Beginner Do I need to start using a gym now !!

No you can just do your workout with it at home and on location :D some sort of support is allowed the first couple of months

Last edited by a moderator:
As Crocodile Dundee would say,

that's not a heavy lens .......... this (put a image in someone), is a heavy lens

looks like an 70 200mm f2.8VR to me

Last edited:
Yes get a monopod.

I used the Sigma 150-600C in anger yesterday for the first time for the Birmingham Velo 100 and started off hand held.

Put the monopod on and it was another world.

New lens has arrived, its a hefty old lump. Do I start using a gym or buy a mono pods or whatever they are called !
Probably not.

My experience based on talking to hundreds of our customers is that *most* people can cope comfortably with lenses that are up to about 200mm long. weigh up to about 1.5kg, and have focal lengths up to about 400mm. That includes the 70-200mm f/2.8 and also things like 300mm f/4, 100-400mm, 80-400mm. It's when lenses start to get heavier and/or longr and/or longer focal length that *most* people start to struggle. The physical length of the lens is a factor because if you can tuck your left elbow into your ribs that makes the camera much more stable, but that's harder to do with longer lenses. The focal length is also a factor because longer focal lengths magnify any instability.

i would recommend a monopod as well. If you have to hold a lens for a period of time it is tiring .The Nikon 70-200 and the 80-400 latest versions I find quite heavy when bolted to a camera with a grip attached. Even a tripod if not moving position that often

Last edited:
Get a black rapid strap you will find that far more useful than a tripod / monopod with that lens

Depends on length of time holding a heavyish bit of kit. Yes that strap for carrying maybe but for won't support in the photo taking position

Probably not.

My experience based on talking to hundreds of our customers is that *most* people can cope comfortably with lenses that are up to about 200mm long. weigh up to about 1.5kg, and have focal lengths up to about 400mm. That includes the 70-200mm f/2.8 and also things like 300mm f/4, 100-400mm, 80-400mm. It's when lenses start to get heavier and/or longr and/or longer focal length that *most* people start to struggle. The physical length of the lens is a factor because if you can tuck your left elbow into your ribs that makes the camera much more stable, but that's harder to do with longer lenses. The focal length is also a factor because longer focal lengths magnify any instability.

I just need to get out and practice [emoji106]

Thank you for your excellent reply.

You've only got one back and its got to last you the rest of your life. No shame in using a monopod.
No none at all and mono pods are very good but I am sure he will find it more a hinderance than useful most of the time (yes sometimes will be useful but I feel will be more a hiderance most of the time with his lens)

I used to be anti monopod but after twisting whilst climbing over tyre barriers at Anglesey track years ago leaving me in a lot of pain (and then having to pitch a tent and then sleep in it) I decided that anything that can help preserve your back is worthwhile. I shoot sports mostly and wouldn't be without it, even for modest lenses.

After my fall and damaging my wrist leaving it a bit weak, I still find it easier wearing a wrist support strap and a monopod

I used one of these for up to an hour at a time during speeches at Weddings, I had a cheap monopod (about £25 as I recall from Jessops) and never bought a head for it, I just screwed it straight into the lens' collar and rotated to 'portrait' orientation through that

Since I replaced it with an 85mm I've not needed the monopod once, but it defo makes sense to use one for lenses like this & bigger

Oh and I go to the gym regularly too :)

Dave

I used to be anti monopod but after twisting whilst climbing over tyre barriers at Anglesey track years ago leaving me in a lot of pain (and then having to pitch a tent and then sleep in it) I decided that anything that can help preserve your back is worthwhile. I shoot sports mostly and wouldn't be without it, even for modest lenses.

OOOoooo I like that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The 70-200 does feel like a heft lump until you use something heavier. I find my 70-200 is my lightweight option that I can easily hand hold it without any problems. If you are trying to hold it up for an extended length of time, say waiting for an animal to actually do something, it can feel heavy and start to make my arms wobble after a minute or so but generally raising the camera-take the shot-then lower its absolutely fine. The one piece of advice I can give is don't dangle the 70-200 from the nikon strap. Firstly it will be uncomfortable and secondly nikon advise against it as it put too much strain on the camera lens mount. I use a black rapid strap attached to the tripod foot to take the weight. There are plenty of other straps out there that can be attached by the tripod foot. I've never got on with a monopod. If you are going to be shooting from one height for an extended length of time, say sports, a monopod can be useful. For wildlife I find it gets in the way and can't go as low as my tripod can.

You just need to get used to supporting the lens with one hand and the camera with the other. You'll soon get used to it.

Back