Do I need to twitter?!!

Name
King
Edit My Images
Yes
I heard about Twitter but can someone explain a bit more about it. Is it like Skype and am I right in thinking TalkPhotography is on there?

Are there any bad things about it?

I heard about Twitter but can someone explain a bit more about it. Is it like Skype and am I right in thinking TalkPhotography is on there?

Are there any bad things about it?

Marcel does the best description, its basically just facebook statuses.

I tried it, but am much more addicted to Facebook and this forum >:eek:)

Social networking type site you can say basically what you are doing and where yada yada yada.
I don't do any social networking i don't even do msn.

I could be wrong as never looked at it but don't think it has anything to do with skype but im sure skype will interface somewhere i do stand to be corrected as never looked into it so I'm just fuzzy logic

There was a resent new story say despite all the hype Twitter is not really taking off apparently over 90% of post are by lee the 10% of users.

Simple answer is NO you don't need to twitter.

I don't MSN, Twitter, Facebook, AOL Messenger or any of the others, life is for living, not tell the world every anal detail about yourself.

Twitter is brilliant, you are allowed to use up to 140 characters so it is micro blogging.

What is so good about it is you can find out very quickly about what's happening, which is how I use it, I also post updates about events and sightings to my website.

Here is an example of how it works for a photographer: I know there are Peregrines nesting at Malham Cove in North Yorkshire and the RSPB have a twitter via http://BANNED/malhamperegrine I subscirbe to it and get the updates and find out when the chicks hatch and fly etc, making my visit easier rather than just relying on info that might be days old. I went and got shots of chicks before they flew thanks to their twitter.

If it's absolutely imperitive for you to know who had bacon for breakfast and the daily movements of people who have nothing better to do than tell the world they had bacon...............then twitter is for you.

If you have already had your bacon and are off out to actually live life then you can easily survive without it.

If you are a pro it is a useful marketing tool, personally I prefer it to Facebook, but just use it as a social tool, with a bit of automatic blog publicising when I post to my bolg.

It's good on a number of levels.

I keep up with friends, and other photographers.

Like most things in life you get out of it what you want to.

I use twitter by linking it to Pixelpost on my website. As soon as I upload a new shot on my website, it tweets the title of the shot with a link to it. My Facebook status also updates with the twitter line. this way I can easily advertise new shots. :)

:coat:
Yeah man .... Togs keeping it real :woot:

I work in IT so I was always doomed to be grabbed by it :coat:

Actually the truth is I only registered to make sure I did not loose my name and only post the occasional haiku

Twitter is a bit bizarre. Many people go through a sequence in their relationship with twitter.

Starts off with a general mocking and lothing, dismissing it as some trivial Facebook/Myspace thing for kids.

Then you get friends who are using Twitter, so you sign up to see what the fuss is about. You decide you really can't see what the fuss is about and stop.

Then you start to see twitter feeds for all kinds of things you're interested in (whether it's people, news feeds, companies, etc), and you start following them. Things get a bit more interesting then.

Then you discover hashtags, trends, etc, and it becomes more obvious as to why it could be useful. Had some situations recently where I was trying to find information on some events going on, and Twitter had more than Google was turning up.

Basically, following your friends is fairly boring. Tweeting your daily activities is of little interest to others and only serves as an ego trip to the tweeter. Following people who actually are interesting however can be fun and sometimes useful. Following news and information feeds are more useful still though.

To me at the moment Twitter is like RSS feeds, but far easier to use and it's an immediate notification.

Still, it could be all a fad.

RSS is better than Twitter by a long shot. Unless you want to know who is on the toilet, what someone had for dinner last night or that "this coffee is great!"

RSS is better than Twitter by a long shot. Unless you want to know who is on the toilet, what someone had for dinner last night or that "this coffee is great!"

im just getting into RSS feeds at the momennt, get them on my phone so i can see whats going on in the news and in motorsport.

There are twitter feeds for useful things though (including many sites that offer RSS feeds). In fact I've even got a few photography related twitter feeds. BBC do a number of their news feeds on Twitter now too.

I find it easier than messing about with copying RSS URLs and I've yet to find a decent enough RSS feed reader that I can use anywhere on PCs, mobiles, etc, without having to re-enter all my feeds. Google Reader is the most useful to me, though not great on mobiles without a decent native app (at least not on my Nokia).

I use both though.

I'm not totally sold on Twitter, but I see a lot of value in it. It all depends on the content though. Ignoring the "what I had for breakfast" and "I'm on the toilet" stuff of course ;)

Skype really is just of use to make cheap phone calls in the main. Mostly of interest to international users to call friends abroad.

