Do I need filters for my hols?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to Florida on my summer hols in three weeks :woot: and I'm unsure whether I should invest in some filters :thinking:. tbh I've never felt a need for them but I'm consious how much brighter it's likely to be over there. I'm, spending a week in Orlando, doing Disney etc with the kids, then spending a week in Naples on the beach. It's here that I'm more worried about the need for filters. If so, what should I go for? Polarisers? ND Grads? :shrug: any advise would be much appreciated :help: :)

and maybe a couple of ND grads to bring out the detail in that sky :)

They are always good for a bit of messing about and trying something new.

P Holder & Catalogue = £7.99
Adaptors = £7.50
ND Grads = £14.50
(all prices from Warehouse Express)

Granted the price can mount up when you buy more and more, but they arent exactly wallet busting prices :)

I'd definitely consider taking a polariser with you - as Joe has already said, will make those lovely blue skies even bluer, and any foliage even greener :)
I may have some screw on ND grads you can borrow - depends on your lens sizes. PM me if interested.

Can't say I've ever looked at filter much beyond polarisers (which I agree is a must have). Screw on ND grads... I take it that limits you to a 50-50 split? Is that a problem? Just thinking it seems an easy to carry solution.

Screw on ND grads... I take it that limits you to a 50-50 split? Is that a problem? Just thinking it seems an easy to carry solution.

:wacky: Sorry - that's me having a girly moment :embarrassed: I have screw on ND filters - they're NOT grads, just bog standard ND 4 and ND 8....oops. Thanks for pointing that out RobertP

I'd be more concerned with factor 30, a pair of big speedo's and a hat....

but then I am a grumpy old git..

as said, polariser screw on if you have all lenses the same diameter, ND grads (with holder)

Yes! definately a polariser, its handy to cut down the glare reflecting from all those oiled up lovelies walking down the beach........:naughty: :naughty:
Dean:)

Screw in NDs would annoy me no end. I am always moving it up or down a tad to get the blend on the horizon etc.

I'd be more concerned with factor 30, a pair of big speedo's and a hat....

but then I am a grumpy old git..

as said, polariser screw on if you have all lenses the same diameter, ND grads (with holder)

Only if we all get to see the pictures...... BEV!!!!!

Trust me - anyone who's met me will know that me in Speedo's would NOT be a pretty sight :puke: :eek:

Thanks for the tips everyone - looks like a polariser is a must then, with ND Grads a pretty useful option too (y)

I swear by both my polariser and ND grad's but given the choice I would go grads first and foremost. Anything outdoor and they are essential is you don't want to blow highlight and have a nice exposure balnace in those landscape shots.

Back