parents want photoshoots on the day, that gonna be a lot of editing if the backdrop isn't fully lit.

Or could I get away with having a flash on one side of the backdrop, and a reflector on the other side? I'm not sure a reflector would be enough to light the rest of the backdrop.

What do you think? From your experience, would it be easier for me to just get the extra flash?
I'm a little nervous about this, as this is my 1st time I will be getting paid for the final photos. So I'm kinda throwing myself in at the deep end, and hoping I don't sink

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Daniel

(Is there anything important I should also be thinking about? I'm thinking cabling may be a problem)

Yes, an extra flash on the background would be a big help.

No, a reflector wouldn't solve the problem. Bear in mind that light loses power over distance, (very) roughly it follows the inverse square law i.e. double the distance and you only get a 1/4 of the light. So, by the time the light has travelled from one side of the background to the other, bounced off the reflector(which doesn't reflect anywhere near all the light that hits it) and then bounced back to your background, there won't be much left.

Getting one of the Bowens background reflectors, overpriced but very useful, would be a definate help.

Depends on the style of portrait. For example high key portraits, you can do with two lights but it is easier / faster, OK .. lazier ... with three. But if you are doing this all day you want a production line and don't want to be faffing about.

If it is low key you are after a couple of light and a reflector will be plenty.

Depends on the style of portrait. For example high key portraits, you can do with two lights but it is easier / faster, OK .. lazier ... with three. But if you are doing this all day you want a production line and don't want to be faffing about.

If it is low key you are after a couple of light and a reflector will be plenty.

As I read the post, he doesn't want high key or low key, he just wants the background to be white.

Yes, that's the one but at £118....

As it happens I do know of another make, exactly the same product for about £50 but they won't be available until early next week.

A second light might be a better solution, at least it will be more versatile.

Place your one light differently - don't light the background from the side is my initial reaction to this one. Light it from low upwards, centred, so any fall off is even.

Pose on a stool, sofa, whatever and hide the background light behind it. Shoot from lower so that you can't see the background light.

Same but from above: hang the light from a bracket on the ceiling pointing down at the background.

Place your one light differently - don't light the background from the side is my initial reaction to this one. Light it from low upwards, centred, so any fall off is even.

Pose on a stool, sofa, whatever and hide the background light behind it. Shoot from lower so that you can't see the background light.

Same but from above: hang the light from a bracket on the ceiling pointing down at the background.

It's a good idea which I had thought about, but I'm not gonna have the time or equipment to hang the light from the ceiling on the day.
Having the flash in the middle and on the floor behind a chair would work, but I (and probably the parents too) would like to vary the shots. So not having all the subject sit on a chair or prop.

It's just going to be an empty room, all I'll have is my equipment and a couple of simple props. Otherwise I could have done this.

And thanks for taking the time to reply too

Daniel

Failing this...have you tried this when you have a slightly grey area on your white background?

In Photoshop.. open the levels command and instead of the sliders... see the eyedropper tools underneath and click on the right hand one (white) and then click on the image on the white background.. or the greyish bit.. and it will all turn white.

This might solve your probs for the time being till you get new lights.

Back