My objection to Skype is on a technical level, more around the fact it's not the industry standard agreed form of Voice over IP (VoIP) technology and is a bloated P2P based system. Skype does not equal VoIP, but most people believe that because of the marketing. Sad as it's stifling the development of standard VoIP technology and competition, and pushing an unsuitable and inefficient system of VoIP, despite the vast amount of hardware out there that supports the true standard.

As an example, many new Nokia phones have integrated VoIP support via the industry standard SIP system. All of that is a waste with Skype and you instead have to install an extra application that runs on top of everything else, consuming resources and doesn't necessarily integrate nicely.

But anyway, that's my 'Geek' point of view really :D. Consumers don't care so long as it does the job.

Skype really is just of use to make cheap phone calls in the main. Mostly of interest to international users to call friends abroad.

My objection to Skype is on a technical level, more around the fact it's not the industry standard agreed form of Voice over IP (VoIP) technology and is a bloated P2P based system. Skype does not equal VoIP, but most people believe that because of the marketing. Sad as it's stifling the development of standard VoIP technology and competition, and pushing an unsuitable and inefficient system of VoIP, despite the vast amount of hardware out there that supports the true standard.

Not sure about the technical aspects of skype but to say it's not voip is incorrect. It clearly is voip! Just using different standards to everyone else :) On a positive note - Skype for SIP beta

There are twitter feeds for useful things though (including many sites that offer RSS feeds). In fact I've even got a few photography related twitter feeds. BBC do a number of their news feeds on Twitter now too.

I find it easier than messing about with copying RSS URLs and I've yet to find a decent enough RSS feed reader that I can use anywhere on PCs, mobiles, etc, without having to re-enter all my feeds. Google Reader is the most useful to me, though not great on mobiles without a decent native app (at least not on my Nokia).

I use both though.

I'm not totally sold on Twitter, but I see a lot of value in it. It all depends on the content though. Ignoring the "what I had for breakfast" and "I'm on the toilet" stuff of course ;)

the native reader on my sony ericsson seems very good, brings all the feeds up as a ticker on the standby screen of the phone. i dont bother with rss feeds at home as i can browse the sites quick enough on my laptop to negate their usage!

I was going to suggest google reader, but it seems that you have already found it. The iPhone web version works OK, can't see why the Nokia version would be different...

Not sure about the technical aspects of skype but to say it's not voip is incorrect. It clearly is voip! Just using different standards to everyone else :) On a positive note - Skype for SIP beta
True, though what I mean is when people talk about VoIP they just mean Skype.

I was going to suggest google reader, but it seems that you have already found it. The iPhone web version works OK, can't see why the Nokia version would be different...
Problem with Nokia is the web browser is pretty rubbish. Aside from the nice page preview system that is. Biggest problem is the time it takes to launch the browser and get into something like Google Reader. It's just too much hassle. That's when it doesn't crash after viewing 2 pages because it's run out of memory!

Then again, Nokia's browser has RSS feed reading built in. Still too much hassle to use, and it's yet another RSS reader to maintain. New Nokias are starting to integrate RSS into the main screen though.

As for PCs, yeah I can just browse around rather than use RSS but I find I check up on so many sites now I need one place to contain them all, but also share what I subscribe to so I can pick those feeds up anywhere I am on any PC. Google Reader does that nicely. Twitter does it a bit better for me in a way, but it doesn't cover everything RSS does. It just covers other stuff though that RSS may miss.

e.g. RSS gives a push only feed of relatively formal style of information. Twitter can provide opinions and views on the same information and a means of feeding back easily (without having to go to the relevant site and signing in to make a comment etc).

All have their place really I think :)

:plus1:

Nice to know that I'm not alone. Never really saw the point of it all, although I may have to be tempted with Skype now my best friend is moving to Lanzarote next month!

Nor me. But free skype on a 3 network skype phone is another matter. That saves me loads of money and is as mobile and versatile as normal mobile phone for UK 2 UK calls.

Nor me. But free skype on a 3 network skype phone is another matter. That saves me loads of money and is as mobile and versatile as normal mobile phone for UK 2 UK calls.
Have wondered about that. Is it actually free, or does it consume data instead?

I get free VoIP through various SIP providers (not Skype), so long as I use a free WiFi connection, but the downside is finding someone else with a SIP account I can call. Pretty much no one I know. Still, I get free 0800 calls from my mobile and landline rates for landline and 0845 numbers which is handy. More so as I have to use my mobile at work.

Back